Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Rob Parker illustrating what lines a journalist should not cross (re: RG3) (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284257)

Real Men Wear Green 12-13-2012 02:07 PM

Rob Parker illustrating what lines a journalist should not cross (re: RG3)

RG3 recently said:
Quote:

"I am an African-American in America. That will never change. But I don't have to be defined by that.''

The league's highest-rated passer, who has led the 7-6 Redskins into postseason contention with 10 of his 18 touchdowns thrown during a four-game win streak, said he is aware of why so many black Redskins fans take reflected pride in his success.

"I am aware how much race is relevant to them,'' RGIII said. "I don't ignore it. I try not to be defined by it. But I understand different persectives and how people view different things. I understand that they're excited that their quarterback is an African-American. I play with a lot of pride, a lot of character, a lot of heart. I understand that. I appreciate them for being fans and not just fans because they're African-Americans.''
In response to this statement Parker went on First Take today and had a BS "blackness" trip. He pointed to Griffin's white fiancee and alleged he may be a Republican (I don't know what that's based on), for which sins he labeled Griffin a "Cornball Brother." "Real people," according to Parker, who go to the barber shop apparently don't appreciate whatever it is Parker thinks RG3 stands for.

Questions:

1. Why can't he marry a white woman?

2. Why can't he be a Republican (if he is)?

3. Why does he have to meditate 24/7 on being a black quarterback? (IMO, it's positive not to think about it. Less pressure that way...that's another topic though)

4. What gives Parker and his ilk the right to judge RG3 for not wanting to be whoever it is Parker thinks he should be?

niko 12-13-2012 02:15 PM

Re: Rob Parker illustrating what lines a journalist should not cross (re: RG3)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
RG3 recently said:In response to this statement Parker went on First Take today and had a BS "blackness" trip. He pointed to Griffin's white fiancee and alleged he was a Republican (I don't know what that's based on), for which sins he labeled Griffin a "Cornball Brother." "Real people," according to Parker, who go to the barber shop apparently don't appreciate whatever it is Parker thinks RG3 stands for.

Questions:

1. Why can't he marry a white woman?

2. Why can't he be a Republican (if he is)?

3. Why does he have to meditate 24/7 on being a black quarterback? (IMO, it's positive not to think about it. Less pressure that way...that's another topic though)

4. What gives Parker and his ilk the right to judge RG3 for not wanting to be whoever it is Parker thinks he should be?

The black white QB thing is done, no? How many good black QB's are there? It's funny though, #1 i hear from my friends and coworkers. We go to japanese school (my daughter) and a few of the kids are mixed black/japanese and the fathers are actually very into their roots. My friends (the women) wonder all the time why they'd marry a Japanese woman? And it's not harsh but it's clearly not looked at as positive.

Calling him a "cornball brother" is ridiculous. That's not journalism, that's just hatred.

Real Men Wear Green 12-13-2012 02:25 PM

Some black women get annoyed when they see a successful black man like Griffin date outside the race. It's related to the feeling that society judges them to be less beautiful. There are certainly people that think white women are more attractive than black, and black men that won't date black women. We could get into that convo and go on and on (and maybe we will). But last I checked, First Take is a show about sports. If RG3 throws 5 interceptions go ahead and say he played like a bum, but if he's married to a white woman that should be out of bounds as a reason to attack him. His private life is off-limits.

Heilige 12-13-2012 02:58 PM

Many people think Republicans don't care about black people and their interests and are more racist in general than Democrats. See the Southern Strategy.

Real Men Wear Green 12-13-2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heilige
Many people think Republicans don't care about black people and their interests and are more racist in general than Democrats. See the Southern Strategy.

Which doesn't justify calling RG3 a "cornball brother" just because he may (again, it's in no way substantiated) be a Republican. What if he is? Maybe he thinks low taxes and free enterprise are the way to improve the black community? So what. Tom Brady and John Elway are alowed to be Republicans without being attacked, why can't Griffin. Who, again, hasn't even shown himself to be a Republican?

-p.tiddy- 12-13-2012 03:18 PM

anytime people make a big deal of an ATHLETE's meaningless personal biz it is silly

is RG3 a republican? really who gives a shit? he throws a football for a living

did Dez spend too much on his necklace? who gives a fck

does Rex like feet?

only time personal shit should enter the picture is if a law if broken...

Heilige 12-13-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Which doesn't justify calling RG3 a "cornball brother" just because he may (again, it's in no way substantiated) be a Republican. What if he is? Maybe he thinks low taxes and free enterprise are the way to improve the black community? So what. Tom Brady and John Elway are alowed to be Republicans without being attacked, why can't Griffin. Who, again, hasn't even shown himself to be a Republican?

I agree with everything you said, but that is how it can be sometimes in the black community.

Many black people are distrustful towards Republicans so when another black person votes Republican or is affiliated with them, they are considered a "sellout" or "Uncle Tom".

Real Men Wear Green 12-13-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heilige
I agree with everything you said, but that is how it can be sometimes in the black community.

Many black people are distrustful towards Republicans so when another black person votes Republican or is affiliated with them, they are considered a "sellout" or "Uncle Tom".

I know. I am saying that a respected journalist on a sports show like Parker should not be saying such things. To me he leveled a bunch of personal attacks at someone that didn't deserve it, going into areas that are none of his business anyway.

sunsfan1357 12-13-2012 03:44 PM

Quote:

I know. I am saying that a respected journalist on a sports show like Parker should not be saying such things. To me he leveled a bunch of personal attacks at someone that didn't deserve it, going into areas that are none of his business anyway.

:no:

Real Men Wear Green 12-13-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunsfan1357
:no:

He's got enough support to get on ESPN so someone thinks he's worth hearing. I'm not a fan personally but mine/ours is not the only opinion.

IGOTGAME 12-13-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Some black women get annoyed when they see a successful black man like Griffin date outside the race. It's related to the feeling that society judges them to be less beautiful. There are certainly people that think white women are more attractive than black, and black men that won't date black women. We could get into that convo and go on and on (and maybe we will). But last I checked, First Take is a show about sports. If RG3 throws 5 interceptions go ahead and say he played like a bum, but if he's married to a white woman that should be out of bounds as a reason to attack him. His private life is off-limits.

that comment about his white fiance was totally out of line. If I was a celeb, I would have a black file of dirt on guys like Rob Parker, Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith. They would attempt to come at me and shit would get real ugly. Pictures of mistresses, domestic abuse, academic dishonesty etc... you gotta ruin someones career and then the rest will shut up.

Real Men Wear Green 12-13-2012 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
that comment about his white fiance was totally out of line. If I was a celeb, I would have a black file of dirt on guys like Rob Parker, Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith. They would attempt to come at me and shit would get real ugly. Pictures of mistresses, domestic abuse, academic dishonesty etc... you gotta ruin someones career and then the rest will shut up.

To defend the other two, they stayed out of his personal life and Smith specifically said he doesn't feel comfortable talking about personal lives. Bayless doesn't normally go personal with his trolling, he just says ridiculous things about what players do on the field/court.

irondarts 12-13-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

He's got enough support to get on ESPN so someone thinks he's worth hearing. I'm not a fan personally but mine/ours is not the only opinion.

ESPN lost their journalistic credibility a long time ago. This is just another example of an idiot saying something idiotic for headlines. Seems like this is all ESPN cares about

Real Men Wear Green 12-13-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irondarts
ESPN lost their journalistic credibility a long time ago. This is just another example of an idiot saying something idiotic for headlines. Seems like this is all ESPN cares about

As sensationalist as they are, ESPN is by far the elite of sports media. A minority of the population may feel that they know better but for the overwhelming majority they are the standard.

Real Men Wear Green 12-13-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

To defend the other two, they stayed out of his personal life and Smith specifically said he doesn't feel comfortable talking about personal lives. Bayless doesn't normally go personal with his trolling, he just says ridiculous things about what players do on the field/court.

Correction: Just remembered Bayless said Aikman might be gay.