Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   New York Knicks Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Why do we lose? Will this team ever be great. (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28004)

bigdaddybluesman 01-29-2007 04:24 PM

Why do we lose? Will this team ever be great.

I am getting very frustrated with the Knicks.

It's always 3 steps ahead 3 steps behind.

Crawford scores 52 points and we think we have the second coming of Bernard King......forget it.

So he can shoot, I have said that when he gets hot it's lights out.

But he makes bad decisions on the court and cannot, will not play defense. So he is a bench player who is used when you need instant offense. If Crawford can't deal with that fact, tough. Either step it up on the fundamentals or be a role player. If you don't like it, tough Jamal, deal with it and become a team player.

Now Curry, yes against lesser opponents he is a monster, but as soon as he runs into a team that knows how to play him, he is nullified. Why?....because he can't play defense and can't pass.

Marbury has made strides to become the complete player needed to win in the NBA so I don't have anything to say about him now.

Jefferies is well, what he is. A guy off the bench who can play defense and cause problems for the other team. He is not a starter and cannot score. Zeke should look at old Knick film and see how Red used Action (Phil) Jackson.

Q Rich is the leader and a great all around player. Isiah keep him at the 2 with a swing to the 3 depending on matchups and that's it!!!!!!!!

Jerome James is a waste, send him home with a cheese burger and call it a day. As long as he is on the roster and in the club house this team will be a loser.

Cato should be getting more minutes and be the backup center depending on the rotation and team you are playing.

Frye is being wasted, he has a sweet jump shot and Curry doesn't kick it out to him at all. They should have an excellent 2 man game inside and outside but do not play well together which brings us to....

Lee, he is a double double waiting to happen. He can play the 3 and guard most of the 3's with a little help. That's the thing, this team gives no defensive help. If he can't cover a three and is having problems we have Jefferies and Q to swing. Lee also works better with Curry than Frye does because he makes things happen. This is why Curry, Frye and Lee should start and learn to work together as a unit playing as many minutes together until they foul out. Learn to help defend and pass to each other as a TEAM!!!!

Zeke pulls guys too soon, let them foul out. They need time on the court and he should just let them learn and play. He's doing a Larry Brown!!!!!

That's our big THREE, Curry, Frye, Lee. Let them play Together for about 35 minutes a game or until they foul out.

Isiah's rotation sucks!!!!!!

He is proving to be a poor coach and I am very disappointed with his choices of who starts and who comes off the bench. He misused Jefferies and expected too much from him. Now he is totally useless and has lost his confidence thanks to Zeke, dumb.

So as it stands this team will lose game after game until a real coach comes in here and defines roles and plays the players who deserve to play not contracts.

j Fresh 01-29-2007 05:20 PM

Re: Why do we lose? Will this team ever be great.

Who, in your eyes, would be the best coach for this job other than Isiah Thomas?

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork 01-29-2007 05:46 PM

the problem is willingness and ability to take pride in defense night in night out. how could you let Mo Williams whore you for 30 points and 10 assists?

j Fresh 01-29-2007 06:06 PM

Quote:

the problem is willingness and ability to take pride in defense night in night out.

This is what seperates the boys from the men. I don't think you can teach heart and the will to play defense, look at Alonzo Mourning. He has desire, he may not be quick enough anymore but he loves defense, he loves blocking small guys and tall players!

Eddy Curry on other hand plays defense because he HAS to, it's like at a point where he almost cries because defense for him is too hard. As much as the Knicks organization is trying to imply defense for him, it's too hard.

Stephon Marbury is finally understanding what he needs to be a true point guard. FINALLY!!!!!!!

jt24 01-29-2007 06:08 PM

its going to be a long time before this team every gets back to the glory days, a few things have to happen isiah has to go and we have to hire a real bball guy who knows what hes doing, dolan has to get a clue and we have to unload salaries and start to get under the cap, and we have to somehow luck into getting a franchise player. otherwise were looking at a team whos ceiling is 35-40 wins.

knickscity 01-29-2007 06:38 PM

1) We don't have a single go-to guy on our team.
2) We don't have competitors on our team.
3) Our team doesn't commit to defense because we have a college style offense.

Zeke knows that signing Jeffries was a mistake. That's why he hit the bench so soon. I also believe and you book this, Zeke is boosting Frye's value. I think he's gone at the deadline. You don't need him with Lee getting double -double off the bench. And NO, LEE SHOULD NOT START. Those 30+ minutes off the bench are VERY effective. Crawford can't shoot period. Being hot one day out of 10 doesn't change that. Crawford should be on the bench whether we like it or not. It makes no sense that a guy that shoots 40% from the field and 30% from 3 should start. Nate has ZERO basketball understanding and have been put in the D-League last year. I think Zeke may have something up his sleeve. Even though Bankroll Dolan has said no spending it did come with an aseterisk.......UNLESS IT IMPROVES OUR TEAM.

WE LOSE BECAUSE THE PLAYERS DON'T FIT WELL TOGETHER.
THIS TEAM WILL NOT BE GREAT AS CONSTRUCTED.
Zeke knows that this team at best is average.
Being .500 is the max he could ask for.

evodeadd 01-29-2007 07:01 PM

Let's look at this team like it's the first year they are together cuz last year just didn't count.

And from that perspective, I'm pretty satifisfied. We don't have a winning record, but the team is helluva lot more exciting to watch than the team we had before Frye, Lee, Curry and Q Rich.

what was that starting 5? yea..it was so bad I can't remember em.
PG Marbury
SG Crawford
PF/C Thomas
SF ?
C ?

Bench?

shafir 01-29-2007 07:26 PM

I think the power forward was Kurt Thomas and the center was Nazr Mohammed.

Amigo 01-29-2007 07:36 PM

The coach of this team is the reason why we lose frequently and by blowouts or humilliations. Which in eyes of some could be the same. Last night was the Coach's fault. The subbing in that game was horrible. I would never let Jerome James play a minute against Skinner or Bogut. The man is a giant clown. Playing contracts is not the way to win a game. I don't care for the JJ's or Nate Robinson. They don't provide anything to this time. I'd tighten up this rotation. Buyout Francis over the offseason and pick up a decent backup either at the PG or the Center positions. Hoping that Malik Rose retires, of course.

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork 01-29-2007 08:33 PM

man do you remember that pre-Marbury disaster you had?

i think it was

Charlie Ward/Howard Eisley
Allan Houston/ ?
Tim Thomas/?
?
Kurt Thomas

j Fresh 01-29-2007 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork

i think it was

Allan Houston/ ?
Tim Thomas/?
?
Kurt Thomas

Imagine if we just let their contracts run out? We would probably be like the Boston Celtics, but that's better because we'd have a young team that'd be rebuilding. But Dolan wants to win now.........

knickscity 01-29-2007 10:07 PM

I thought we have a young team. every position is under 26 except pg. I believe we have the 4th or 5th youngest team in the league.

1) Bobcats
2)Boston
3)Philly
4)Between the Raps and Us. But ithink it's us.

jt24 01-30-2007 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork

i think it was

Allan Houston/ ?
Tim Thomas/?
?
Kurt Thomas

the funny thing is those teams won more then isiahs teams have

oldknickfan 01-30-2007 05:58 PM

At this point, the Knicks are very inconsistent.

They do not have the defensive mindset that made successful Knick teams champions and contenders. Consistent D wins games.

Their offence is very unreliable and unpredictable. And it lacks a consistent go-to player capable of frequently winning games when they are on the line.

Crawford is too streaky. Q who started as their most consistent player has not played well recently in quite a while. Marbury and Curry are still playing injured. But, neither have demonstrated the ability to carry the team to frequent victories during crunch times. Frye is not a factor when the game is on the line.

Lee is their best player off the bench; but he should start. The Knicks bench, once their strongest asset - recently has not been giving the starters a lift, with the exceptions of Lee and occasionally Balkman.

The Knicks 60-million-dollar-men have yet to prove that they are even worth pennies on the dollar: Back up center Jerome James is a $30M dud and Jarid jeffries could easily change his name to "Horrid" Jefferies to describe the way he has been playing for his $30M.

Yes the Knicks often do show heart; but unfortunately it is often after committing suicide early in the game that they make a push and are ultimately unable to rise from the dead.

Yes they are not too bad for a young, inexperienced team; but with by far they highest payroll in the NBA and highly experienced veteran players -- they are not a "young, inexperienced team! You could fund four or five expansion teams with the Knicks annual payroll.

You might as well as say they are not to bad for a heartless, overpaid bunch of losers -- but I don't know that that is a fair assessment either.

Looking at this objectively, there are good parts and improvement over last year -- especially in Curry, Marbury and Lee. There are solid players in Q, Crawford, Frye, Robbinson. And there are veteran players with more potential than they are demonstrating in Francis, Jerome James and Jarid jeffries. But there is something wrong with the recipe since it does not blend together well.

Some deft trades need to be made. But I doubt that the Knick's management have a clue.

j Fresh 01-30-2007 06:17 PM

if they just keep this rotation, we can get used to playing with each other. Stop playing everybody else just because of what they are getting paid. The worse thing to do is play them because they are garbage. Just keep this lineup right here...

Eddy Curry
David Lee
Channing Frye
Q Rich
Stephon Marbury
Jamal Crawford
Nate Robinson