Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Visiting New York (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283393)

SAKOTXA 12-05-2012 04:50 AM

Visiting New York
 
I'm taking an extended vacation from work and school for the first time in 3 years, finally. Two of my childhood friends who now live in Brooklyn invited myself and my fiance to New York for couple of weeks. I always dreamed of visiting one day, but never had the chance or time, so i said what the heck we're in.

I want to know every little thing there is to know about New York. Food joints, hotels, museums, and every other place that one would consider interesting and fun. I plan on having the best couple of weeks of my life, so let the suggestions begin you filthy New Yorkers.

I also plan on playing at Rucker Park, and that moment will be documented when it happens, so i might even post it in this thread when i get back.

Jakeh008 12-05-2012 05:26 AM

Re: Visiting New York
 
http://insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264961

http://insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234001

:cheers:

SAKOTXA 12-05-2012 05:29 AM

Re: Visiting New York
 
Search option would help, you know...Jeff. :lol

Thanks bro, i'll read both of those threads.

KevinNYC 12-05-2012 01:23 PM

Re: Visiting New York
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SAKOTXA
Search option would help, you know...Jeff. :lol

Thanks bro, i'll read both of those threads.


What neighborhood in Brooklyn do your friends live? What types of things do you like in museums?

We just talked about NYC food in a recent Thai food thread
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...=283032&page=3

Rake2204 04-06-2014 11:15 AM

Re: Visiting New York
 
I may be driving within the general vicinity of NYC but have never been. I have nothing major planned within the city but thought it might be worth seeing if I was over that way. The question is, would it be better to get a hotel within the city for a day or two or to get a hotel outside of the city and work my way in for a couple days?

Is it possible to find a cheap accommodation within NYC or Manhattan in a solid/safe area, with cheap perhaps meaning less than $175 an evening? Or is it cheaper to be on the outside and find a way to commute inward?

I understand it takes many days to take in New York City. I am not afforded that time schedule, but thought something might be better than nothing. I just wanted to know if it was possible or worthy to make it happen. I'm about as ignorant as it comes referring anything on the east coast, particularly NYC.

bagelred 04-06-2014 11:31 AM

Re: Visiting New York
 
Quote:

I want to know every little thing there is to know about New York.

Even people who live here their whole lives don't know that...

You have to give us more info. What do you like to do? What do you want to see? Do you want to sightsee? party? culture? food? music? sports?....there's no way we can recommend things until you tell us more about what you want and like. Do you have money? You looking for budget recommendations? What season/what specific dates will you be here?

Where in Brooklyn are you staying?




.

Rake2204 04-06-2014 11:41 AM

Re: Visiting New York
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bagelred
Even people who live here their whole lives don't know that...

You have to give us more info. What do you like to do? What do you want to see? Do you want to sightsee? party? culture? food? music? sports?....there's no way we can recommend things until you tell us more about what you want and like. Do you have money? You looking for budget recommendations? What season/what specific dates will you be here?

Where in Brooklyn are you staying?

Hey, sorry, the post you're referencing is old. I was searching for threads on visiting New York and this one popped up. I probably should have just started a new thread instead of bumping it with my own questions. My bad.

D-FENS 04-07-2014 09:08 AM

Re: Visiting New York
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rake2204
I may be driving within the general vicinity of NYC but have never been. I have nothing major planned within the city but thought it might be worth seeing if I was over that way. The question is, would it be better to get a hotel within the city for a day or two or to get a hotel outside of the city and work my way in for a couple days?

Is it possible to find a cheap accommodation within NYC or Manhattan in a solid/safe area, with cheap perhaps meaning less than $175 an evening? Or is it cheaper to be on the outside and find a way to commute inward?

I understand it takes many days to take in New York City. I am not afforded that time schedule, but thought something might be better than nothing. I just wanted to know if it was possible or worthy to make it happen. I'm about as ignorant as it comes referring anything on the east coast, particularly NYC.


Stay at the Days Inn, 94th and Broadway - roughly about $120 a night and it's decent for sleeping. Right by the subway and Central Park. You can see a lot of New York in a couple of days. I was there for a trade show last February and managed to run in Central Park in the morning, and took a bunch of photos like Strawberry Fields and the Dakota. Also went to Ground Zero (book tickets online, they're free, but you need to book) pay your respects. Went to Times Square, walked past 30 Rock, Empire State Building and down to the tip of the island to see the Statue of Liberty.

It's very easy to get around, lots of people want to help, and they're very friendly. I stayed with a well connected friend so I saw some underground bands on a Sunday night, too - was awesome.

KevinNYC 04-07-2014 09:38 AM

Re: Visiting New York
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rake2204
I may be driving within the general vicinity of NYC but have never been. I have nothing major planned within the city but thought it might be worth seeing if I was over that way. The question is, would it be better to get a hotel within the city for a day or two or to get a hotel outside of the city and work my way in for a couple days?

Is it possible to find a cheap accommodation within NYC or Manhattan in a solid/safe area, with cheap perhaps meaning less than $175 an evening? Or is it cheaper to be on the outside and find a way to commute inward?

I understand it takes many days to take in New York City. I am not afforded that time schedule, but thought something might be better than nothing. I just wanted to know if it was possible or worthy to make it happen. I'm about as ignorant as it comes referring anything on the east coast, particularly NYC.

you should be able to find hotels s that fit what you inside Manhattan. Planning ahead helps. Also a ton of hotels have opened recently in Brooklyn and queens . So just a short commute to Manhattan

rufuspaul 04-07-2014 09:49 AM

Re: Visiting New York
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinNYC
you should be able to find hotels s that fit what you inside Manhattan. Planning ahead helps. Also a ton of hotels have opened recently in Brooklyn and queens . So just a short commute to Manhattan



Last minute bookings on Hotwire is the way to go. Last time I went to NYC I got a very nice room at the Westin Grand Central for $99/night.

KevinNYC 04-07-2014 12:56 PM

Re: Visiting New York
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rufuspaul
Last minute bookings on Hotwire is the way to go. Last time I went to NYC I got a very nice room at the Westin Grand Central for $99/night.

You also have to budget for your car. Find out if the hotel has parking and if they charge for it.

rufuspaul 04-07-2014 01:03 PM

Re: Visiting New York
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinNYC
You also have to budget for your car. Find out if the hotel has parking and if they charge for it.



True. I never drive in New York and try to avoid it in most larger cities. Hotels charge an outrageous amount for parking.

Rake2204 04-07-2014 01:45 PM

Re: Visiting New York
 
The last five posts have all been very helpful. I have two younger brothers tagging along for the ride, and it turns out now their family is willing to cover a fair bit of room & board, so that was a nice bonus. With such little knowledge of the city and such short notice, we kinda decided to plop down exactly where one would expect a tourist to plop - Manhattan near Times Square. With the shared expense coming into the picture, we went with a spot for $160 a night and split three ways; not the greatest deal, but also not too shabby, no?

The fun part, and perhaps the most interesting, will be the fact that I opted to valet at the hotel. It kind of feels like a situation where you tell a kid not to touch the stove because it's hot, but he touches it anyway, like an idiot, just to see for himself. I've heard not to drive, and you guys said it wasn't a good idea, yet I merely called the hotel for the sake of inquiry and five minutes later I came out with a full travel plan.

I suppose the good news is after I experience what a bad idea driving downtown turned out to be, I'll be able to be the guy next time who's like, "I'm telling you from experience, don't drive downtown. Then the cycle shall continue.

rufuspaul 04-07-2014 01:58 PM

Re: Visiting New York
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rake2204
The last five posts have all been very helpful. I have two younger brothers tagging along for the ride, and it turns out now their family is willing to cover a fair bit of room & board, so that was a nice bonus. With such little knowledge of the city and such short notice, we kinda decided to plop down exactly where one would expect a tourist to plop - Manhattan near Times Square. With the shared expense coming into the picture, we went with a spot for $160 a night and split three ways; not the greatest deal, but also not too shabby, no?

The fun part, and perhaps the most interesting, will be the fact that I opted to valet at the hotel. It kind of feels like a situation where you tell a kid not to touch the stove because it's hot, but he touches it anyway, like an idiot, just to see for himself. I've heard not to drive, and you guys said it wasn't a good idea, yet I merely called the hotel for the sake of inquiry and five minutes later I came out with a full travel plan.

I suppose the good news is after I experience what a bad idea driving downtown turned out to be, I'll be able to be the guy next time who's like, "I'm telling you from experience, don't drive downtown. Then the cycle shall continue.



Driving's really not that bad if you time it right. Download a map and learn which direction the Aves and Streets run. What hotel did you pick? For Times Square you'll probably come down 7th Ave. Which runs pretty well. Once you get to the hotel there's no need to get the car again until you check out anyway.

Rake2204 04-07-2014 02:40 PM

Re: Visiting New York
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rufuspaul
Driving's really not that bad if you time it right. Download a map and learn which direction the Aves and Streets run. What hotel did you pick? For Times Square you'll probably come down 7th Ave. Which runs pretty well. Once you get to the hotel there's no need to get the car again until you check out anyway.

Appreciate the reassurance. Went with the Edison Hotel on W. 47th. I found its art deco stylings appealed to my tastes (aka it was a relatively good deal that happened to pop up).


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy