Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Islamic country = not a happy country? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=285887)

LamarOdom 12-31-2012 01:09 PM

Islamic country = not a happy country?

While doing this nation state draft I've been looking at some factors to what makes a country happy, I've been looking at how HDI worked and out of curiosity I checked the the top countries in that list and this how it looks.

Basically HDI is a composite statistic of life expectancy, education, and income indices

This isn't the best stat to measure such things but looking at it the first country to come up is at place 30 UAE then Brunei at 33, Qatar at 37, Bahrain at 42, so of the top 47 only 4 countries have a majority Islamic population and this isn't supposed to be a hit on Muslim people that they are stupid rather that building a successful country with Islamic values seems impossible.

If you look at literacy rate in those countries you can see some countries with 70-80% male literacy but with the females it's down to around 40 even 30% in some countries.

Life expectancy it looks the same with UAE around 30 and Brunei in the low 40s but other then them you can't find a lot of Islamic countries in the whole top 100. Infant mortality rate only three countries in top 50 (Brunei, UAE, Bahrain)

I know Christian people takes a lot of shit with it being stupid etc. but the best countries, the richest countries and continents have all been built to what they are today on Christian values.

What's your opinion about this and do you have any other measuring tools that proves or disproves what I'm saying feel free to add them

CeltsGarlic 12-31-2012 01:16 PM

Re: Islamic country = not a happy country?

Go to nation draft man! Its your pick.

Buuut I guess they have different values for being happy, as @ western world.

pauk 12-31-2012 01:17 PM

Has nothing to do with religion or "religious values"... its more like cultural values...

daily 12-31-2012 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauk
Has nothing to do with religion or "religious values"... its more like cultural values...

religion plays a huge part in cultural values in a lot of countries

LJJ 12-31-2012 01:48 PM

TaLvsCuaL 12-31-2012 02:24 PM

I think happiness is something not measurable. Also the concept of happiness is also a cultural concept, you can measure happiness based on what you think is happiness.

For example some of those countries that are high on the list, are among the countries with the highest suicide rates in the world. Why? probably because there is a lot of pressure on people since they are children, and being a loser is a major disgrace.

My experience is that you can find some of the happiest people in the world in some of the poorest places. And what makes them happy is that they do not need luxuries.

eliteballer 12-31-2012 03:12 PM

Countries in Africa and the Middle East were set back decades by colonialism. A lot of things like stability of governments and especially poor economies factor in.

MMM 12-31-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eliteballer
Countries in Africa and the Middle East were set back decades by colonialism. A lot of things like stability of governments and especially poor economies factor in.

Yea, it is not a shock that those areas are also the most war torn and have had dictators imposed on them by outside forces. There has only been a hand few of democracies in the region, Turkey, Ghana, and not many others.

Just2McFly 12-31-2012 03:17 PM

I wouldn't even post something so meaningless.

kNIOKAS 12-31-2012 03:21 PM

This is a good topic. I'm hoping to address it someday... Have to look a few things up first, I believe.

Happy New Year!

miller-time 12-31-2012 08:54 PM

It is funny though when people leave these horrible countries, only to turn around and demand that their new country start imposing laws like their old one.

magic chiongson 12-31-2012 09:17 PM

no booze, no women, can't be too happy bout that

MMM 12-31-2012 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magic chiongson
no booze, no women, can't be too happy bout that

There is plenty of booze, arabs are some of the biggest hypocrites when it comes to deen

Nash 12-31-2012 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miller-time
It is funny though when people leave these horrible countries, only to turn around and demand that their new country start imposing laws like their old one.

Who is asking for Islamic laws in western countries?

MMM 12-31-2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nash
Who is asking for Islamic laws in western countries?

About a decade ago i remember sharia law was almost brought in by Ontario but it would of been only in a partly manner.