Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Question: Are you a person who believes that... (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=285308)

Kews1 12-25-2012 07:19 AM

Question: Are you a person who believes that...
 
A) Players in the first few decades of the NBA are significantly lesser players than those in the latter half of its existence

OR

B) All players from all decades are equal in terms of basketball ability


Im talking in terms of elite players only, do you think the older players are equal to their more modern counterparts in general EDIT: and do you believe that taking all into consideration players from all eras are as good as one another?

Simple A & B answers will suffice

BEAST Griffin 12-25-2012 07:24 AM

Re: Question: Are you a person who believes that...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kews1
A) Players in the first few decades of the NBA are significantly lesser players than those in the latter half of its existence

OR

B) All players from all decades are equal in terms of basketball ability


Im talking in terms of elite players only, do you think the older players are equal to their more modern counterparts in general?

Simple A & B answers will suffice


B? They're equally talented whether or not they had the same access to modern technology. Modern technology is the only difference between players from today and in the past. I doubt that humans have evolved to become better and more athletic basketball players in a few decades.

Kews1 12-25-2012 07:30 AM

Re: Question: Are you a person who believes that...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BEAST Griffin
B? They're equally talented whether or not they had the same access to modern technology. Modern technology is the only difference between players from today and in the past. I doubt that humans have evolved to become better and more athletic basketball players in a few decades.


So you believe they were equally talented but with all things taken into consideration do you believe that they were equally as good? Has the technology today meant that the players in recent times are essentially better regardless of talent?

dunksby 12-25-2012 07:34 AM

Re: Question: Are you a person who believes that...
 
Bill Russell would have had the same if not a bigger impact imo same goes for the rest of elite players. In terms of numbers they'd put up I'm not sure since tactics and team play has evolved, so no 50+PPG for Wilt in today's era.

Graviton 12-25-2012 07:37 AM

Re: Question: Are you a person who believes that...
 
They were equally SKILLED in all eras, but modern advanced training, nutrition, medical assistance has maximised the TALENTS of current players. We basically have athlete breeding, from a young age an elite prospect is trained and monitored to be the best he can be. They had great athletes like Wilt, Russel and Oscar back in the day, but in today's era they would be even better with all the advantages of modern technology and science.

Crystallas 12-25-2012 07:41 AM

Re: Question: Are you a person who believes that...
 
A or B? Neither. Apples oranges no matter how you look at it. You can't grade players of an era in a collective. You also can't compare stats because each team is made-up entirely different in each era, with different play styles and rules.

poido123 12-25-2012 08:06 AM

Re: Question: Are you a person who believes that...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crystallas
A or B? Neither. Apples oranges no matter how you look at it. You can't grade players of an era in a collective. You also can't compare stats because each team is made-up entirely different in each era, with different play styles and rules.


This.

But if I was hypothetical, I'd say a noticeable change in athleticism and talent occured during the 80's, not so much a whole, but better individual talents that I believe would destroy other eras before them. MJ in his prime would of killed teams in the 40's, 50's, 60's, to the point where they would have to handicap him somehow.

yobore 12-25-2012 09:59 AM

Re: Question: Are you a person who believes that...
 
A. Sure there's better training yada yada, but the number 1 reason is basketball is much much more popular among the kids of the 80's-00's than it was in those days, so they're drawing on a much larger population, and a population that is more obsessed with basketball and has been playing a ton since they were little.

Rubio2Gasol 12-25-2012 10:05 AM

Re: Question: Are you a person who believes that...
 
A. For various reasons. There are some players whose talents would translate to the modern game really really well - Like West and Wilt would be a beast in any era but the overall talent pool, tactical outlook and training methods have become wider and more complex.

I will say this. People should only be judged by what they did within their era. You play the game in a certain context , just because the way someone played wouldn't be possible today does not lessen what they accomplished.

Guys who were better than the opposition and the best of their generation should be treated equally , regardless of if they're better than each other.

DukeDelonte13 12-25-2012 10:09 AM

Re: Question: Are you a person who believes that...
 
Yes there were some excellent players back then that could be successful in todays NBA. With that said, the talent pool back then was far far weaker than it is now.

embersyc 12-25-2012 10:13 AM

Re: Question: Are you a person who believes that...
 
A

However, not because of Human evolution or anything, but because of the plenitude of luxuries and modern conveniences the modern players have. For instance, a modern player has enough money to hire people to do things for them that a old school player had to do themselves. Thus a modern player can spend more time in the gym working on their game. The modern player has access to better nutritional science and can easily afford to have the best meals prepared for them. The modern player isn't cramed on a bus or commercial airliner to get to games, but has a private plane built to accommodate ballers. In addition modern scouting is much much better and goes world wide to find the best players. Also medical technology is much better, injuries that could be career ending a few decades ago now are treated with routine surgery and the player is back on the court in a few months. Less serious injuries are treated in a manner of days.

JohnRuck 12-25-2012 10:48 AM

Re: Question: Are you a person who believes that...
 
I'm gonna make this short and sweet.
I feel like back in the day there were far less players as talented as there are today. Nowadays, the training knowledge and overall development of the game benefits today's players to a great degree.

With that said, I feel the more decorated, well-known players back in the day were not as great as they were made out to be because of the lack of real competition from the other members of the league. Sure some would excel in nowadays game but maybe a handful.

The NBA of our generation is full of high quality ball players and it's the guys like your Lebrons and Kobes and Durants that really should amaze you because EVERYONE in the league is talented and exceptional.

This is my opinion.

wakencdukest 12-25-2012 03:13 PM

Re: Question: Are you a person who believes that...
 
That's a loaded question. To believe one way or the other without questioning all the factors would be ignorant. The game has evolved and rules have changed drastically over the years, so it's hard to say.

I<3NBA 12-25-2012 03:26 PM

Re: Question: Are you a person who believes that...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnRuck
I'm gonna make this short and sweet.
I feel like back in the day there were far less players as talented as there are today. Nowadays, the training knowledge and overall development of the game benefits today's players to a great degree.

With that said, I feel the more decorated, well-known players back in the day were not as great as they were made out to be because of the lack of real competition from the other members of the league. Sure some would excel in nowadays game but maybe a handful.

The NBA of our generation is full of high quality ball players and it's the guys like your Lebrons and Kobes and Durants that really should amaze you because EVERYONE in the league is talented and exceptional.

This is my opinion.

:biggums:

yeah. that was short and sweet :yaohappy:

SpecialQue 12-25-2012 03:37 PM

Re: Question: Are you a person who believes that...
 
If a players like West, Wilt, Oscar, or Russell were born in the 80s and trained using modern training methods, they would be just as great now as they were then. A player like Mikan, who I admire, was very much a product of his time and probably wouldn't have as big an effect on the league now as he did then. However, the only reason why the league exists in its current state is because Mikan existed.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy