Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Browns Look Smart For Not Drafting Blackmon (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279367)

RedBlackAttack 10-24-2012 06:29 PM

Browns Look Smart For Not Drafting Blackmon

I didn't write the title or the article. It is from an ESPN article posted today... interesting food for thought...

Quote:

Browns Look Smart For Not Drafting Blackmon
Josh Gordon outplaying Blackmon so far

Remember when there were fans who were upset that the Browns chose running back Trent Richardson over wide receiver Justin Blackmon in the first round of the 2012 draft. In fact, you might have been one of them.

The Browns instead drafted Josh Gordon, a raw but talented receiver, in the second round of the supplemental draft. It looks like that was the right decision so far.

Gordon has been the NFL's most explosive rookie receiver this season and has outplayed Blackmon through seven weeks. Gordon has 14 catches for 333 yards (23.8-yard average) and four touchdowns. Blackmon has 14 receptions for 126 yards (9.0-yard average) and no touchdowns.

Here are some of Gordon's accomplishments:

*Gordon is leading all NFL rookies in receiving touchdowns (4), receiving yards (333), receptions of 20 yards or longer (5) and ranks fourth in scoring (24) and is tied for fourth in receptions (14).

*He has an NFL rookie-best 333 receiving yards. He is on pace to set the Browns’ rookie receiving yards record (Kevin Johnson had 986 yards in 1999).

*After catching a 33-yard touchdown at Indianapolis on Sunday, he became the first Browns rookie to record three consecutive games with a touchdown reception of 30 yards or longer and first NFL rookie to accomplish that feat since Randy Moss did it in four straight games in 1998.

*With four touchdowns on the season, Gordon is the first Browns rookie to score four or more receiving touchdowns since Andre’ Davis recorded six in 2002.

Gordon has been far from perfect, even during his current hot streak. His drop near the goal line in the fourth quarter Sunday likely cost Cleveland the game. But the Browns were impressed with how he handled that mistake.

"I talked to him and he’s a full-grown man," coach Pat Shurmur said. "He understands what’s going on and he’s hard on himself. I think that tells me that [he’s] got a chance to improve and we’ve seen great improvement from him. I expect that he’ll get better next week.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...ar-this-season

I will fully admit that I thought giving up a second round pick for Gordon in the supplemental draft was excessive. I did want him, but I thought a third-rounder would do it. In retrospect, the Browns needed to make sure they landed this guy because he looks legit.

I said it last week and I'll say it again... There is no rookie receiver I would take over Gordon right now. Not Blackmon, Wright, Hill... None of them.

This guy looks like a potential Brandon Marshall kind of talent, with a similar build and athleticism.

And, just as an aside, how wasn't Baylor among the best teams in the country two years ago? RG3, Gordon, Wright, plus Phil Taylor on the defensive side. All of those guys have panned out so far in the NFL.

IcanzIIravor 10-24-2012 08:22 PM

Re: Browns Look Smart For Not Drafting Blackmon

In Blackmon's defense he doesn't have a quarterback on the roster down there. Your 40 year old quarterback is light years better than Blain the Mono-train and whoever else they have on their roster. Hell they would probably jump for joy if you guys dangled Colt in front of them.

AboveTheRim. 10-24-2012 08:47 PM

I completely agree. I took notice of Gordon after you wrote up that really long post in the Game Thread from 2 weeks ago, and he has really impressed me. Great speed, solid hands (dropped a big touchdown this weekend, but I heard that he claimed the sun was in his eyes?), and just an overall great talent. I would completely agree with the thread title thus far.

GOBB 10-24-2012 09:30 PM

Browns would've looked smarter drafting RGIII via trade up. But I wont go there.

Anyway he has been a nice surprise. Blaine Gabbert is bad. I trashed Weeden mostly because of his age but he has been solid for the most part. I believe if situations were reversed Blackmon would look much better. That said the dude is a big play threat. Nice talent pickup by Browns. Add more weapons on offense and you got something.

Pacers4ever 10-24-2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOBB
Browns would've looked smarter drafting RGIII via trade up. But I wont go there.

Anyway he has been a nice surprise. Blaine Gabbert is bad. I trashed Weeden mostly because of his age but he has been solid for the most part. I believe if situations were reversed Blackmon would look much better. That said the dude is a big play threat. Nice talent pickup by Browns. Add more weapons on offense and you got something.

Yeah I agree I'm not writing down Gordon is better than Blackmon because of both of their situations but I still don't think drafting A RB that early was a smart move for the browns and I heard he got benched last game for playing like shit. He also said his injury is more serious than people think which is another reason why I don't draft RBs that early because of their short career tendency but this is still very early for an injury bringing down his performance that much.

irondarts 10-24-2012 10:24 PM

Blackmons problem hasn't been Blaine Gabbert really, he just cannot get any separation at all against NFL DB's right now. He really needs to improve, his poor season is on him so far.

IlliniFan 10-25-2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irondarts
Blackmons problem hasn't been Blaine Gabbert really, he just cannot get any separation at all against NFL DB's right now. He really needs to improve, his poor season is on him so far.

How could you possibly know that?

christian1923 10-25-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IlliniFan
How could you possibly know that?

Film.. He needs to learn some nfl release moves. He is still relying on just talent.

FreezingTsmoove 10-25-2012 04:52 PM

Blaine Gabbert ****ing sucks. Most wont admit it but Weeden is an amazing QB with obvious rookie growing pains. I think Gabberts track record should tell you all you should know about him. Free BLACKMON

JMT 10-27-2012 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreezingTsmoove
Blaine Gabbert ****ing sucks. Most wont admit it but Weeden is an amazing QB with obvious rookie growing pains. I think Gabberts track record should tell you all you should know about him. Free BLACKMON

Being better than Gabbert doesn't make you "amazing".

What would be amazing would be finding an NFL starter worse than Gabbert.

FreezingTsmoove 10-27-2012 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT
Being better than Gabbert doesn't make you "amazing".

What would be amazing would be finding an NFL starter worse than Gabbert.

he's an amazing rookie

RedBlackAttack 10-27-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pacers4ever
Yeah I agree I'm not writing down Gordon is better than Blackmon because of both of their situations but I still don't think drafting A RB that early was a smart move for the browns and I heard he got benched last game for playing like shit. He also said his injury is more serious than people think which is another reason why I don't draft RBs that early because of their short career tendency but this is still very early for an injury bringing down his performance that much.

As many on this board can attest, I was also against drafting a running back with the 4th (ended up being the 3rd) overall pick in the draft. It was never anything to do with TRich. He was/is clearly a superb talent. I just didn't like drafting that particular position that high.

With that said, he was not benched for performance reasons last week. That is crazy. He is the best offensive weapon we have, along with Gordon on the outside. When he is playing, there is a noticeable impact on the entire offense.

He was taken out of the game because he was clearly injured and trying to fight through it. That was obvious to me -- a fan -- so I'm sure it was even more clear to the coaching staff.

Hardesty will never get the nod over a healthy TRich... And Hardesty has actually looked good himself this season. Still, the disparity in talent is obvious. TRich is on another level in just about all facets of the game.

Is He Ill 10-27-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreezingTsmoove
he's an amazing rookie

He has looked mediocre thus far, what the hell are you talking about?

RedBlackAttack 10-27-2012 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Is He Ill
He has looked mediocre thus far, what the hell are you talking about?

As someone who has watched every minute of every game, I can tell you that he has been a fair bit better than "mediocre" considering the circumstances and that he's a rookie... And I was/am very critical of that pick.

The guy has looked very good the last few weeks and hasn't really even had a bad stretch of plays outside of the first game of the season, which is rare for a rookie.

I think a lot of people made their minds up about Weeden after his atrocious performance in Game 1 and haven't paid much attention to him since.

He's had QB ratings of 114.9, 84.3, 92.7 and 96 in four of his last six games. He has 786 yards, six touchdowns, three interceptions and no fumbles with a 60+% completion percentage in his last three games.

For a rookie playing in the first seven games of his career with an incredibly young receiving corps?

Yeah, I'd say he's been very good.

bisk 10-28-2012 09:07 AM

Woa, calm down RBA. Like yourself, I've been extremely suspicious about investing a first rounder on Weeden aswell, but they are proving me wrong and I'm starting to think he can actually become a very productive QB for some years to come.

However, he has been getting a lot (and I mean A LOT) of time in the pocket to throw his deep balls. Right now, I am waaaay more impressed with our OL (in pass protection) at times than with Weeden. Still, he's right on the money with his long throws and he's starting to get some heat and zip on his throws overall. Loving it.

Also, the only problems I got with him right now, are that he checks down way too often, dumping it off to Trent, and whenever he's under pressure, he doesn't handle it very well which result in some very poor throws. But hey, he's a rookie, albeit an old one, I'll still give him somewhat of a pass in his first year despite people saying he was NFL ready.

Speaking of Trent, I'd be wary of any draft conclusions. I am so sick of watching him trying to run up the gut for 2 yard gains with this offense. The quicker Shurmur's gone, the quicker Trent can flourish in my opinion.