Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   College and High School Basketball Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   UConn basketball graduation rates are horrible (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279464)

insidehoops 10-26-2012 12:56 AM

UConn basketball graduation rates are horrible
 
Connecticut's basketball program -- already banned from the postseason for failing to meet other academic standards -- has a graduation success rate of just 11 percent, according to an NCAA report released Thursday.

The GSR, released Thursday, measures the percentage of student-athletes earning diplomas at a school over a six-year period. This year's numbers are for the classes that entered school from 2002 to 2005.

UConn's 11 percent rate was far below the national average of 68 percent for men's basketball.

Athletic Director Warde Manual, who took that job this year, said the school is committed to improving the program's performance.

-- Associated Press

kNicKz 10-26-2012 12:57 AM

Re: UConn basketball graduation rates are horrible
 
class?


SourPatchKids 10-26-2012 01:26 AM

Re: UConn basketball graduation rates are horrible
 
Too many guys with All or Nothing attitudes about playing pro ball.

Court Vision 10-26-2012 01:47 AM

Re: UConn basketball graduation rates are horrible
 
I can't wait to watch this program stumble without Calhoun.

Next up to take a tumble is Syracuse as soon as Boeheim leaves.

11%. They should be ashamed. That's basically one dude on the entire roster who leaves with a degree.

InspiredLebowski 10-26-2012 02:14 AM

Re: UConn basketball graduation rates are horrible
 
Real. Minor. League. Can't say it enough. F the NCAA.

Stop pretending that more than like 15% of these scholarship kids actually earn their degrees. And when they do it's "Organizational Leadership." Go look up the majors of your generic Big 6 conference team. Odds are at least half have the same major.

Court Vision 10-26-2012 12:22 PM

Re: UConn basketball graduation rates are horrible
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
Real. Minor. League. Can't say it enough. F the NCAA.

Stop pretending that more than like 15% of these scholarship kids actually earn their degrees. And when they do it's "Organizational Leadership." Go look up the majors of your generic Big 6 conference team. Odds are at least half have the same major.


You have to be an idiot to be handed a free education and not take advantage of it.

senelcoolidge 10-27-2012 05:42 AM

Re: UConn basketball graduation rates are horrible
 
The truth about Calhoun is coming out..that's why he left.

kNicKz 10-28-2012 01:13 AM

Re: UConn basketball graduation rates are horrible
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by senelcoolidge
The truth about Calhoun is coming out..that's why he left.


He was such a bad academic administrator...

the guy coached the basketball team, the graduation rate shit is on the school, calhoun's job wasn't to do these kids homework and wake them up for class, he coached them and brought them to championships

Court Vision 10-28-2012 01:50 AM

Re: UConn basketball graduation rates are horrible
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kNicKz
He was such a bad academic administrator...

the guy coached the basketball team, the graduation rate shit is on the school, calhoun's job wasn't to do these kids homework and wake them up for class, he coached them and brought them to championships


This isn't pro ball.

A college coach is responsible for a lot more than just 2 hours of practice and games.

It also speaks to the kinds of kids that they recruit.

Keep in mind that 11% leaves out guys who leave school in good academic standing. So this means that 8/9 guys are not doing a damn thing.

JellyBean 10-28-2012 01:35 PM

Re: UConn basketball graduation rates are horrible
 
Wow. Those numbers are terrible. Well at least the UConn rowing, field hockey, lacrosse, softball and women’s tennis programs all had perfect 100 GSR scores. Rowing was eight points above the national average, while field hockey was six points above, lacrosse three points above, softball 11 points above and women’s tennis seven points above. Also the women's basketball program had a 92% GSR score. But we gotta get our numbers up for men's basketball. Also this isn't Jim Calhoun's fault. Trust me, as a former student at UConn and proud alumni, coach Calhoun was constanty on his players about doing well in school,attending classes, and getting their college degree. The rest is on the student to do their part. But for the fellas, we gotta improve those numbers.


Let's go, Huskies!!!

senelcoolidge 10-28-2012 02:01 PM

Re: UConn basketball graduation rates are horrible
 
Just shows that Calhoun was just concerned with winning and didn't give a crap about these guys graduating. Sounds selfish. As a college coach you have to look after these kids..you want them to succeed, not pad your W-L's.

kNicKz 10-28-2012 05:02 PM

Re: UConn basketball graduation rates are horrible
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by senelcoolidge
Just shows that Calhoun was just concerned with winning and didn't give a crap about these guys graduating.


Why would he? Name me a team that has won in the last couple years that hasnt had kids leave after a year or two for the league. Kentucky's entire starting 5 was in the draft. Andre Drummond is like 18 years old, if there was no rule about HS straight to the league then he would have just gone to the NBA. The COLLEGE is at fault, not the coach. His job is to win titles and that is what he did with a SHIT program to start with. He built tradition out of nothing. Jim Calhoun made them great PLAYERS, he is not a professor so being blamed for shit in the classroom makes 0 sense when in fact he did always check up on the kids on his end

kNicKz 10-28-2012 05:05 PM

Re: UConn basketball graduation rates are horrible
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JellyBean
Also this isn't Jim Calhoun's fault. Trust me, as a former student at UConn and proud alumni, coach Calhoun was constanty on his players about doing well in school,attending classes, and getting their college degree. The rest is on the student to do their part. But for the fellas, we gotta improve those numbers.


People just talk out of their ass. Calhoun was like a father to a lot of those kids

ukfan22 10-29-2012 12:39 AM

Re: UConn basketball graduation rates are horrible
 
the rule should be like baseball, you can go out of HS, but if you go to college you gotta stay 2 years (it's 3 in baseball, but whatever)

kNicKz 10-29-2012 01:34 AM

Re: UConn basketball graduation rates are horrible
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ukfan22
the rule should be like baseball, you can go out of HS, but if you go to college you gotta stay 2 years (it's 3 in baseball, but whatever)


Its all about $$$ in the end, colleges still want the NBA talent and share arenas and shit with NBA teams so I'm sure the NCAA played a part in that rule


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy