Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Predict Floyd Mayweather Jr 2013 (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284826)

DonD13 12-19-2012 03:14 PM

Predict Floyd Mayweather Jr 2013

he'll fight may 4 and in september

it's always easy to talk shit afterward that's why I would like to know now who you would like to see. which fights would be great? which ones would be unacceptable? what do you think will happen?

Me, I think at very least one of the following has to happen: Canelo, Trout, Martinez, Bradley.

For the May fight the most logical would be Canelo. Would make huuuge money. Would love it! But somehow I think he might endup with Guerrero. Then take on Martinez?

What do you think?

imnew09 12-19-2012 04:14 PM

Re: Predict Floyd Mayweather Jr 2013

Mayweather Vs Canelo!!!

One of them gotta lose, unless they tie it...

Edwin 12-19-2012 04:34 PM

Floyd vs. Canelo is probably one of the 2 fights and the other against Guerrero.

Floyd's winning both fights either way.

Wade3 12-19-2012 04:41 PM

Guerrero in May
Canelo in September

Not sure if Martinez is really a realistic option tbh although if he won that fight he'd solidify himself as a Top 20 ATG up there with the likes of Leonard, Fitzsimmons and Joe Louis

RedBlackAttack 12-20-2012 02:06 AM

Martinez is not really realistic, although I do think Floyd probably would beat him. I would be really surprised if Floyd ever fought again at 154. He fought DLH at 154 because he was still attempting to break through into the mainstream and really the only way to do that for a boxer was to fight DLH at that time. Since it was inconceivable that DLH would come back down to 147 (although he later would come down to fight Pacquiao), Floyd had to move up to 154.

The other time was Cotto, who has spent the vast majority of his career fighting at 140 and 147. Although bigger than Floyd, Cotto isn't really a natural 154-pounder.

Martinez, on the other hand, is a guy who splits time between 160 and 154. He is a natural 154-pounder and some may argue that he is most comfortable at 160.

I think there is just too much of a natural size disparity to really expect this fight to ever happen. That said, I think Floyd would have some major stylistic advantages over Martinez and, if he was only concerned about his legacy, that is a fight he would take. Unfortunately, we know that Floyd (like almost all boxers) rarely consider their legacy when making a fight.

The most probable bouts for Floyd in 2013 are are Guerrero followed by Canelo. That is also the path I expect him to take... And I think it is completely acceptable. Those are probably the two best realistic fights out there for him at the moment.

kNicKz 12-20-2012 02:12 AM

He needs to stick to 145-7 lb fights. When he went up to fight de la hoya he clearly struggled and though he finished strong he definitely struggled in that cotto fight. I'd like to see him fight guerrero or brook

DonD13 12-20-2012 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Martinez is not really realistic, although I do think Floyd probably would beat him. I would be really surprised if Floyd ever fought again at 154. He fought DLH at 154 because he was still attempting to break through into the mainstream and really the only way to do that for a boxer was to fight DLH at that time. Since it was inconceivable that DLH would come back down to 147 (although he later would come down to fight Pacquiao), Floyd had to move up to 154.

The other time was Cotto, who has spent the vast majority of his career fighting at 140 and 147. Although bigger than Floyd, Cotto isn't really a natural 154-pounder.

Martinez, on the other hand, is a guy who splits time between 160 and 154. He is a natural 154-pounder and some may argue that he is most comfortable at 160.

I think there is just too much of a natural size disparity to really expect this fight to ever happen. That said, I think Floyd would have some major stylistic advantages over Martinez and, if he was only concerned about his legacy, that is a fight he would take. Unfortunately, we know that Floyd (like almost all boxers) rarely consider their legacy when making a fight.

The most probable bouts for Floyd in 2013 are are Guerrero followed by Canelo. That is also the path I expect him to take... And I think it is completely acceptable. Those are probably the two best realistic fights out there for him at the moment.

I agree with pretty much everything. I’d be happy with Guerrero and Canelo too.

Martinez said he’d come down to 150 but that’s not really what I want to see…

Quote:

Originally Posted by kNicKz
He needs to stick to 145-7 lb fights. When he went up to fight de la hoya he clearly struggled and though he finished strong he definitely struggled in that cotto fight. I'd like to see him fight guerrero or brook

Wow. You want to see him against guerrero and brook?

I’d call that cherry picking…

plowking 12-20-2012 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kNicKz

He sure as hell didn't struggle against DLH. I don't know what the judges were watching but I don't know how they came to the decision they did. Floyd clearly won that fight, and it wasn't particularly close.

I agree on Cotto though. Maybe it just wasn't his night and he was slightly off, but he certainly wasn't at his best.

DonD13 12-20-2012 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plowking
He sure as hell didn't struggle against DLH. I don't know what the judges were watching but I don't know how they came to the decision they did. Floyd clearly won that fight, and it wasn't particularly close.

I agree on Cotto though. Maybe it just wasn't his night and he was slightly off, but he certainly wasn't at his best.

would you mind to share how you scored the fight?
I mean Floyd obviously is the more skilled fighter but you can't give him rounds when he stands on the ropes in the pocket avoiding shots for most of the round. (I had him winning but the fight was very close imo)

PK3434 12-20-2012 01:04 PM

The next Floyd fight (probably Guerrero) will be interesting. The last time we saw floyd, against cotto, he got punched cleanly several times. After the fight, floyd claimed he went toe to toe with cotto for the fans excitement and thats why he got hit..now even floyds biggest supporters know thats a lie. Is he losing a little bit on his reaction time due to his age or was he just slightly off at a heavier weight than normal? Because lets be honest, Cotto looked like sh*t against Trout recently, and before mayweather he fought a washed up margarito.. so its not exactly like Cotto revived his career like some people thought (or hoped). I would expect Floyd to beat both Guerrero and Canelo, even if he has slowed down a little bit, but at least they have the potential to be exciting fights...so if you are someone like me who spends money on ppv fights and have been burned by boring floyd fights before, for entertainment value i hope floyd is slowing down a little bit...but who knows..i wouldnt be surprised if he put on a clinic and looks sharp as ever, like in the last round against cotto.

andremiller07 12-20-2012 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PK3434
Because lets be honest, Cotto looked like sh*t against Trout recently, and before mayweather he fought a washed up margarito.

A lot of people after they fight Mayweather are never the same

L.Kizzle 12-20-2012 07:47 PM

Hell fight a fighter yet to be named in this thread.

Turkododo 12-20-2012 09:02 PM

PistonsFan#21 12-20-2012 09:58 PM

Im thinking Guerrero followed by Canelo in late September or even November-December.

But i could imagine him fighting someone like Bradley.

I hope its Canelo and Martinez this year though. After that he`ll have nothing else to prove other than maybe a Pac fight to solidify his legacy but most of us already know the outcome of that fight

RedBlackAttack 12-21-2012 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PistonsFan#21
Im thinking Guerrero followed by Canelo in late September or even November-December.

But i could imagine him fighting someone like Bradley.

I hope its Canelo and Martinez this year though. After that he`ll have nothing else to prove other than maybe a Pac fight to solidify his legacy but most of us already know the outcome of that fight

You always have to take the promotional companies into account when analyzing who he may fight. Bradley is still with Top Rank, which means any fight against anyone with Golden Boy -- and especially Floyd Mayweather Jr. -- will be impossible.