Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Supply and demand question about drugs. (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286608)

longhornfan1234 01-07-2013 12:40 PM

Supply and demand question about drugs.

If the purchase and sale of a currently illegal drug, such as weed, were decriminalized, we would expect:

A. an increase in demand and supply of this drug.

B. an increase in demand and a decrease in supply of this drug.

C. a decrease in demand and an increase in supply of this drug.

D. a decrease in demand and supply of this drug.

kNIOKAS 01-07-2013 12:56 PM

Re: Supply and demand question about drugs.

I find it to be a good question. I'd say in the short run the market would go through all the mentioned stages, and in a long run... I don't know, probably it would settle to be C, comparing to current, illegal business' state.

How about advertising drugs? :eek: That would get banned, you can guarantee, but would there be illegal marketing, recruiting and effort to get more clientel?

heyhey 01-07-2013 01:01 PM

I think it's got to be A)

most people I know that don't smoke when asked why respond with it's illegal.

Stuckey 01-07-2013 01:16 PM

A but I know very little about economics

Pushxx 01-07-2013 01:26 PM

Supply would undoubtedly increase, at least initially.

I don't know about demand, though I assume that with the exception of weed, drug usage would die down with the end of the federal drug war.

CeltsGarlic 01-07-2013 01:30 PM

A. Fact.

Sarcastic 01-07-2013 01:47 PM

It would be A, a increase in supply and demand. I think the supply would actually move more, as people would start growing their own weed. Demand would rise slightly, but I don't think non weed smokers would all the sudden decide to become smokers. The increase in demand would mostly come from the people who already smoke. For instance, I don't smoke weed, nor would I if it became legal.

Burgz V2 01-07-2013 01:55 PM

it depends where you are.

For instance I live in Canada, and decriminalizing weed would not necessarily increase the demand for weed, because it is already so ridiculously easy to get it. Nobody here says, "I smoke weed because its illegal" people dont smoke weed because they dont want to, at least where I'm at.

If anything, A. Probably be an increase in demand due to the increased amount consumed by those who already smoke. the demand part is tricker because little can be assumed about the producer's habits in the market. Will stores sell it? Will they continue to allow street sellers to sell it etc. However, considering the amount of people who smoke (especially here in Canada) I think the smart thing to do would be to increase the supply in order to capitalize on a market that is now legally accessible

Jailblazers7 01-07-2013 03:29 PM

Most likely A but the government can always implement a sin tax in order to curb the increase in demand while simultaneously raising revenue.

miller-time 01-07-2013 06:34 PM

A but I don't think demand would go up ridiculously.

Myth 01-07-2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heyhey
I think it's got to be A)

most people I know that don't smoke when asked why respond with it's illegal.

This is what stopped me. Tried weed for the first time only recently.

Myth 01-07-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miller-time
A but I don't think demand would go up ridiculously.

I agree, but it will be much easier to obtain for those who want to use it excessively (same with gun control, which is really your agenda, isn't it OP?).

The Real JW 01-07-2013 09:07 PM

Reminds me of my micro econ course.. or was it macro

Disliked both.

lilbeastnani 01-07-2013 09:14 PM

Immediately demand would go up but then it would probably level out due to the fact that it's no longer an illegal commodity.

miller-time 01-07-2013 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myth
I agree, but it will be much easier to obtain for those who want to use it excessively (same with gun control, which is really your agenda, isn't it OP?).

I also think legalization for marijuana would decrease the demand in alcohol too. Which might end up being a good thing.