Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Toronto Raptors Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   can the raps cash in on their assets? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283108)

barkleynash 12-02-2012 05:06 PM

can the raps cash in on their assets?
 
With the season on the brink so early, wondering what people think BC will do.
Clearly, I think that Calderon and Bargs could net the raps Gasol.
Not sure we really want to go with Pau, I'd rather get draft picks or a solid wing player. Also not too excited to bail the lakers out of their financial mess. I wonder if the lakers would take on Fields instead of Jose.

lowry, Jose
Ross, Anderson
Derozen, Kleiza
Pau, Davis
val, amir

La,
nash, blake/duhon
kobe, Meeks
artest, fields
bargs, jamison
Howard, hill

The raps get rid of Fields, who's contract is not good, and bargs, who most rap fans don't seem to want. The lakers put shooters around howard.

The raps have 2 years with Pau and then can hit the reset button once again. Ross gets to play and derozen moves over the his natural 3 spot, where his lack of shooting is not so magnified.

What do raps think of this trade?

Dr.Funk 12-02-2012 05:42 PM

Re: can the raps cash in on their assets?
 
Treadmill, but I do it.

Bargs long ago broke the camels back on his time here and getting rid of Fields terrible contract is a no brainer.

bokes15 12-02-2012 07:16 PM

Re: can the raps cash in on their assets?
 
To me, with the way this league is going it seems the simplest formula for a championship team is athletic, solid 2 way wing players and bigs who play their role. An idea I had (based on something I was messing with in trade machine)

Bargnani/T.Ross for Josh Smith

And then we just flip Calderon for a glue guy vet and some draft picks or something

Lowry/Lucas
Derozan/Pietrus
J.Smith/Kleiza
Davis/Amir/Acy
Val/Filler/Gray

And then we play out the season see what we've got and fill the gaps in the offseason.

barkleynash 12-02-2012 07:34 PM

Re: can the raps cash in on their assets?
 
Bokes, I was thinking of something similar, but the guy I had in mind was millsap.
bargs for milllsap with us giving something else as well. I like it because I feel like Paul would be more likely to want to play in T.O.

I also like it because he can play alot at the 3 spot as well as the 4. It helps solve some our problems at the 3 and the 4, plus opens up more time for davis. . But I would be reluctant to do it if I had to give up ross.
maybe something like millsap and burks for bargs and ross, as I feel like ross has more upside than burks, who seems to have fallen out of favour with the jazz. If we could somehow pull this trade off and keep ross, I'd jump at it right now.

bokes15 12-02-2012 07:46 PM

Re: can the raps cash in on their assets?
 
I wouldn't mind getting Pau but only thing is what does Pau do for us in the long run? We would definitely win more games with Pau than without him and he's 32 so he's kind of a "win now" type of player instead of a guy we just throw out there ala Pietrus and have him net us more wins for no particular reason.

el gringos 12-02-2012 09:18 PM

Re: can the raps cash in on their assets?
 
Obviously the roster has a ton of flexibility for a trade. The question I have for you is who do you see as positive trade value and who has negative value.

Positive value- Bargnani and Calderon (other teams fans counting Calderon as a throw in is laughable)


Negative trade value- fields.


The question marks are kleiza and Amir Johnson. IMO Johnson should count as positive value as a decent contract for a good 4th/3rd big.


I know trade ideas you don't like, but other than the idea of "draft picks and capspace" what are the actual trade ideas. I see two choices 1) getting a core piece in return for Bargnani and Calderon or 2) getting good players and serious cap relief. I hope it's number 2

Beebo 12-03-2012 05:17 PM

Re: can the raps cash in on their assets?
 
Kobe would literally murder Bargnani if he was a laker

Look at how he's calling out Pau. Just imagine no rebound/defense bargnani in LA of all places :roll:

bokes15 12-03-2012 06:02 PM

Re: can the raps cash in on their assets?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beebo
Kobe would literally murder Bargnani if he was a laker

Look at how he's calling out Pau. Just imagine no rebound/defense bargnani in LA of all places :roll:

:oldlol: Dude would be calling for Bargnani's head probably after day 1 of practice. On the bright side I guess he could benefit from the fact that Kobe could tell him to stop being a p*ssy in Italian. :confusedshrug:

T-Low 12-03-2012 08:19 PM

Re: can the raps cash in on their assets?
 
It doesn't work great. Say Colangelo decides to trade Bargs (laugh and a half)....he will try to get to much for him and trade talks would go nowhere....

Jballer 12-04-2012 10:57 AM

Re: can the raps cash in on their assets?
 
Yes the Toronto Raptors can cash in on their assets.

The big question has to be which ones.

As always what comes back given the cap hits.

1) Kyle Lowry - Big value
SI.com already asks the pointed question (Powerranking). Should we trade Klow ? Klow is a impending free agent end of next year and given the team performace - will they be able to retain him ? I suspect if they max out Klow he will stay but you never know...

2) Jose Calderon - Great player - low ball bids?
He knows he is gone... all the teams in the league knows he is gone... the offers coming back will be very slim and sparse as the other teams cam low ball the Raptors. They know we want to move his contract - they also know Toronto might be desperate to be seen making a move.

3) Andreas Bargnani - Talented player - has to be the right fit
Barges has clearly worn out his welcome in TO. I think most people including the press realize its best to part ways - but what kinda deal can be done? Problem is his style of game - a big man playing outside - fits only certain circumstances and those teams might not be in a postion to aquire him. Denver ? Clippers ? Houston ? Outside of those destinations I dont see other good fits - esepcially one where the cap hit makes a deal even possible.

4) Ed Davis - Good Promise - do we loose him to get another deal done ?
It would be too bad if we did - but it is probable - even likely. Ed is performing very maturely with energy and contribution. I think most fans and bloggers would like to see him stay but he may be thecog that is required to get a bigger deal done.

5) Amir Johnson - overpayed except in Toronto and Cleveland?
His deal runs out in 2015. Has value to a lot of teams... but most teams cant afford to pay him this much unless they are building i.e. Cavs, Bobcats, Raptors OR are one important inside presence from a deep run into the playoffs... San Antonio anyone ?

letshaveacorona 12-04-2012 01:44 PM

Re: can the raps cash in on their assets?
 
@ JBaller -whats up. I read that article and SI doesnt suggest we trade Lowry. It suggests we should be wise to trade Lowry backup Jose Calderon you may have read it wrong or did you get that from a different article?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...?sct=nba_wr_a3

el gringos 12-05-2012 02:09 AM

Re: can the raps cash in on their assets?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jballer
Yes the Toronto Raptors can cash in on their assets.

The big question has to be which ones.

As always what comes back given the cap hits.

1) Kyle Lowry - Big value
SI.com already asks the pointed question (Powerranking). Should we trade Klow ? Klow is a impending free agent end of next year and given the team performace - will they be able to retain him ? I suspect if they max out Klow he will stay but you never know...

2) Jose Calderon - Great player - low ball bids?
He knows he is gone... all the teams in the league knows he is gone... the offers coming back will be very slim and sparse as the other teams cam low ball the Raptors. They know we want to move his contract - they also know Toronto might be desperate to be seen making a move.

3) Andreas Bargnani - Talented player - has to be the right fit
Barges has clearly worn out his welcome in TO. I think most people including the press realize its best to part ways - but what kinda deal can be done? Problem is his style of game - a big man playing outside - fits only certain circumstances and those teams might not be in a postion to aquire him. Denver ? Clippers ? Houston ? Outside of those destinations I dont see other good fits - esepcially one where the cap hit makes a deal even possible.

4) Ed Davis - Good Promise - do we loose him to get another deal done ?
It would be too bad if we did - but it is probable - even likely. Ed is performing very maturely with energy and contribution. I think most fans and bloggers would like to see him stay but he may be thecog that is required to get a bigger deal done.

5) Amir Johnson - overpayed except in Toronto and Cleveland?
His deal runs out in 2015. Has value to a lot of teams... but most teams cant afford to pay him this much unless they are building i.e. Cavs, Bobcats, Raptors OR are one important inside presence from a deep run into the playoffs... San Antonio anyone ?

You think teams that Bargnani fits are teams without post scoring presence or a team with Blake Griffen at pf?

Jballer 12-07-2012 10:50 AM

Re: can the raps cash in on their assets?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by letshaveacorona
@ JBaller -whats up. I read that article and SI doesnt suggest we trade Lowry. It suggests we should be wise to trade Lowry backup Jose Calderon you may have read it wrong or did you get that from a different article?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...?sct=nba_wr_a3


Reading it again - agreed - doesnt say what I thought - you are correct.

Still a legit question. .... will Klow want to stay ?

Jballer 12-07-2012 10:56 AM

Re: can the raps cash in on their assets?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by el gringos
You think teams that Bargnani fits are teams without post scoring presence or a team with Blake Griffen at pf?


Yes - I think barges would fit well with a team like the Clips; where Blake and D'Andrade score the majority of their points in the low post. I would think Barges would add a new element to that particular team i.e. rotating through the big man poisition with an outside shot - and also playing some 3 for mismatches.... seemingly they would be good enough to compensate for his RPG and "some percieved" d liability. I mean Barges playing at 3 would have to rotate on D to cover the opposite 4 and his one on one D has been said to be decent.

I think the clips is probably the best situation for Barges as the 6th man. I just dont know what they would send back - obviously a guard as they have about 400 of them.

As for the other teams i.e. with out a post man... I am suggesting those teams may have a need for a low post player AND the cap space if the right back dollars flow back and forth. Not sure that Barges is as good a fit.

letshaveacorona 12-08-2012 08:10 PM

Re: can the raps cash in on their assets?
 
Why do we all seem to believe that Bargs is an outside threat? I mean seriously think about it look at his averages theynare horrendous. i would much rather have Derozen, Lowry, Calderon, Pietrus on and on taking 3's before Bargnani. Bargs can shoot like nobodys business as we have all been painfully witnessing. one small problem is he is unable to shoot the ball in the basket which is required to score points and Casey keeps pretending that he can. Spacing?? I mean thats caseys explanation for playing Bargs at the 3pt line. its about time Casey took a look at our record and Bargs 3pt percentage and realized this game plan is not working.

Bargs needs to go and I think he has value to a team that will also believe he can spread the floor. theres a fool born every minute they say im crossing my fingers.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy