Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Streetball Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Passing with left hand (off-hand) (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=285805)

Jyap9675 12-30-2012 05:57 AM

Passing with left hand (off-hand)
 
Anyone practice this on their own time? It's pretty hard to practice considering you need to have another player to practice this with you. Would be good to learn the left bounce pass with my roller.

Thinking of using tennis balls against a wall, you guys got any drills for these that can be doable alone?

Burgz V2 12-30-2012 08:55 AM

Re: Passing with left hand (off-hand)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jyap9675
Anyone practice this on their own time? It's pretty hard to practice considering you need to have another player to practice this with you. Would be good to learn the left bounce pass with my roller.

Thinking of using tennis balls against a wall, you guys got any drills for these that can be doable alone?


not many coaches would drill this because one handed passes should always be avoided. The reason being if at the last second a guy goes to shoot the gap/goes for the interception, you can't change your mind. If you pass with two hands, and see it, you can stop in the middle of the pass action because you have both hands on the ball. But there are situations on fast breaks and back door cuts that they can be useful, so you have to be creative in creating drills

If you really wanna learn though, put a piece of tape (and X or a square, something big enough that you can hit) on a wall and practice how many times you can hit it consecutively. It has to be perfect, really be tough on yourself, or else there is no point doing it

If you get 5 in a row, try get 6, then 7, and so on and so on. Start close and then when you start getting into the teens and twenties, take 5 steps back. Can be done off the bounce or direct. Then when this gets easy, do it on the move, from different angles, make the piece of tape smaller

people are usually weak at passing with the off hand because they don't have the muscle memory to do it. The more reps you get, and the more of a perfectionist attitude you have towards it, the faster you will get better.

CeltsGarlic 01-13-2013 11:34 AM

Re: Passing with left hand (off-hand)
 
I managed to crazy improve my left hand to that level, that it doesnt matter which hand to do lay ups, hooks, passes is just when shooting around do everything with left hand. From jumpshots to layups - everything. And sometimes I just stand @ about 3 point line and throw passes at backboard. It works. Huge advantage, its great to hear that you wanna improve it.

SourPatchKids 01-13-2013 07:57 PM

Re: Passing with left hand (off-hand)
 
What my coach has us do at practice a few nights ago was line up across from a partner and have the ball start on one side. The person with the ball initiates the drill by passing with one hand aiming for the target his partner make's with the opposite hand. The partner smashes the ball down in a dribble to control it and then snaps it back to the first person. We do all this while sliding down the court and changing hands on the way back.

01amberfirewv 01-14-2013 10:36 AM

Re: Passing with left hand (off-hand)
 
A lot of coaches don't like one handed passes or push passes but I know when I play I almost never pick the ball up and pass with two in transition. I have my players work on passing 2 or 3 balls into a wall. Hold 1 ball in each hand, pass the ball into the wall with your left hand then take the ball from your right to your left and pass it so that it hits the wall as your catching and passing the other ball. Also have the players pass to you under the basket in layup drills and pass it back to them for the finish.

Magic bird 01-15-2013 12:04 AM

Re: Passing with left hand (off-hand)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 01amberfirewv
A lot of coaches don't like one handed passes or push passes but I know when I play I almost never pick the ball up and pass with two in transition. I have my players work on passing 2 or 3 balls into a wall. Hold 1 ball in each hand, pass the ball into the wall with your left hand then take the ball from your right to your left and pass it so that it hits the wall as your catching and passing the other ball. Also have the players pass to you under the basket in layup drills and pass it back to them for the finish.


Tennis balls? Thanks for this, reccomended it to my coach and we're running these drills in practice now :)

Fallguy20 01-15-2013 01:45 AM

Re: Passing with left hand (off-hand)
 
Just keep your right hand in your pocket and play/dribble/hoop/wall pass. As you do the other stuff your left will naturally get stronger and the passing will naturally follow.

Jyap9675 01-15-2013 04:46 AM

Re: Passing with left hand (off-hand)
 
Lol he didnt mention tennis balls, but was he referring to one? Anyway thanks boys keep em coming

01amberfirewv 01-15-2013 07:30 AM

Re: Passing with left hand (off-hand)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jyap9675
Lol he didnt mention tennis balls, but was he referring to one? Anyway thanks boys keep em coming



I'm sure you could use tennis balls but I would stick to basketballs. Here is a friend of mine doing it with two hands and 3 balls @ ~ :40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0CbNiBOcBw&safe=active


just lose a ball and a hand


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy