Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Toronto Raptors Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Raps Land Pietrus (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=282858)

T-Low 11-29-2012 08:16 PM

Raps Land Pietrus

Quote:

The Toronto Raptors have agreed to sign veteran shooting guard Mickael Pietrus, USA TODAY Sports has learned.

According to two people with knowledge of the situation, veteran small forward Dominic McGuire is likely to be released by the Raptors in order to make room for Pietrus. The Raptors (3-13) need help, and the addition of Pietrus is expected to be finalized on Friday.

The two people spoke to USA TODAY Sports on condition of anonymity because the deal had not been announced.

Fourth-year shooting guard DeMar DeRozan leads Toronto in scoring at 18.1 points per game, although the Raptors rank 17th in scoring at 95.9 points per game.

Pietrus played in 42 games with Boston last season and 38 games with Phoenix the season before. The career reserve who shoots with range and is a quality defender has averaged 8.4 points and 3.1 rebounds in his nine-year career.

Stop it, Colangelo!

Chamberlain 11-29-2012 08:20 PM

Re: Raps Land Pietrus

2006 version of me: Yay!!!!!!!

But, no.

He probably is better than both Fields and Anderson but holy ****, Colangelo.

Zan Tabak 11-29-2012 08:40 PM

Yay! :(

Qwyjibo 11-29-2012 09:01 PM

The SF situation has been the epitome of "throwing shit against a wall and seeing if it sticks".

Pietrus, Fields, Maguire, Anderson, Turkoglu, Moon, Kapono, others.

Jason freaking Kapono. Do we all remember the "Calderon, Parker, Kapono, Bosh, Bargnani" starting lineup? How THAT was the plan for that one year.

Bcogswell 11-29-2012 09:24 PM

Is this actually official? I seen a tweet by the RaptorsPR that said it wasn't true. They might have just said that because its not been announced yet?

Jballer 11-29-2012 09:53 PM

Do you believe this is the 2nd worst team in the league over 61 more games ?

If you do - this signing is terrible.

Do you believe this team is out of playoffs but 10th in the east around 33 wins - projected over the full season ?

Then this is not a bad signing at all. Pietrus > McQuire - sure - meh - yes I buy it.

From the perspective of win now this means not too much. This may be enough to lock them in to "nearly competitive" in the east and in so doing perhaps protect the lottery balls in the draft ; or make the Oklahoma (via Houston) pick so mediocre that it comes into play again for the Raps in some other move - renegotiation. Maybe the Thunder dont want a 15th first rounder but would be interested in packing the trade back for Calderon / Davis and something else ? Who knows... frankly who cares. Wont make Collangelo look like a hero - wont make him look like a goat... anymore than he is.

Either way Pietrus is a decent player who will be motivated to give some on the court to land long term stability and will be fun to watch as a fan. I wont mind seeing him here. He is not to blame for the state of the team and its only MLSE money.

Chamberlain 11-29-2012 10:04 PM

I actually don't mind Pietrus as a role player, but like Q said, at this point its just throwing shit against the wall and seeing what sticks. Another signing in the continuing saga of this team having absolutely zero direction.

Chamberlain 11-29-2012 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bcogswell
Is this actually official? I seen a tweet by the RaptorsPR that said it wasn't true. They might have just said that because its not been announced yet?

Quote:

Mickael Pietrus has reached agreement on a one-year, veteran-minimum contract with the Toronto Raptors, agent Bill McCandless confirmed to RealGM on Thursday night. The deal will be made official Friday, McCandless said.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...Gui re_Waived

Bcogswell 11-29-2012 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chamberlain

Oh ok, well its better than nothing. Even though its probably one of the saddest attempts I've seen BC made in trying to save his ass. :oldlol:

Chamberlain 11-29-2012 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bcogswell
Oh ok, well its better than nothing. Even though its probably one of the saddest attempts I've seen BC made in trying to save his ass. :oldlol:

Absolutely :oldlol:

I mean, losing McGuire for Pietrus is an upgrade for sure, I just don't see the purpose it serves.

Bcogswell 11-29-2012 10:36 PM

Quote:

I mean, losing McGuire for Pietrus is an upgrade for sure, I just don't see the purpose it serves.

Hopefully it means that they are trying to trade Fields or something.. One can only hope though. :(

bokes15 11-30-2012 12:47 AM

Quote:

Desperation move. One thing that BC has remained consistent on in his tenure here is that when things get bad his ultimate willingness to make 1 of 2 kind of moves when things aren't going right:

1. Grab a player out of the bargain bin (waivers, FA, D-League, Europe, Random Park outside, Harlem Globe Trotters).

2. Make a minor trade for a bench/role player.

If it's a medium level low risk/low reward move BC will be on it like white on rice. But to anyone with a brain and some common sense, this isn't a team that needs minor tweaks. Either give us a complete overhaul or leave it alone and let us get someone good in the draft (and hopefully a new GM) in the process.

Beebo 11-30-2012 01:16 AM

We just waived our starter!!

:yaohappy:

lilbeastnani 11-30-2012 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beebo
We just waived our starter!!

:yaohappy:

:roll: :roll: That's classic.

Sakkreth 11-30-2012 04:28 AM