Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Toronto Raptors Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Valanciunas still adjusting to NBA (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=282234)

insidehoops 11-23-2012 01:02 AM

Valanciunas still adjusting to NBA

Valanciunas said last week that he still had not adjusted to the rhythm of the NBA game, but said on Wednesday night that he's feeling better -- but still isn't content.

"I feel more comfortable now, but we're still losing, I need something more to help the team to win," Valanciunas said matter-of-factly and you have to respect that attitude from a rookie.

"Not saying that I'm going to lead the team to victory, but I need some more, I need some more."

Valanciunas said he has been working on his jump shot in practice, because if it becomes an effective weapon he will create opportunities for teammates because opponents won't be leaving him alone and doubling elsewhere.

After a bit of a lull, Valanciunas has picked up his game in a major way and already has become one of the more important players on the team.

-- Toronto Sun

bokes15 11-23-2012 01:30 AM

Re: Valanciunas still adjusting to NBA

I actually think his offensive game has been solid. He hasn't gotten a lot of opportunities prior to last night. What he should be working on though is his help D because he seems to pick up a ton of fouls on the rotation. He's not gonna get 50-50 calls like KG and other bigs get so he has to work on getting into position quickly and keeping himself in vertical position. In a situation where a little guy puts up a shot and you are in good position to block it, swat it away. But you're not gonna block a shot when the dude is coming at you full speed jumping into you. Just stand there hands straight up.

Zan Tabak 11-23-2012 08:48 AM

Been more than happy with JV (remember he's 20 years old! ). Just wish Casey had more confidence to play him during critical times of the game.

n00bie 11-23-2012 12:40 PM

Hope he sticks to improving his post up games / defending / rebounding attributes. I'd hate to see him focus on jump shots and turn into another Bargnani.

clipse 11-23-2012 02:32 PM

He needs to be able to drill a 16-18 footer when getting the ball after setting high screens. Defenses won't be able to trap Lowry if he makes those shots consistently. I have no doubt he will develop that shot, knowing he'll be used in a lot of pick and roll/pick and pop situations.

Legends66NBA7 11-23-2012 05:14 PM

I made a thread a while back about his potential on both ends, following the Olympics:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=274828

You can see if he's adjusting his game to the max or not in that thread.

Chamberlain 11-23-2012 05:34 PM

I've yet to see a single thing in his game to complain about, but he definitely needs to improve on his mid range shot. The future is bright for this kid.

bokes15 11-23-2012 07:36 PM

12 games into his rookie season and as Tabak pointed out 20 years old, he has a ton of time to develop. He's actually exceeding expectations thus far in limited minutes IMO.

00playboy00 11-27-2012 03:20 PM

Baring an injury this guy will be a monster soon - one thing that really took me by surprise is his competitive fire.

Burgz V2 11-27-2012 04:22 PM

once the 10 to 15 range jumper comes this kid is going to be a beast

Jballer 11-29-2012 10:41 AM

BUMP ....

Jonas Valanciunas, Toronto Raptors

With Andrea Bargnani struggling, Valanciunas is the Raptorsí one true frontcourt hope. Valanciunas is so many things that Bargnani is simply not ó a competent rebounder, a good finisher, a patient participant in Torontoís offense ó and itís in that separation that he gives the Raptors a much-needed relief. Even on a team hit hard by injuries at already weak positions, Bargnaniís chucking act has grown stale, and his defensive devolution has mitigated much of promise born from an incredible start to the 2011-12 season. Heís worn out his welcome and shows no sign of changing his game in a way that would make him more amenable to a team still establishing its defense-first identity.

That makes everything Valanciunas does looks rather rosy by comparison. Thereís a certain glow surrounding Valanciunas these days, built in part by his game and personality, but also due to the fact that he gives coach Dwane Casey a theoretical Bargnani alternative and a promising prospect. Casey clearly has his reservations about playing Valanciunas heavy minutes (heís averaging just over 24 minutes a game), but thereís no question that the Rapsí future rests with the 20-year-old Lithuanian and his eventual development.

The early returns have been rather mixed, as is typically the case with rookies. His ability to convert dunks and layups is somewhat offset by the trouble he has navigating the lane while rolling toward the rim. His shot-blocking ability is mitigated by the fact that he gets completely crossed up in his defensive rotations at times and has been frequently caught out of position. Heís experimenting with a mid-range set shot that would be a valuable expansion to his game, but hasnít yet had much success. Heís a useful player with a bright future, but letís not let Bargnaniís struggles paint Valanciunas as anything more than he is ó a talented, developing big man deserving of more minutes and a slightly longer leash.

http://nba.si.com/2012/11/28/nba-roo...sct=nba_t12_a0