Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Toronto Raptors Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   As a NBA fan nothing gets me more excited then opening night for the Toronto Raptors (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279935)

00playboy00 10-31-2012 12:32 PM

As a NBA fan nothing gets me more excited then opening night for the Toronto Raptors

Altough the team isn't the best i feel great about going to the game tonight. I've caught the last 4 opening nights and last year because of the lockout i got teary eyed when the season finally tipped off.

I'm just professing my love for the game nothing gets me more excited then the start of the NBA/Raptors season. Hopefully a playoff birth will happen this year.

Chamberlain 10-31-2012 01:03 PM

Re: As a NBA fan nothing gets me more excited then opening night for the Toronto Raptors

Regardless of the outcomes of the games, I feel this team will actually be worth watching. We have an exciting new point guard and a young stud we get to watch develop, and another mystery rookie in Terrance Ross.

Bcogswell 10-31-2012 02:01 PM

Re: As a NBA fan nothing gets me more excited then opening night for the Toronto Raptors

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chamberlain
Regardless of the outcomes of the games, I feel this team will actually be worth watching. We have an exciting new point guard and a young stud we get to watch develop, and another mystery rookie in Terrance Ross.

Exactly the way I feel. :cheers:

Zan Tabak 10-31-2012 09:43 PM

Still excited? Or did mean ole David West put an end to that...?:D

Chamberlain 10-31-2012 10:01 PM

:oldlol: Should have stuck someone else on West, man. He was on fire though.

I'm still pretty excited though. Lowry, Valanciunas and Calderon played great. Davis and Amir did their thing off the bench, and the rest were pretty meh.

I thought DeRozan played awful. I can't believe we signed him for that much money for 4 year years :confusedshrug:

Carrib 10-31-2012 10:23 PM

was a good game
overall the raps played well defense... i know they still have a lot of work to do, but it looks like the players are buying into the defensive system casey has them running.

with the offensive, i thought it was fine. DD and Bargs, missed a lot of shots they would normally make. And DD didnt get any calls from the officals...

but over all it was a good game for the raps. ( although they lost )

Bcogswell 10-31-2012 10:40 PM

Horrible play from the wings and terrible coaching by Casey. Clearly West was doing whatever he wanted with Bargs yet he just kept him out there when he was tired. He should have thrown Val at West and if he fouls out then deal with it accordingly.

Oh and DeRozan was starting to heat up in the third and then he sat him and let Anderson play forever. And the final play?? No screens? Just a simple throw to Bargs so he can stumble and throw up a prayer?

The referees by far were the worst part of the game.. even with the Raptors horrible play down the stretch they still would have won the game if it weren't for the refs. So many clear missed calls (West shoving Bargs to the floor, the tip off Greens hand, and all the non calls when players are getting hit driving to the net).

:rant

Chamberlain 10-31-2012 10:46 PM

I actually didn't find the refs to be that bad. West definitely lowered the shoulder on that play on Bargnani, but other than that I was okay with everything.

That Green/Calderon tip was way too close to call. I changed my mind four times while watching all the replays.

Himan12 10-31-2012 10:52 PM

Exciting game for sure just sucks that they choked the same way as past years. Valanciunas had an impressive debut for a rookie big (the hype is starting to validate). Lowry was a pittbull wasnt as energetic as Val (:P) but showed that he can be a leader. Derozan was a disaster tonight (refs played a part though). Bargs had jekyll hyde moments. All in all was an enjoyable hard fought game and thats what its all about if your team is going no where.

00playboy00 11-01-2012 08:42 AM

David West put an end to that excitment.:oldlol:

Jballer 11-01-2012 12:22 PM

Re: A season full of "Moral Victories"

FINAL
Air Canada Centre
(1-0)90 (0-1)88 Pacers Raptors
Pts West 25 Lowry 21
Reb George 15 Valanciunas 10
Ast Hill 7 Lowry 8

Looks to me like we will get a lot of these type of moral victories but that is still only 30, or 33, or 35, or 37 wins... and no playoffs

Parps 11-01-2012 06:31 PM

I thought Derozan was decent last night. I really liked his aggression in trying to get to the hoop and draw fouls. I don't think he has the respect of the refs yet..although he should soon.

Fields was the biggest disappointment for me. Just seemed like a non-factor out there. From the boxscore, he was a +6 though. :confusedshrug:

Himan12 11-01-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parps
I thought Derozan was decent last night. I really liked his aggression in trying to get to the hoop and draw fouls. I don't think he has the respect of the refs yet..although he should soon.

Fields was the biggest disappointment for me. Just seemed like a non-factor out there. From the boxscore, he was a +6 though. :confusedshrug:

Derozan's aggression was nice but did you see any moves where he split the D? Could he get by his man without Val or Bargs or any of the other bigs setting screens for him? On top of that he isnt a good defender or shooter and if he isnt getting to the free throw line, raptors basically have nothing going for them at the 2/3 spots as fields (surprise surprise) looks like an 11th man off the bench. I understand why calderon will be at that 2 spot for stretches, he brings way more to the table on offense.

Tbh I dont care about his outside shooting at this point in his career, I just want him to improve the ball handling which would allow him to utilize his athletic tools when hes going hard to the basket.

Chamberlain 11-01-2012 07:35 PM

DeRozan was 5/14 with 0 FTA and 5 rebounds.

No other significant stats.

:sleeping

b4ball 11-02-2012 09:39 AM

The game against the Pacers was euro like, lots of contact, no calls. What I liked most was how Val played in this game. He never backed down, accepted the contact and gave it to.
I think this game was an aberation to a normally refed game in the NBA. I don't think we'll see to many games with this much contact, at least until the playoffs.
The Raps lost, but as a first game I think it set the tone for what it takes to be successfull in the NBA. It really had a playoff atmosphere IMO. The contact, the non calls, the battles underneath the basket. I think it was a perfect game for the Raps.
Yes they lost, yes they, in this game, had nothing coming from the wing, yes DD tried and did not get calls and shrunk away. But what a lesson this game was. It was a perfect opening game. Andrea got to see just how tough it could be against an aggressive big that did push him around.
All in all I thought this game showed them just how hard it will be to get those wins. If they learned how much work it will take to play competitive teams, maybe just maybe they will learn how important it will be to win those games they should win in this weaker division.