Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Black Christian here, ask me anything (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280987)

BuGzBuNNy 11-09-2012 04:16 PM

Black Christian here, ask me anything
 
Preferably not too too biblical since I'm not the most knowledgable person to ask about things pertained inside the good book and I'd hate to give someone inaccurate information.

DonDadda59 11-09-2012 04:19 PM

Re: Black Christian here, ask me anything
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BuGzBuNNy
Preferably not too too biblical since I'm not the most knowledgable person to ask about things pertained inside the good book and I'd hate to give someone inaccurate information.


So what makes you 'Christian' if you don't know shit about the bible? Isn't knowing/believing the content within the good book the basis of being Christian? I mean it's not hereditary like race, nationality, etc.

Also, what is the name of the dog in your avatar? :D

BuGzBuNNy 11-09-2012 04:25 PM

Re: Black Christian here, ask me anything
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DonDadda59
So what makes you 'Christian' if you don't know shit about the bible? Isn't knowing/believing the content within the good book the basis of being Christian? I mean it's not hereditary like race, nationality, etc.

I know quite a bit about it and you can ask me anything and if I'm not 100% certain, I'll tell you. It's not permanent but I definitely inherited my faith. Mom and pops are both believers, so am I.

Quote:

Also, what is the name of the dog in your avatar? :D
I call her Debra

SourPatchKids 11-09-2012 04:27 PM

Re: Black Christian here, ask me anything
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BuGzBuNNy
I call her Debra


Faptastrophe 11-09-2012 04:29 PM

Re: Black Christian here, ask me anything
 
Are you aware of how ironic your religious belief is? It's funny how black christians could could reference a bible verse to condone homophobia yet they forget that the white men did the same thing to justify enslaving their people. Does anyone remind you that the faith that you're preaching was the same faith that subjugated your people. Did anyone note the reasons there are so many black Christians out there is not because of divine truth but because slave-masters converted your ancestors?
If you're a black Christian, you have a real short memory - Chris Rock

Ok, nice meeting you. I'll better leave as fast as I can. k, thx, bye.


BuGzBuNNy 11-09-2012 04:34 PM

Re: Black Christian here, ask me anything
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faptastrophe
It's funny how black christians could could reference a bible verse to condone homophobia yet they forget that the white men did the same thing to justify enslaving their people.

I know they referenced the book to justify slavery but tell me exactly what they saw in the book that they thought justified it. If you will..I'm uncertain.

In other words, what does the bible say that made them think slavery was okay?

The Macho Man 11-09-2012 04:38 PM

Re: Black Christian here, ask me anything
 
Who's your favorite wrestler?

BuGzBuNNy 11-09-2012 04:39 PM

Re: Black Christian here, ask me anything
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Macho Man
Who's your favorite wrestler?

When I used to watch WCW it was stone cold or I think the undertaker? I also remember Kane. :pimp:

The Macho Man 11-09-2012 04:41 PM

Re: Black Christian here, ask me anything
 
:durantunimpressed:

BuGzBuNNy 11-09-2012 04:42 PM

Re: Black Christian here, ask me anything
 
u mad?

DonDadda59 11-09-2012 04:48 PM

Re: Black Christian here, ask me anything
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BuGzBuNNy
I know they referenced the book to justify slavery but tell me exactly what they saw in the book that they thought justified it. If you will..I'm uncertain.

In other words, what does the bible say that made them think slavery was okay?


Just some examples, sure there's more, too lazy to look:

Genesis 9:25-27: "Cursed be Canaan! The lowest of slaves will he be to his brothers. He also said, 'Blessed be the Lord, the God of Shem! May Canaan be the slave of Shem. May God extend the territory of Japheth; may Japeth live in the tents of Shem and may Canaan be his slave'.

Some Christians and Muslims believed the descendants of Canaan were Africans, so naturally they used the above text to justify the institution of slavery.

"slaves, obey your earthly masters with fear and trembling" (Ephesians 6:5)

"tell slaves to be submissive to their masters and to give satisfaction in every respect" (Titus 2:9)

The Macho Man 11-09-2012 04:48 PM

Re: Black Christian here, ask me anything
 
I am

BuGzBuNNy 11-09-2012 04:52 PM

Re: Black Christian here, ask me anything
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Exodus 21:16
Whoever steals a man and sells him, and anyone found in possession of him, shall be put to death

But then again you have...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Exodus 21:20-21
When a man strikes his slave, male or female, with a rod and the slave dies under his hand, he shall be avenged. But if the slave survives a day or two, he is not to be avenged, for the slave is his money.

I'd have to read for context, without it one can make anything of a quote.

DonDadda59 11-09-2012 04:58 PM

Re: Black Christian here, ask me anything
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BuGzBuNNy
But then again you have...

I'd have to read for context, without it one can make anything of a quote.


The context being, don't steal slaves and try to profit from selling them, but owning them and beating them to death under the right circumstances is completely legit.

BuGzBuNNy 11-09-2012 04:59 PM

Re: Black Christian here, ask me anything
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DonDadda59
Just some examples, sure there's more, too lazy to look:

Genesis 9:25-27: "Cursed be Canaan! The lowest of slaves will he be to his brothers. He also said, 'Blessed be the Lord, the God of Shem! May Canaan be the slave of Shem. May God extend the territory of Japheth; may Japeth live in the tents of Shem and may Canaan be his slave'.

Some Christians and Muslims believed the descendants of Canaan were Africans, so naturally they used the above text to justify the institution of slavery.

"slaves, obey your earthly masters with fear and trembling" (Ephesians 6:5)

"tell slaves to be submissive to their masters and to give satisfaction in every respect" (Titus 2:9)

Thanks for the quotes. I'll put on my to do list to read all the quotes regarding slavery for context. I'm reading different takes on it on various sites. I can recall my old pastor speaking on it but I don't remember his stance.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy