Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Rank ISH's top 15 NBA Players of All-Time in offense, defense, and rebounding (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278703)

fpliii 10-15-2012 05:23 PM

Rank ISH's GOAT 15 NBA Players in offense, defense, and rebounding
 
Here's the list from Deuce's thread:

1. Michael Jordan
2. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
3. Bill Russell
4. Magic Johnson
5. Larry Bird
6. Wilt Chamberlain
7. Shaquille O'Neal
8. Kobe Bryant
9. Tim Duncan
10. Hakeem Olajuwon
11. Lebron James
12. Moses Malone
13. Oscar Robertson
14. Jerry West
15. Julius Erving

Clifton 10-15-2012 05:28 PM

Re: Rank ISH's top 15 NBA Players of All-Time in offense, defense, and rebounding
 
1. Michael Jordan = 10/10/9
2. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar = don't know
3. Bill Russell = don't know
4. Magic Johnson = 10/7/9
5. Larry Bird = 10/8/9
6. Wilt Chamberlain = don't know
7. Shaquille O'Neal = 9/8/9
8. Kobe Bryant = 8/7/7
9. Tim Duncan = 8/9/9
10. Hakeem Olajuwon = don't know
11. Lebron James = 9/9/9
12. Moses Malone = don't know
13. Oscar Robertson = don't know
14. Jerry West = don't know
15. Julius Erving = don't know

lakerspng 10-15-2012 05:39 PM

Re: Rank ISH's top 15 NBA Players of All-Time in offense, defense, and rebounding
 
I added in "playmaking" category. not a ton of time to put a lot of thought into my answers but... here goes *shrugs*


Offense
1. Wilt Chamberlain
2. Michael Jordan
3. Kobe Bryant
4. Kareem Abdul Jabbar
5. Shaquille O'Neal
6. Larry Bird
7. Hakeem Olajuwon
8. Jerry West
9. Magic Johnson
10. Oscar Robertson
11. Lebron James
12. Julius Erving
13. Moses Malone
14. Tim Duncan
15. Bill Russell

Defense
1. Michael Jordan
2. Bill Russell
3. Tim Duncan
4. Wilt Chamberlain
5. Larry Bird
6. Kareem Abdul Jabbar
7. Moses Malone
8. Kobe Bryant
9. Lebron James
10. Hakeem Olajuwon
11. Shaquille O'Neal
12. Magic Johnson
13. Oscar Robertson
14. Jerry West
15. Julius Erving

Rebounding
1. Wilt Chamberlain
2. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
3. Bill Russell
4. Moses Malone
5. Tim Duncan
6. Shaquille O'Neal
7. Hakeem Olajuwan
8. Larry Bird
9. Oscar Robertson
10. Magic Johnson
11. Michael Jordan
12. Lebron James
13. Kobe Bryant
14. Jerry West
15. Julius Erving

Playmaking
1. Magic Johnson
2. Lebron James
3. Jerry West
4. Michael Jordan
5. Kobe Bryant
6. Oscar Robertson
7. Larry Bird
8. Kareem Abdul Jabbar
9. Wilt Chamberlain
10. Hakeem Olajuwon
11. Bill Russell
12. Julius Erving
13. Tim Duncan
14. Shaquille O'Neal
15. Moses Malone

WillC 10-15-2012 06:57 PM

Re: Rank ISH's top 15 NBA Players of All-Time in offense, defense, and rebounding
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lakerspng
Playmaking
1. Magic Johnson
2. Lebron James
3. Jerry West
4. Michael Jordan
5. Kobe Bryant
6. Oscar Robertson
7. Larry Bird
8. Kareem Abdul Jabbar
9. Wilt Chamberlain
10. Hakeem Olajuwon
11. Bill Russell
12. Julius Erving
13. Tim Duncan
14. Shaquille O'Neal
15. Moses Malone


Did you really just rank Kobe Bryant ahead of Oscar Robertson at playmaking? :facepalm

Oscar Robertson led the NBA in assists per game for 7 seasons. And not just by a small margin; he literally blew the competition out of the water, e.g. in 1963-64 when he averaged 11.0apg compared with 7.0apg for the second best passer in the league.

Out of those 15 players, Oscar Robertson easily deserves to be in the top 2 alongside Magic Johnson.

Without a doubt, Oscar Robertson is the most underrated superstar on ISH.

