Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   GOAT Full Court and Half Court players? Players who excelled in both styles of play? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=282170)

fpliii 11-22-2012 03:49 AM

GOAT Full Court and Half Court players? Players who excelled in both styles of play?

What do your lists look like?

Money 23 11-22-2012 03:56 AM

Re: GOAT Full Court and Half Court players? Players who excelled in both styles of play?

MJ, case closed.

fpliii 11-22-2012 03:57 AM

Re: GOAT Full Court and Half Court players? Players who excelled in both styles of play?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Money 23
MJ, case closed.

lol

well, who are your #2 guys?

andgar923 11-22-2012 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fpliii
lol

well, who are your #2 guys?

Magic?:confusedshrug:

I like somebody like Worthy and Barkley as well.

Toizumi 11-22-2012 04:48 AM

In the full/open court, my top 3 is:
1. Magic
Nobody rivals him in terms of passing on the fast break, with his crazy no looks. He was both fast and quick, great court vision and an awesome finisher as well. It helped that he had some great guys running with him.
2. LeBron
Second to only Magic in my opinion. He is crazy fast on the break and steamrolls through anything. Impossible to stop when he's going full speed to the basket. He has great court vision as well.
3. Pippen
Very creative finisher, who could change speed and direction easily. Great finisher and passer and with his length and athleticism, he was scary. It was either Pip or MJ at 3 for me.

Half court is tough to rank, it depends on whether you go with bigs or guards..
You have players like MJ, Kobe, Bird who were able to destroy a defense from both inside as well as from the perimiter, with their passing, ball handling and shooting and players like TD, Shaq, Kareem, Wilt who were destructive in the post. Russell deserves mention because the whole offense seemed to run through him from the post/high block. Great passing, team play and also scoring from tim to time.

MJ was the best when it came to both full and half court/overall game in my opinion. He could ruin a defense in half court and run the floor as well as anybody.

KOBE143 11-22-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Money 23
MJ, case closed.

Case opened, Kobe.

Vertical-24 11-22-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toizumi
In the full/open court, my top 3 is:
1. Magic
Nobody rivals him in terms of passing on the fast break, with his crazy no looks. He was both fast and quick, great court vision and an awesome finisher as well. It helped that he had some great guys running with him.
2. LeBron
Second to only Magic in my opinion. He is crazy fast on the break and steamrolls through anything. Impossible to stop when he's going full speed to the basket. He has great court vision as well.
3. Pippen
Very creative finisher, who could change speed and direction easily. Great finisher and passer and with his length and athleticism, he was scary. It was either Pip or MJ at 3 for me.

Half court is tough to rank, it depends on whether you go with bigs or guards..
You have players like MJ, Kobe, Bird who were able to destroy a defense from both inside as well as from the perimiter, with their passing, ball handling and shooting and players like TD, Shaq, Kareem, Wilt who were destructive in the post. Russell deserves mention because the whole offense seemed to run through him from the post/high block. Great passing, team play and also scoring from tim to time.

MJ was the best when it came to both full and half court/overall game in my opinion. He could ruin a defense in half court and run the floor as well as anybody.

Your full-court list would be identical to mine man. Great picks :cheers:

La Frescobaldi 11-22-2012 12:05 PM

As far as ability to play elite level transition, full court press, or whatever?
John Havlicek, David Thompson, Walt Frazier, Logo would be some earlier guys

I saw the Celtics run non-stop in the Garden for half a quarter and I mean non-stop. That is the most amazing team effort I have ever seen and it was led not by Russell but by Sam Jones

pauk 11-22-2012 12:12 PM

Full Court: Lebron/Magic
Half Court: Jordan/Bird

MichaelCheazley 11-22-2012 12:39 PM

I think jason kidd deserves a mention not GOAT tho.

Odinn 11-22-2012 01:38 PM

It's like "which naturally gifted perimeter player has/had the best fundamentals".

Toizumi 11-22-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vertical-24
Your full-court list would be identical to mine man. Great picks :cheers:

:cheers:

andgar923 11-22-2012 02:57 PM

Bron and no Chuck? or even Malone?

Bron's post game is just starting to develop, he has no mid range game either. He's explosive when he gets a step and gets rolling but that's about it.

Both Chuck and Malone can post, hit the mid, explode if given space, and can do some damage on the break.

Same thing can be said about Worthy over Bron.

Rekindled 11-22-2012 03:06 PM

larry bird was one of the best outlet passer on fast breaks ever, his half court ability needs no explaination.

pauk 11-23-2012 04:14 PM

Lebron full court: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAj0HtXvlzk