Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Looking for basketball autograph collector named John (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=285899)

JMT 12-31-2012 04:41 PM

Looking for basketball autograph collector named John

Used to have a huge collection of basketball autos. Sold most everything a couple years ago.

Cleaning out the office and found two auto'd 8x10 color photos, both signed "To John" (that's how I got people to respond; figure you can't/won't sell a personalized piece.)

I'll mail these FREE to an auto collector named John in the USA.

The pics? Dick Vitale and David Stern :roll:

Hey, one's in the HOF and the other will soon be.

First come, first served. Both pics; not going to do two separate mailings.

Colbertnation64 12-31-2012 05:15 PM

Re: Looking for basketball autograph collector named John

DIBS

I live in Cali

Doranku 12-31-2012 05:18 PM

inb4 rape

west_tip 12-31-2012 05:41 PM

JMT - I've got a few autographs and was considering starting collecting. Aside from asking for personalization what did you find generated the best response by mail, sending an 8 x 10 or a plain letter? Sending stamps or an envelope enclosed etc? Any tips appreciated.

JMT 12-31-2012 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by west_tip
JMT - I've got a few autographs and was considering starting collecting. Aside from asking for personalization what did you find generated the best response by mail, sending an 8 x 10 or a plain letter? Sending stamps or an envelope enclosed etc? Any tips appreciated.

I usually sent a letter that made some personal reference to the person I was writing (ie why I wanted their signature). I encouraged personalization. Depending on how much I wanted the signature, I'd include pre-paid return envelopes. As the collection began to take shape, focusing on the Naismith HOF, I made contributions to the favorite charities of those I really wanted.

It was a great hobby that I really enjoyed. Recently I've been thinking about some new category I'd like to collect, whether sports or music. Always liked going after a specific group (basketball began with the All Time Top 50 list, then grew from there) and completing it. The key to enjoying it for me was having space to display everything.

chazzy 12-31-2012 06:49 PM

John here, pm me op

SpecialQue 12-31-2012 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doranku
inb4 rape

I damn near spit my coffee out when I read this.

west_tip 12-31-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT
I usually sent a letter that made some personal reference to the person I was writing (ie why I wanted their signature). I encouraged personalization. Depending on how much I wanted the signature, I'd include pre-paid return envelopes. As the collection began to take shape, focusing on the Naismith HOF, I made contributions to the favorite charities of those I really wanted.

It was a great hobby that I really enjoyed. Recently I've been thinking about some new category I'd like to collect, whether sports or music. Always liked going after a specific group (basketball began with the All Time Top 50 list, then grew from there) and completing it. The key to enjoying it for me was having space to display everything.

Thanks so much, I appreciate the advice - I will use it.