Deuce Bigalow 10-15-2012 07:17 PM

Re: Rank ISH's top 15 NBA Players of All-Time in offense, defense, and rebounding
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lakerspng
Offense
1. Wilt Chamberlain
2. Michael Jordan

Finals PPG
MJ: 34
Wilt: 18

Playoffs PPG
MJ: 33
Wilt: 22

Finals FT%
MJ: 81
Wilt: 38

Playoffs FT%
MJ: 83
Wilt: 45

b1imtf 10-15-2012 07:22 PM

Re: Rank ISH's top 15 NBA Players of All-Time in offense, defense, and rebounding
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deuce Bigalow
Finals PPG
MJ: 34
Wilt: 18

Playoffs PPG
MJ: 33
Wilt: 22

Finals FT%
MJ: 81
Wilt: 38

Playoffs FT%
MJ: 83
Wilt: 45

Burned

fpliii 10-15-2012 11:41 PM

Re: Rank ISH's top 15 NBA Players of All-Time in offense, defense, and rebounding
 
:rockon:

Miller for 3 10-15-2012 11:50 PM

Re: Rank ISH's top 15 NBA Players of All-Time in offense, defense, and rebounding
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lakerspng
I added in "playmaking" category. not a ton of time to put a lot of thought into my answers but... here goes *shrugs*


Offense
1. Wilt Chamberlain
2. Michael Jordan
3. Kobe Bryant
4. Kareem Abdul Jabbar
5. Shaquille O'Neal
6. Larry Bird
7. Hakeem Olajuwon
8. Jerry West
9. Magic Johnson
10. Oscar Robertson
11. Lebron James
12. Julius Erving
13. Moses Malone
14. Tim Duncan
15. Bill Russell

Defense
1. Michael Jordan
2. Bill Russell
3. Tim Duncan
4. Wilt Chamberlain
5. Larry Bird
6. Kareem Abdul Jabbar
7. Moses Malone
8. Kobe Bryant
9. Lebron James
10. Hakeem Olajuwon
11. Shaquille O'Neal
12. Magic Johnson
13. Oscar Robertson
14. Jerry West
15. Julius Erving

Rebounding
1. Wilt Chamberlain
2. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
3. Bill Russell
4. Moses Malone
5. Tim Duncan
6. Shaquille O'Neal
7. Hakeem Olajuwan
8. Larry Bird
9. Oscar Robertson
10. Magic Johnson
11. Michael Jordan
12. Lebron James
13. Kobe Bryant
14. Jerry West
15. Julius Erving

Playmaking
1. Magic Johnson
2. Lebron James
3. Jerry West
4. Michael Jordan
5. Kobe Bryant
6. Oscar Robertson
7. Larry Bird
8. Kareem Abdul Jabbar
9. Wilt Chamberlain
10. Hakeem Olajuwon
11. Bill Russell
12. Julius Erving
13. Tim Duncan
14. Shaquille O'Neal
15. Moses Malone


:wtf:

:coleman:

plowking 10-15-2012 11:58 PM

Re: Rank ISH's top 15 NBA Players of All-Time in offense, defense, and rebounding
 
Thanks for the laugh lakerspng. Can you post your serious list now?

magnax1 10-16-2012 12:03 AM

Re: Rank ISH's top 15 NBA Players of All-Time in offense, defense, and rebounding
 
Going by peak
offense-
1-Jordan
2-Wilt
3-Kareem
4-Shaq
5-Bird
6-Magic
7-Kobe
8-Moses
9-Lebron
10-Oscar
11-Dr. J
12-West
13-Hakeem
14-Russell
15-Duncan

defense-
1-Russell
2-Wilt
3-Duncan
4-Hakeem
5-Jordan
6-Kareem
7-Lebron
8-Kobe
9-West
10-Shaq
11-Dr. J
12-Moses
13-Bird
14-Oscar
15-Magic

Rebounding
1-Wilt
2-Russell
3-Moses
4-Shaq
5-Duncan
6-Hakeem
7-Kareem
8-Bird
9-Jordan
10-Oscar
11-Magic
12-Dr. J
13-Lebron
14-Kobe
15-West

MiamiThrice 10-16-2012 12:26 AM

Re: Rank ISH's top 15 NBA Players of All-Time in offense, defense, and rebounding
 
I'm going to award points based on where they rank.(15 points for Rank 1, 14 points for Rank 2, 13 points for Rank 3,etc.) Should be interesting to see where everyone finishes.

Rebounding
1. Wilt Chamberlain
2.Bill Russell
3. Moses Malone
4. Tim Duncan
5.Hakeem Olajuwon
6. Shaq
7. Larry Bird
8. Kareem Abdul Jabbar
9.Dr. J
10.Oscar Robertson
11.LeBron James
12. Magic Johnson
13. Michael Jordan
14.Jerry West
15.Kobe Bryant

Defense
1. Bill Russell
2. Hakeem Olajuwon
3. Wilt Chamberlain
4.Michael Jordan
5. LeBron
6. Tim Duncan
7. Shaq
8. Kareem Abdul Jabbar
9. Jerry West
10. Kobe Bryant
11. Larry Bird
12. Oscar Robertson
13. Moses Malone
14. Dr. J
15. Magic Johnson

Scoring

1. Michael Jordan
2. Wilt Chamberlain
3.Shaq
4. LeBron James
5. Kareem Abdul Jabbar
6. Larry Bird
7. Moses Malone
8. Hakeem Olajuwon
9. Jerry West
10. Kobe Bryant
11. Tim Duncan
12. Dr.J
13. Oscar Robertson
14. Magic Johnson
15. Bill Russell

Final Point Tally
1. Wilt Chamberlain: 42
2. Hakeem: 33
3. Shaq: 32
T4. Michael Jordan: 30
T4. Bill Russell: 30
6. LeBron: 28
T7. Tim Duncan: 27
T7. Kareem: 27
9. Moses Malone: 25
10. Larry Bird: 24
11. Jerry West: 16
T12. Oscar: 13
T12. Dr. J: 13
T12. Kobe Bryant: 13
15. Magic Johnson: 6

Not a bad final list aside from Bird/Magic getting short changed big time because their playmaking and passing isn't being taken into consideration. The only obvious thing from this list is that West/DrJ/Oscar/Kobe is the bottom tier of the top 15.

KG215 10-16-2012 12:55 AM

Re: Rank ISH's top 15 NBA Players of All-Time in offense, defense, and rebounding
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lakerspng
I added in "playmaking" category. not a ton of time to put a lot of thought into my answers but... here goes *shrugs*

Defense
1. Michael Jordan
2. Bill Russell
3. Tim Duncan
4. Wilt Chamberlain
5. Larry Bird
6. Kareem Abdul Jabbar
7. Moses Malone
8. Kobe Bryant
9. Lebron James
10. Hakeem Olajuwon
11. Shaquille O'Neal
12. Magic Johnson
13. Oscar Robertson
14. Jerry West
15. Julius Erving


Out of all your lists this is probably the worst. Hakeem at #10? Are you f***ing kidding me? Hakeem behind Kobe, LeBron, Bird, Moses, and Jordan?

Oh, and Jordan #1? Jordan is arguably the GOAT perimeter defender but he never impacted a game defensively the way guys like Russell, Wilt, Hakeem, Kareem, Shaq, and Duncan did.

Larry Bird #5? Really?

jlip 10-16-2012 01:29 AM

Re: Rank ISH's top 15 NBA Players of All-Time in offense, defense, and rebounding
 
Offense
1. Magic Johnson
2. Oscar Robertson
3. Michael Jordan
4. Wilt Chamberlain
5. Lebron James
6. Jerry West
7. Larry Bird
8. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
9. Kobe Bryant
10. Shaquille Oneal
11. Moses Malone
12. Hakeem Olajuwon
13. Julius Erving (taking only NBA seasons into consideration)
14. Tim Duncan
15. Bill Russell

Defense
1. Bill Russell
2. Hakeem Olajuwon
3. Wilt Chamberlain
4. Tim Duncan
5. Kareem Abdul- Jabbar
6. Shaquille O'neal (His impact was greater than his effort or technique.)
7. Michael Jordan
8. Lebron James
9. Jerry West
10. Kobe Bryant
11. Moses Malone
12. Larry Bird
13. Julius Erving
14. Magic Johnson
15. Oscar Robertson (Honestly I don't know anything about Big O's defense. So this ranking is more a sign of my ignorance than anything else.)

Rebounding
1. Bill Russell
2. Wilt Chamberlain
3. Moses Malone
4. Kareem Abdul Jabbar
5. Tim Duncan
6. Shaquille O'neal
7. Hakeem Olajuwon
8. Larry Bird
9. Magic Johnson
10. Julius Erving
11. Lebron James
12. Michael Jordan
13. Oscar Robertson
14. Kobe Bryant
15. Jerry West

WillC 10-16-2012 02:35 AM

Re: Rank ISH's top 15 NBA Players of All-Time in offense, defense, and rebounding
 
People clearly have no idea how good Oscar Robertson was.

It is criminal to see people ranking Jordan ahead of Robertson for rebounding.

Meanwhile, although defense wasn't his strong point, he was a far better defender than Magic Johnson.

What I'm about to say has nothing to do with the fact he averaged a triple-double for his first five seasons, but Oscar Robertson is the greatest all-around basketball player ever. LeBron James and Michael Jordan are the only players who come close.

To see him so massively overlooked in these rankings is indefensible. Go do your homework.

G.O.A.T 10-16-2012 03:02 AM

Re: Rank ISH's top 15 NBA Players of All-Time in offense, defense, and rebounding
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by WillC
People clearly have no idea how good Oscar Robertson was.

It is criminal to see people ranking Jordan ahead of Robertson for rebounding.

Meanwhile, although defense wasn't his strong point, he was a far better defender than Magic Johnson.

What I'm about to say has nothing to do with the fact he averaged a triple-double for his first five seasons, but Oscar Robertson is the greatest all-around basketball player ever. LeBron James and Michael Jordan are the only players who come close.

To see him so massively overlooked in these rankings is indefensible. Go do your homework.


I don't even think he was a better all-around player than Jerry West. Not by the end at least. When both lost their athleticism, West was the more effective player.

That said, Robertson is unquestionably under-appreciated these days. Not underrated, I think he was formerly overrated, too often ahead of guys like Magic or Bird or Kareem or Russell. Still he was simply a sublime offensive player who not only could score at will, but understood how to get everyone else involved first and only score when it was needed or best for the team.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy