Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Video Games Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   23 hr flight from NY to Seoul - need a game to download and play on my laptop (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278763)

gasolina 10-16-2012 03:45 PM

23 hr flight from NY to Seoul - need a game to download and play on my laptop

My daughter will have a monopoly on the Ipad so my only chance is from my laptop. I'm a big fan of old school RPG's. Bad news is I pretty much finished all square RPG's and adventure games in emulators (FF1-FF6, Chrono Trigger, Legend of Manas, Spacebound, Link to the Past, Tactics, Front Mission, even a translated Dragoon Warrior)

Any recommendations? Haven't ventured to emulators since the GBA. Are there nice games now I could download to kill time?

LJJ 10-16-2012 04:31 PM

Re: 23 hr flight from NY to Seoul - need a game to download and play on my laptop

Looks like you've been playing SNES games on emulators mostly?

The original Playstation is arguably as loaded with them as the SNES, and unless your laptop is ancient it will run PS just fine. So the next Final Fantasy's, Lunar SSS & Eternal Blue, Tales of Eternia, Chrono Cross, Suikoden, all that good shit.

IGotACoolStory 10-16-2012 05:32 PM

Re: 23 hr flight from NY to Seoul - need a game to download and play on my laptop

I'm not a computer gamer by any means. Don't think these fit what you are looking for either...

The only games I've played in the last few years have been:
--Altitude - Probably going to want to be online for this.. One of the best online games I've ever played. Stupidly addicting.
--Oregon Trail - Yeah, that one.
--Civ 5 - Terrifically developed, very replayable, and the games take a long while so this is good one for your situation.
--Minecraft - Another good for a long flight. I'm sure you probably played it by now.
--Armadillo Run - A physics game. Fun time killer, really.
--Virtual Villagers - Kind of a interactive puzzle deal. I found it challenging and real time helps develop in the game.

And I would recommend them all.

Have a nice flight.

SourPatchKids 10-16-2012 05:34 PM

Be sure to check out korean cinema while you're their!

gasolina 10-17-2012 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LJJ
Looks like you've been playing SNES games on emulators mostly?

The original Playstation is arguably as loaded with them as the SNES, and unless your laptop is ancient it will run PS just fine. So the next Final Fantasy's, Lunar SSS & Eternal Blue, Tales of Eternia, Chrono Cross, Suikoden, all that good shit.

Cool i was hoping ps1 games can now be emulated. Any recommendations what emulator to use and sites to download games?

:cheers: on snes emulators. I did play a lot of games on the gba emulators. Finished the castlevanias, advanced wars, fire emblems, mega man zeros, super robot wars, and the ff6 remake to name a few.

Might give chrono cross another try, and this time figure out what the hell s actually going on

niko 10-17-2012 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SourPatchKids
Be sure to check out korean cinema while you're their!

As opposed to on DVD where you can have subtitles?

Kungfro 10-17-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasolina
Cool i was hoping ps1 games can now be emulated. Any recommendations what emulator to use and sites to download games?

:cheers: on snes emulators. I did play a lot of games on the gba emulators. Finished the castlevanias, advanced wars, fire emblems, mega man zeros, super robot wars, and the ff6 remake to name a few.

Might give chrono cross another try, and this time figure out what the hell s actually going on

I'd go with PCSX-Reloaded.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Ai8LXxrAPMdndEVDTnNTMmE3akV5a0RnTkhSZEFzZ EE&gid=0

macmac 10-17-2012 05:08 PM

Did you ever play Earthbound on the SNES? They also have the translated sequel, Mother 3, on the GBA, both extremely excellent games

macmac 10-17-2012 05:10 PM

If you like turn based tactics, try FF tactics and Shining Force 2 on the Sega Genesis, one of my favourite games of all time.

As far as non emulator games go, Heroes of Might Magic 3 is incredible, XCOM just came out with a new game and so did the Worms franchise

gasolina 10-18-2012 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macmac
Did you ever play Earthbound on the SNES? They also have the translated sequel, Mother 3, on the GBA, both extremely excellent games

yes i played the original earthbound. Never got to play with Mother 3 on the GBA. I think I stopped with emulators before they had it translated.

How are the battle sequences? EB was good, but battles were just boring. I always wanted to see how you beat an alien with a baseball bat.

Quote:

As far as non emulator games go, Heroes of Might Magic 3 is incredible, XCOM just came out with a new game and so did the Worms franchise
I remember Heroes. I don't think I vaguely remember trying out abandonware. Not sure if it was Heroes 2 or 3. I'll look into it :cheers:

Maniak 10-19-2012 11:54 AM

when are you leaving and how long will you be there for?

DeuceWallaces 10-19-2012 01:40 PM

Crystallis was my favorite on the NES. You could also try some Dragon Warrior IV.

Joshumitsu 10-19-2012 02:09 PM

Xenogears, especially if you like Chrono Trigger/Cross music
Mass Effect if your laptop can support it.
Secret of Mana
Planescape