Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Should Mavs go full out tank mode for the year? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=285585)

knickballer 12-27-2012 10:54 PM

Should Mavs go full out tank mode for the year?

Mavs won't do any damage in the playoffs(if they make it) and getting a pick in the 14-20 range won't help them out. But if they can land a top 5 pick, resign Mayo, have a healthy Dirk and with that cap space they can be possibly be a contender again as well as have pieces to build around in the future.

What if they draft one of the following: Shabazz Muhammed, Cody Zeller, Noel, Len, etc
Sign one superstar they've been looking to pair Dirk with: Dwight? CP? Josh Smith and a mid-tier guy? Do they try to get Deron Williams in a sign and trade of Dwight Howard?(Is it possible?) Or do they get 3 good but not superstar players?

PG-Deron Williams
SG-Mayo
SF-Marion
PF-Dirk
C-Zeller

or

PG-Devin Harris
SG- Mayo
SF- Muhammed
PF- Dirk
C- Howard

Point is that getting a top 5 pick will help them out in the long run and in the near future. Barely squeaking in the Playoffs or finishing in 9th place won't do the Mavs any good. Tank, retool and be a dark horse for next year.

Whoah10115 12-27-2012 10:59 PM

Re: Should Mavs go full out tank mode for the year?

Cuban should trade Nowitzki...he may as well. If he's going to be so practical that he doesn't do everything he can to make them capable of winning NOW then what is the point in retiring him as a one-team man? What is Nowitzki playing for?

Hell, they may as well trade Mayo and get a pick for him.

SCdac 12-27-2012 11:00 PM

Haven't watch Harris this season, but last I saw of him in Utah he seemed almost done. Def not somebody who should be starting. Should give Collison the qualifying offer and retain him however they can (seems like a good middle ground between a role player and a star).

SCdac 12-27-2012 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whoah10115
Cuban should trade Nowitzki...he may as well

Mavs should trade Nowitzki about as much as SA should trade Duncan and LA should trade Kobe. IMO, it makes sense in a video game or something, but in reality it just doesn't.

IGotACoolStory 12-27-2012 11:02 PM

Harris? He hasn't been a good player in this decade.

Blow it up. Trade Dirk. For no reason, really. Shits and giggles?

Whoah10115 12-27-2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCdac
Mavs should trade Nowitzki about as much as SA should trade Duncan and LA should trade Kobe. IMO, it makes sense in a video game or something, but in reality it just doesn't.

You're quoting me, literally, out of context.

The Spurs didn't stop trying to win now. The Mavericks are rebuilding. They can call it reloading but it's taking two years..two years of no chance of getting back, due to personnel decisions where the championship team was discarded...all for a couple of stars who they had to wait another year for...and of whom they didn't even really pursue this past offseason.

If you wanna keep Dirk a lifelong Mav, then try to win while he's here...what other reason is he playing?

knickballer 12-27-2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCdac
Haven't watch Harris this season, but last I saw of him in Utah he seemed almost done. Def not somebody who should be starting. Should give Collison the qualifying offer and retain him however they can (seems like a good middle ground between a role player and a star).

I put Harris there as he'll probably sign on the cheap to go back to Dallas and I think he'll be fine in Dallas. Dallas probably needs a distributor at PG as neither Mayo or Collison are those players but they have to find the next best thing, plus Dallas usually prefers having defensive minded PG's. I don't know how much Collison would be getting and that may lead to less cap space being available for a FA.

But I do think they need a distributor at PG who can find Dirk off the pick, on top of the key and let Dirk do his thang.

Brook(lyn)Lopez 12-27-2012 11:08 PM

Trade Juice Mayo. If his three ain't falling, he's virtually useless as a second option.

Mr. Incredible 12-27-2012 11:10 PM

Quote:

Cuban should trade Nowitzki...he may as well. If he's going to be so practical that he doesn't do everything he can to make them capable of winning NOW then what is the point in retiring him as a one-team man? What is Nowitzki playing for?

Hell, they may as well trade Mayo and get a pick for him.

Why would anyone give up assets to get Dirk at this stage of his career?

knickballer 12-27-2012 11:11 PM

Quote:

You're quoting me, literally, out of context.

The Spurs didn't stop trying to win now. The Mavericks are rebuilding. They can call it reloading but it's taking two years..two years of no chance of getting back, due to personnel decisions where the championship team was discarded...all for a couple of stars who they had to wait another year for...and of whom they didn't even really pursue this past offseason.

If you wanna keep Dirk a lifelong Mav, then try to win while he's here...what other reason is he playing?

Mavs shouldn't trade Dirk and I don't think the Mavs will rebuild but rather retool, there's a big difference. Dirk is still a superstar and I still think he has a few seasons left of him playing at a high level ala Duncan.

Mavs have the assets to do a retool in a good squad next year if they do it correctly. They need to tank this season, land a high pick and use that cap space they've been saving up on some new players to compliment Dirk and the existing players they have. Hell they can even trade their top pick for a star like Boston did for Ray Allen years back

Plus what can the Mavs really get for Dirk? Look how bad the Magic got screwed out of Howard and they'd probably get a young "star" who's not really a star but with a big contract and that isn't the way to rebuild..

Point is the Mavs can do a Celtics like comeback for next season. It's a good thing Boston didn't rebuild and trade Pearce a few years back..

knickballer 12-27-2012 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Incredible

Dirk still has high value. Don't be fooled by his recent play as he's coming back from knee surgery. He's 34 and you have to figure he'll have a few years left considering his playing style is reliant on athleticism. At worst he'll have a Garnett type drop of production which isn't a bad thing but I don't see him being a useless player as Dirk can literally hit a shot from anywhere in the court, that fadeway ain't going away..

Many playoff teams would LOVE to have Dirk.. You don't think OKC would trade a young guy for him and pair him up with Ibaka? How ****ing nasty would thay combo be? Or LAL? NYK? Houston? Miami?

If Mavs are willing to trade Dirk almost every playoff contending team would make a move..

Whoah10115 12-27-2012 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Incredible

I'm pretty sure Dirk could help a lot of teams win a title. I'd say that's worth assets.

Whoah10115 12-27-2012 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knickballer
Mavs shouldn't trade Dirk and I don't think the Mavs will rebuild but rather retool, there's a big difference. Dirk is still a superstar and I still think he has a few seasons left of him playing at a high level ala Duncan.

Mavs have the assets to do a retool in a good squad next year if they do it correctly. They need to tank this season, land a high pick and use that cap space they've been saving up on some new players to compliment Dirk and the existing players they have. Hell they can even trade their top pick for a star like Boston did for Ray Allen years back

Plus what can the Mavs really get for Dirk? Look how bad the Magic got screwed out of Howard and they'd probably get a young "star" who's not really a star but with a big contract and that isn't the way to rebuild..

Point is the Mavs can do a Celtics like comeback for next season. It's a good thing Boston didn't rebuild and trade Pearce a few years back..

I don't think they should trade Dirk; I'm calling out what Cuban has done the last two offseasons.

Balla_Status 12-27-2012 11:19 PM

Spurs did it and got Tim Duncan. Don't see why we shouldn't.

IGOTGAME 12-27-2012 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balla_Status
Spurs did it and got Tim Duncan. Don't see why we shouldn't.

true. But this is a horrible draft class.