Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Lakers Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Gasol off the bench? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280435)

Asiantastic 11-04-2012 05:09 AM

Gasol off the bench?
 
Was reading some threads over at LG and a lot of people have suggested that Gasol should come off the bench.

I feel that this is actually the best idea so far. Clearly, our bench has been our main problem (aside from Mike Brown's awful rotations). No one on the bench can properly create on their own. Gasol can still play damn well. He still has a variety of moves that can get him to the bucket and that would in some way ease the lack of scoring off the bench.

In return, we can get Jamison into the starting PF slot. I don't believe that Jamison could fall off so hard in 1 year, he just needs more minutes and to play with better players. Just last year he averaged 17 PPG with the Cavs' starting unit. He'll mainly be stretching the floor and hopefully getting lots of open 3's. Enough offense runs through Nash/Kobe/Howard. It's not necessary to get Gasol in there at all times. He'll play starter minutes, except he'll come off with the bench to give them a spark.

The '09-'10 Lakers could have put Odom at SF, but clearly PJ liked him better as a spark off the bench. Same with Crawford on the Clipps, he could clearly be starting over Willie Green, but he's providing the bench with energy and points.

Too many offensive powers on the floor at one time means that production will drop for some players. We really just need more role players to compliment Nash/Kobe/Howard and Jamison fits the bill perfectly.

tl;dr: Gasol on the bench, Jamison starts.

What say you?

brownmamba00 11-04-2012 08:15 AM

Re: Gasol off the bench?
 
I like it, let Pau and Nash run with the bench

Nash
Meeks
Ebanks
Hill
Pau

should do some damage. But MB doesn't have a clue how to use his players

DKLaker 11-04-2012 11:29 AM

Re: Gasol off the bench?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by brownmamba00
I like it, let Pau and Nash run with the bench

Nash
Meeks
Ebanks
Hill
Pau

should do some damage. But MB doesn't have a clue how to use his players


Yes, Pau has played better with the bench guys in.......and yes, Mike Brown doesn't have the slightest clue how to use his players.......but what do you expect from a video coordinator? Real Coaching :no: :no: :no: Terrible Hire!!!

lakerfreak 11-05-2012 02:42 PM

Re: Gasol off the bench?
 
This idea is preposterous.

Pau is a starter, and his skills help guys like Dwight and Kobe get their easy opportunities.

What Mike Brown has done was he started Pau, and then kept Pau in with the second unit. When Pau plays with the second unit, he is the center, which means he can finally post up. Something Mike Brown didn't let him do last season.

I know Mike Brown isn't the best. He's not even an average coach, but jeez people stop acting like he's the grim reaper lol.

DKLaker 11-05-2012 04:42 PM

Re: Gasol off the bench?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lakerfreak
This idea is preposterous.

Pau is a starter, and his skills help guys like Dwight and Kobe get their easy opportunities.

What Mike Brown has done was he started Pau, and then kept Pau in with the second unit. When Pau plays with the second unit, he is the center, which means he can finally post up. Something Mike Brown didn't let him do last season.

I know Mike Brown isn't the best. He's not even an average coach, but jeez people stop acting like he's the grim reaper lol.


Your last statement is "Lame" to put it mildly. We have a championship caliber team with a below average coach.......a Coach who would be the #1 reason we don't win the championship. In basketball terms...he IS the grim reaper.......he will cause death to our season.
Amazing that you FINALLY admit he's below average.....lol.

lakerfreak 11-05-2012 05:26 PM

Re: Gasol off the bench?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DKLaker
Your last statement is "Lame" to put it mildly. We have a championship caliber team with a below average coach.......a Coach who would be the #1 reason we don't win the championship. In basketball terms...he IS the grim reaper.......he will cause death to our season.
Amazing that you FINALLY admit he's below average.....lol.


His "below averageness" is no excuse for our losing. Mike Brown's thing is defense, but THEY had not been playing it until the detroit matchup.

DKLaker 11-05-2012 06:43 PM

Re: Gasol off the bench?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lakerfreak
His "below averageness" is no excuse for our losing. Mike Brown's thing is defense, but THEY had not been playing it until the detroit matchup.


It's easy to play defense against a really bad team......YOU go out and play against a 10 year old.....I'll bet your defense will be stellar :oldlol:

lakerfreak 11-05-2012 07:20 PM

Re: Gasol off the bench?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DKLaker
It's easy to play defense against a really bad team......YOU go out and play against a 10 year old.....I'll bet your defense will be stellar :oldlol:


Yes its easy....but there was hustle. Its not like the lakers just stood still with their arms up and prayed detroit would miss. They were moving their feet, they were hustling for loose balls.

If they played defense the way they did against the pistons, in the previous three games, they'd probably be 3-1 right now. Not 1-3.

Mgamer20o0 11-05-2012 07:41 PM

Re: Gasol off the bench?
 
you dont need to move him to the bunch. just get the subs right where he is playing with the 2nd unit. pull him 1st then once the others get a break put him back in.

dd24 11-05-2012 08:02 PM

Re: Gasol off the bench?
 
Pau is still one of the game's best PF's. It's a horrible idea to bring him off the bench. Like Lakerfreak said, he already plays C with the 2nd unit. That is the best use for him.

DKLaker 11-06-2012 02:47 AM

Re: Gasol off the bench?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lakerfreak
Yes its easy....but there was hustle. Its not like the lakers just stood still with their arms up and prayed detroit would miss. They were moving their feet, they were hustling for loose balls.

If they played defense the way they did against the pistons, in the previous three games, they'd probably be 3-1 right now. Not 1-3.


Sure.....they were doing the right things but.......surely you understand the difference between covering good experienced players with a good coach/ good system compared to playing a young inexperienced bad team with a ? coach........hmmmm maybe you don't.
It reminds me of a big tournament I won with a new assistant coach. We were scouting our next opponent, they had extremely high energy non stop for the entire game, they trapped the other team without mercy and blew them out by over 40 points. My assistant was scared and actually asked how we were going to be able to beat them......I laughed and said we'd beat them by at least 40, he thought I was completely nuts........we were up 55-19 at the half and won by over 40. I gave my team a few simple instructions on how to use their aggressiveness against them and the rest was just us doing our thing. Never overrate what happens against a bad team.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy