Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   A Lakers stat that might actually mean something... (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286106)

konex 01-02-2013 05:39 PM

A Lakers stat that might actually mean something...
 
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...lakers-too-old

Quote:

The Lakers' offensive efficiency can also be linked to pace, as they have been more efficient offensively with a slower pace under D’Antoni. They’ve scored more than 100 points per 100 possessions in each of their 10 games under D’Antoni with a pace of 95 or lower.

Their six most inefficient offensive performances have come in games with 96 or more possessions, while their four most efficient offensive performances have come in games with 95 or fewer possessions.

Quote:

Lakers Record by Possessions With Mike D’Antoni as Head Coach

100+ 2-6
96-99 0-3
95 or less 8-2

I want to know what the NBA average is and what we did last year under Mike Brown before I buy into this. Anyone have those numbers?

I do think we play way too fast for most of our roster though..

DonDadda59 01-02-2013 05:44 PM

Re: A Lakers stat that might actually mean something...
 
I don't have the stats, but it's clear D'Antoni was a horrible decision by the Lakers front office. This team is clearly made for half court sets and not the uptempo, run-n-gun, 7 seconds or less D'Antoni system.

konex 01-02-2013 05:48 PM

Re: A Lakers stat that might actually mean something...
 
I would guess that Kobe and Dwight take the most shots in a slow-paced game. This run and gun crap ends up with guys like Metta taking too many shots

DonDadda59 01-02-2013 05:51 PM

Re: A Lakers stat that might actually mean something...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by konex
I would guess that Kobe and Dwight take the most shots in a slow-paced game. This run and gun crap ends up with guys like Metta taking too many shots


Also hurts their defense. They expend too much energy on taking bad shots. If the game was slowed down and they had some semblance of a half court game, the Lakers would be a tough team to beat. Right now, their record reflects what they are as a team.

ispin69 01-02-2013 06:40 PM

Re: A Lakers stat that might actually mean something...
 
Old players get tired from a running offense? No way.
And it shows on the defensive end too. This is a train wreck.

General 01-02-2013 06:44 PM

Re: A Lakers stat that might actually mean something...
 
Still can't believe they chose D'Antoni over Phil Jackson:roll:

tmacattack33 01-02-2013 06:54 PM

Re: A Lakers stat that might actually mean something...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DonDadda59
I don't have the stats, but it's clear D'Antoni was a horrible decision by the Lakers front office. This team is clearly made for half court sets and not the uptempo, run-n-gun, 7 seconds or less D'Antoni system.


7 seconds or less is the dumbest thing i've ever heard of. If you are given 24 seconds to find the best shot, go ahead and use 23.9 of it if you have to.

Can someone explain the point of 7 seconds or less? Is it to wear out the defense? That would be true if his system was about running, but it would still be best to slow down if you aren't able to beat the defense down the court for a fast-break and they are already set. But it doesn't seem that that's what D'Antonio tells his people do to...it seems its just 7 seconds or less, fast-break or not.

konex 01-02-2013 07:04 PM

Re: A Lakers stat that might actually mean something...
 
Quote:

Can someone explain the point of 7 seconds or less? Is it to wear out the defense? That would be true if his system was about running, but it would still be best to slow down if you aren't able to beat the defense down the court for a fast-break and they are already set. But it doesn't seem that that's what D'Antonio tells his people do to...it seems its just 7 seconds or less, fast-break or not.

If you have superior scoring ability, it's defensible. Remember how those Suns teams would overwhelm opponents with an early barrage of 3s. If you believe your offense is so strong that it'd still be efficient at any pace, why not give them more shots than they'd normally have?

That philosophy with this Lakers team is beyond idiotic...

Kiddlovesnets 01-02-2013 07:15 PM

Re: A Lakers stat that might actually mean something...
 
It will take a while for people to realize that coaching isnt the problem for Lakers.

Haymaker 01-02-2013 07:17 PM

Re: A Lakers stat that might actually mean something...
 
What's people's obsession with that Phoenix Suns team? Yeah, they were exciting but they were clearly a regular season team. And it was Nash doing his magic that had them winning, not the system.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy