Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Streetball Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Preperation for much better compition (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280953)

01amberfirewv 11-09-2012 02:14 PM

Preperation for much better compition

I've been asked to play in a charity game with some locals who are much more experienced than me. My experience is basically playing pickup games on Saturdays with decent competition. This game is going to include D1, D1a and D league players. Skill wise I can do some ball handling drills and I do pretty well playing against the players I play with but they are mostly high school players. What can I expect? Anything I should do to prepare for the game so I don't get embarrassed to much?

Burgz V2 11-09-2012 03:11 PM

Re: Preperation for much better compition

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01amberfirewv
I've been asked to play in a charity game with some locals who are much more experienced than me. My experience is basically playing pickup games on Saturdays with decent competition. This game is going to include D1, D1a and D league players. Skill wise I can do some ball handling drills and I do pretty well playing against the players I play with but they are mostly high school players. What can I expect? Anything I should do to prepare for the game so I don't get embarrassed to much?

expect to be played physically when you have the ball. you won't get the same calls as you would in HS, refs allow a lot more body contact on the ball in D1. Use your body and don't be afraid to bump a guy off you if you're getting pressured. That was the biggest thing I had to deal with playing with D1 guys when i was in HS.

also, don't let them speed you up. play under control. If its an organized game, they will trap, pressure, hack, basically do whatever they can to get you out of your comfort zone (as good defenders are supposed to do). Don't forget to use shot fakes and pass fakes to create space for yourself. You might not rely on these too much in HS because of your comfort level, but against bigger stronger guys every extra inch counts, trust me.

and have fun, I always loved playing against older, proven players. Great opportunity, take it right at them!

C_lake2802 11-10-2012 01:11 PM

When i play against better people, and i know there better. I've found comfort in just reminding myself that they have to react to me. No matter how big ans strong they are they have no idea what I'm about to do. And second of all just don't think too much. I like to stay in that grey area in my mind where I'm aware of what is going on but I'm not second thinking anything.

Also i can't stress this enough, CONDITION HARD drink plenty of water through the week. Don't know where your endurance level is but i know there probably going to be playing faster than what your use to if you just been playing Saturday hoops, and your going to get winded real quick,

Along with that just sharpen up mentally. Remind yourself what your good at, what you bring to a team. Learn how to tune people out when there talking trash or selfish teammates are calling for the ball. Learn how to control the pace of your game. I think that would be beneficial along with some skill work / conditioning. throughout the week

JMT 11-10-2012 02:58 PM

Focus on your strengths. That scenario is no time to try to do things at which you're not strong and confident.

As stated earlier, be prepared for the game to be much more physical than you're accustomed to. Don't let the physical play take your head out of the game.

Move without the ball. In a charity game guys tend to be loose and lazy defensively. Be the guy who presents a good, open target.

Show no fear. Get caught looking "wide eyed" and you're doomed.

Have fun. It sounds like a great opportunity for you to see where you stand as a player.

01amberfirewv 11-10-2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT
Focus on your strengths. That scenario is no time to try to do things at which you're not strong and confident.

As stated earlier, be prepared for the game to be much more physical than you're accustomed to. Don't let the physical play take your head out of the game.

Move without the ball. In a charity game guys tend to be loose and lazy defensively. Be the guy who presents a good, open target.

Show no fear. Get caught looking "wide eyed" and you're doomed.

Have fun. It sounds like a great opportunity for you to see where you stand as a player.

Yeah I'm looking forward to it but it will be a little intimidating playing in front of a crowd with much better players. My biggest problem is that I seem to either have a bad day or a good day and I hope this day turns out to be a good one. Last Saturday I felt like I could get the ball anywhere I wanted to on the court and felt very confident. My team won every game we played. This week I turned the ball over several times each game and missed most of my shots. I also need to play more physical but I tend to get more physical once I start getting banged around. I give up size but I would bet I'll be the one of the strongest players on the court. One of the players played college basketball then went to the NFL and I would guess he is stronger but I spent years power lifting and can handle a good bit of weight for my 180lb frame