Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Small towns or Big cities? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278764)

Duderonomy 10-16-2012 03:48 PM

Small towns or Big cities?

Which do you prefer ? I've only lived in Florida and The Big Apple. I will say this NYC has something for everybody and many diverse cultures. I never really liked Florida. The weather and the weed was better tho. It's a nice place to live if you're retired or have a lot of money but not if you're young and want to establish yourself.

BuGzBuNNy 10-16-2012 04:08 PM

Re: Small towns or Big cities?

Grew up in Midland, TX (around 100,000 people). Now I'm going to school in Arlington which is a Dallas/Ft Worth mid city. The biggest difference to me is the people. Everyone where I'm from seemed down to earth and were for the most part, friendly. Here its really nothing like that. I guarantee if I were to conduct a survey to see how many people I got a smile in return from, the percentage would be much lower here. Being young I'd rather be in this area, but when I'm a bit older and ready to start a family I'd rather live in Midland, 10 fold.

sunsfan1357 10-16-2012 04:19 PM

My hometown of Manteca, CA (near Stockton) is something near 60-70K people (was less growing up) and I spent about 3-4 years in San Diego for school. I loved the big city, but I don't think SD is like a conventional big city like an LA type of place. I'd prefer to live in the bigger area, but generally favor people from my hometown more. Maybe its just because I grew up with them.

blablabla 10-16-2012 04:27 PM

Big cities, more options

Styles p 10-16-2012 05:09 PM

grew up in both when i was younger i loved the city but as i get older i like the peace and quiet of a small town, still love my hometown philly though i just like visiting it more than staying there now.

Legend of Josh 10-16-2012 05:10 PM

Small town equipped with big city culture.

TaLvsCuaL 10-16-2012 05:47 PM

Any city in the first world with more than 300,000 or 400,000 inhabitants have enough leisure facilities, cultural and sporting activities to meet the needs of its citizens.

1987_Lakers 10-16-2012 05:47 PM

Grew up in a town with 55-65k people. Love it here, I can be outside cruising the town for a couple of hours and always see somebody I know in the streets. But during the weekends if there are no parties around here I would much rather prefer going to SF which is a 45 min drive.

Rake2204 10-16-2012 06:04 PM

I think I definitely prefer small cities at the moment. My family moved away from Detroit when I was in elementary school and I spent a lot of years plotting my ultimate return to the area. However, as I grew older (into my 20's) I began to appreciate a more laid back culture. Now I have a friends and family in the metro Detroit area and I'm cool with visiting, but that's about it. Things are just a little too busy for me there. Traffic sucks, nature is limited, and everything seems amped up a notch.

All that said, I like having access to city life. Ann Arbor's just about perfect in that regard. My family lives on the outskirts of the city, amongst the nature and trees and whatnot but if we ever want to hit up the town, we're five miles away.

The one thing I wish small towns had more of is people my own age. That's the drawback there. Small towns usually have a lot of families and whatnot but not single folks in their 20's running about. I think that's also why I tend to like small towns that have a college of some sort in its area. Younger folks are more likely to stick around, even post-grad, in those spots.

RaininTwos 10-16-2012 06:45 PM

Suburbs in a big city ftw

qrich 10-16-2012 06:51 PM

Born and raised in the San Fernando Valley. Moved to Tucson (Big Town/Small City) and thinking of moving to Bisbee/Tombstone, real small towns.

StateOfMind12 10-16-2012 06:54 PM

Probably big cities, small towns are boring and while they are more polite/friendly, they also gossip/talk trash more since they know everything and everyone in the town and because they are bored.

Two-way street.

alenleomessi 10-16-2012 06:59 PM

the bigger the better
no homo

9512 10-17-2012 09:35 AM

More upside in a big city.

Small towns have little to no economical growth and people gossip more.

rufuspaul 10-17-2012 09:56 AM

I love visiting the big cities but I'm always glad to get home. I like Charlotte because it has a small town feel but is big enough to have major league sports, cultural amenities, big airport, etc.