Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Which QB's Legacy would benefit the most from winning a ring (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286153)

jazz873 01-03-2013 12:22 AM

Which QB's Legacy would benefit the most from winning a ring

Aaron Rodgers
Christian ponder
Tom brady
Peyton manning
Russell Wilson
RG3
Matt Shaub
Joe flacco
Colin kaepernick
Andy dalton
Andrew luck
Matt Ryan

-p.tiddy- 01-03-2013 12:53 AM

Re: Which QB's Legacy would benefit the most from winning a ring

In the entire NFL? Romo

Of those you listed? I think Schaub or Flacco, both QBs are looked down on now and a ring would change all that.

Tarik One 01-03-2013 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazz873
Aaron Rodgers
Christian ponder
Tom brady
Peyton manning
Russell Wilson
RG3
Matt Shaub
Joe flacco
Colin kaepernick
Andy dalton
Andrew luck
Matt Ryan

I don't believe legacy is the right word for most of these qbs because they are still mostly new in the NFL and have many years to make names for themselves. If you we're to compare qbs who are in later stages of their careers, that would be more reasonable.

tpols 01-03-2013 01:12 AM

Out of that list matt Ryan easily.

Schaub and flacco aren't elite period. If their teams win it will be the defense and running games that did it. And if they somehow do do great it will be a fluke.

Brady and Rodgers are already established.. And the rest are Rooks, basically blank slates.

Matt Ryan has been elite in the regular season but yet to follow through in the playoffs. He can either be a Rodgers or a romo. One more failure in the playoffs and we all know what pat he's headed down.

jazz873 01-03-2013 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
In the entire NFL? Romo

Of those you listed? I think Schaub or Flacco, both QBs are looked down on now and a ring would change all that.

Its every qb in the playoffs right now

mlh1981 01-03-2013 09:53 AM

In a league where Trent dilfer/brad Johnson won rings, and Dan Marino didn't, I have always felt this was an overblown subject. Some guys have really good support around them, and others cannot overcome organizational ineptitude.

With that said, I think it would behoove Peyton manning to win another ring. He'd still have one less than Brady, but unlike Brady, he would have managed to win titles with 2 different organizations. Something to be said for that.

Real Men Wear Green 01-03-2013 10:08 AM

Aaron Rodgers: Enters the "Greatest QB ever?" debate at a relatively young age.
Christian Ponder: Establishes himself as the Vikings' QB long-term. Currently the jury is still out.
Tom Brady: Has a weak GOAT QB argument. Another SB ring gives him a strong argument.
Peyton Manning: Same as Brady
Russell Wilson: Would...make a ton of money off the field. Not enough to make him considered "elite" but he would cement himself as the Seahawk QB even with a few years of struggling afterward.
RG3: Would become the top marketing star in the NFL. He could be seen as elite but it's hard to give a guy that status after one year.
Matt Shaub: Possibly the least-known good QB, a SB makes him a superstar.
Joe Flacco: He currently needs some vindication and this would give him that. Still not elite but he'd get to be the Ravens' QB his whole career.
Colin Kaepernick: No one would mention Alex Smith in SF again.
Andy Dalton: Same as Wilson
Andrew Luck: Same as Griffin
Matt Ryan: Career enters an HOF trajectory.

Carbine 01-03-2013 10:18 AM

Peyton Manning & Brady. They're playing for GOAT status amongst media, which is more than any other QB is playing for.

AboveTheRim. 01-03-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
Aaron Rodgers: Enters the "Greatest QB ever?" debate at a relatively young age.
Christian Ponder: Establishes himself as the Vikings' QB long-term. Currently the jury is still out.
Tom Brady: Has a weak GOAT QB argument. Another SB ring gives him a strong argument.
Peyton Manning: Same as Brady
Russell Wilson: Would...make a ton of money off the field. Not enough to make him considered "elite" but he would cement himself as the Seahawk QB even with a few years of struggling afterward.
RG3: Would become the top marketing star in the NFL. He could be seen as elite but it's hard to give a guy that status after one year.
Matt Shaub: Possibly the least-known good QB, a SB makes him a superstar.
Joe Flacco: He currently needs some vindication and this would give him that. Still not elite but he'd get to be the Ravens' QB his whole career.
Colin Kaepernick: No one would mention Alex Smith in SF again.
Andy Dalton: Same as Wilson
Andrew Luck: Same as Griffin
Matt Ryan: Career enters an HOF trajectory.

Agreed with pretty much everything other than the Matt Ryan statement. This year has been his best by far. To even consider HOF trajectory, he would have to not regress at all from this year, and I don't really see that happening.

imdaman99 01-03-2013 12:30 PM

probably matt ryan. as it stands, he has bombed in 2 straight playoff games while being good in the regular season. eli also started 0-2.

we know peyton and brady are who they are, mvp candidates every year. maybe peyton enters GOAT status with another.

im not gonna like it if one of the rookies win it. ill include ponder, dalton and kap in here with the other 3.

rodgers is already on pace to become the GOAT if he were to win, schaub and flacco would cement themselves as franchise QBs.

Jailblazers7 01-03-2013 01:07 PM

I think other than A-Rod, Brady, and Peyton winning a ring would only be a starting point at a chance of even having a legacy for all those QBs.

I agree with RMWG about those top 3 tho. Brady and Peyton solidfy their GOAT arguments and Rodgers sets himself up for a chance to be considered the uncontested GOAT at the end of his career.

irondarts 01-03-2013 01:12 PM

Peyton no doubt needs another ring.

-p.tiddy- 01-03-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlh1981
In a league where Trent dilfer/brad Johnson won rings, and Dan Marino didn't, I have always felt this was an overblown subject. Some guys have really good support around them, and others cannot overcome organizational ineptitude.

With that said, I think it would behoove Peyton manning to win another ring. He'd still have one less than Brady, but unlike Brady, he would have managed to win titles with 2 different organizations. Something to be said for that.

it is the single most overblown thing in all of sports IMO

it never really got under my skin until this year for some reason...in the NFL "rings" are a legit QB stat which is just stupidity for a sport with 53 man rosters. In the NBA it makes more sense with small teams led by 1-3 stars, but even in the NBA it shouldn't be used as any kind of gauge.

it drives me nuts because it isn't just kids and casual fans using "TEAM WINS" to rank players, it is also most of the media pumping this nonsense.

I hope one day people stop this...but I doubt it

jazz873 01-03-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
it is the single most overblown thing in all of sports IMO

it never really got under my skin until this year for some reason...in the NFL "rings" are a legit QB stat which is just stupidity for a sport with 53 man rosters. In the NBA it makes more sense with small teams led by 1-3 stars, but even in the NBA it shouldn't be used as any kind of gauge.

it drives me nuts because it isn't just kids and casual fans using "TEAM WINS" to rank players, it is also most of the media pumping this nonsense.

I hope one day people stop this...but I doubt it

Yeah i feel ya. So say Brady makes the superbowl and loses another one. Do you hold that against his legacy?

Timmy D for MVP 01-03-2013 02:37 PM

Of those in the playoffs? Alex Smith. I want it to happen so bad!

Uhh but of those you listed I think it's easily Matty Ice. Someone mentioned it earlier that with a ring he's starting to enter HoF territory if the rest of his career plays out well. He's been a dud thus far in the playoffs, a ring would really push him over the top.