Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Overrated presidents and underrated presidents. (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278746)

longhornfan1234 10-16-2012 10:38 AM

Overrated presidents and underrated presidents.
 
Overrated: FDR and JFK.

RFK was the best Kennedy. Too bad he died before he got elected.



Underrated: Polk, Ford, and Nixon.


I want to read your lists.

MMM 10-16-2012 10:43 AM

Re: Overrated presidents and underrated presidents.
 
I like Nixon in that he could rehabilitate himself and was still valued as a statesman long after he left office in disgrace.

Sarcastic 10-16-2012 10:58 AM

Re: Overrated presidents and underrated presidents.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by longhornfan1234
Overrated: FDR and JFK.

RFK was the best Kennedy. Too bad he died before he got elected.



Underrated: Polk, Ford, and Nixon.


I want to read your lists.



If you are a fiscal conservative, then Nixon should never be on your list.

longhornfan1234 10-16-2012 10:58 AM

Re: Overrated presidents and underrated presidents.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM
I like Nixon in that he could rehabilitate himself and was still valued as a statesman long after he left office in disgrace.


I feel you. His first term was a foreign policy masterpiece. :bowdown: :bowdown:

longhornfan1234 10-16-2012 11:02 AM

Re: Overrated presidents and underrated presidents.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarcastic
If you are a fiscal conservative, then Nixon should never be on your list.





- instituted environmental legislation for the first time
- desegregated schools
- signed or supported pro-women laws (equality of pay, right to an abortion)
- opened discussions with russia and china
- while he did start the war on drugs, 2/3rds of it was supposed to go to rehabilitation, not incarceration
- space exploration
- reduced inflation
- supported economic regulation


^

This is why he's on my list.

Overdrive 10-16-2012 11:05 AM

Re: Overrated presidents and underrated presidents.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarcastic
If you are a fiscal conservative, then Nixon should never be on your list.


No republican should ever be on any fiscal conservative's list.

Sarcastic 10-16-2012 11:12 AM

Re: Overrated presidents and underrated presidents.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by longhornfan1234
- instituted environmental legislation for the first time
- desegregated schools
- signed or supported pro-women laws (equality of pay, right to an abortion)
- opened discussions with russia and china
- while he did start the war on drugs, 2/3rds of it was supposed to go to rehabilitation, not incarceration
- space exploration
- reduced inflation
- supported economic regulation


^

This is why he's on my list.



Right, but in another thread you stated that you sided with Republicans due to being a fiscal conservative. Nixon's policies are the main reason for the rampant inflation and high unemployment in the late 70s and early 80s. In order to get reelected, he ramped up government spending to keep inflation down. That's where the whole "We're all Keynesians now" line comes from.

MavsSuperFan 10-16-2012 01:36 PM

Re: Overrated presidents and underrated presidents.
 
Polk is extremely underrated

-Never sought the Presidency, supported Van Buren's nomination and only accepted nomination because he felt it would be unseemly to decline.
-Never sought reelection even thou his first term was so successful.
-Got everything he wanted done in one term, set goals (Independent Treasury,acquire Oregon Country, California, new mexico, lower tariffs), achieved them.
-Won overwhelming victory over Mexico and secured the American southwest
-Stood up to the British Empire, and claimed our rightful portion of the Oregon Country
-Major reason that America spans the whole continent from the Atlantic to the Pacific.
-Only president to also be Speaker of the House.
-Wanted to change the election of presidents to popular vote.

Shame most Americans don't even know who this great man was.

rufuspaul 10-16-2012 01:41 PM

Re: Overrated presidents and underrated presidents.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
Polk is extremely underrated

-Never sought the Presidency, supported Van Buren's nomination and only accepted nomination because he felt it would be unseemly to decline.
-Never sought reelection even thou his first term was so successful.
-Got everything he wanted done in one term, set goals (Independent Treasury,acquire Oregon Country, California, new mexico, lower tariffs), achieved them.
-Won overwhelming victory over Mexico and secured the American southwest
-Stood up to the British Empire, and claimed our rightful portion of the Oregon Country
-Major reason that America spans the whole continent from the Atlantic to the Pacific.
-Only president to also be Speaker of the House.
-Wanted to change the election of presidents to popular vote.

Shame most Americans don't even know who this great man was.



He was a Tarheel born, a Tarheel bred, and now he's a Tarheel dead.



Droid101 10-16-2012 02:18 PM

Re: Overrated presidents and underrated presidents.
 
Carter is underrated to this day.

senelcoolidge 10-16-2012 03:27 PM

Re: Overrated presidents and underrated presidents.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Droid101
Carter is underrated to this day.

Carter was horrible. One of the worst. He's like an Obama-lite.

What about Calvin Coolidge?

Droid101 10-16-2012 03:31 PM

Re: Overrated presidents and underrated presidents.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by senelcoolidge
Carter was horrible. One of the worst. He's like an Obama-lite.

What about Calvin Coolidge?

I wrote my college entry essay on Calvin Coolidge. Coolidge ruled.

SourPatchKids 10-16-2012 04:23 PM

Re: Overrated presidents and underrated presidents.
 
Enough with the presidental threads already.:rolleyes:

Timmy D for MVP 10-16-2012 06:01 PM

Re: Overrated presidents and underrated presidents.
 
I wonder if Clinton will end up underrated. If I ask the average person my age (or those who were to young to have lived/remember his administration) what they thought about Nixon all they really know about is Watergate. Sometimes the person themselves overshadow their administration.

I'm curious if the same will happen to Clinton. It won't be nearly as bad, and many already seem to have just shrugged their shoulders, but there's a tendency to just remember the big scandal stories.

Balla_Status 10-16-2012 06:02 PM

Re: Overrated presidents and underrated presidents.
 
Clinton is overrated. Dude cooked his own books to lie about having a surplus. In a way that would throw corporate accountants in jail.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy