Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hornets Last Two Games (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286942)

KG215 01-10-2013 12:30 AM

Hornets Last Two Games
 
Where'd this defense come from? Or was it just a night where both of their opponents went cold and missed a lot of open shots? I didn't see a minute of either game, so I'm curious.

Against two of the three best offenses in the league no less. Held the Rockets to 79 points and 40% shooting tonight in an 88-79 win; and held the Spurs to 88 points on 45% shooting last night in a 95-88 win. Back-to-back wins over two of the most lethal offenses in the league, allowing just 83.5 PPG on 43% shooting.

PJR 01-10-2013 12:31 AM

Re: Hornets Last Two Games
 
Monty Williams is one the good young coaches in the league.

KG215 01-10-2013 12:38 AM

Re: Hornets Last Two Games
 
I really like Monty Williams. But was the Hornets defense that good the last two games? Or was it a combination of good defense and Houston and San Antonio having cold shooting games?

fpliii 01-10-2013 12:42 AM

Re: Hornets Last Two Games
 
I haven't watched much of NO, but do you think we can credit AD? His +/- numbers and minutes haven't been great the past two nights (given they're shafty measures of individual D; they're superb for lineup optimization though), but I don't have any other way to judge him without having watched the games. If he has looked good, maybe he's on his way to becoming the next great defensive anchor in the league.

clipse026 01-10-2013 12:46 AM

Re: Hornets Last Two Games
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by KG215
I really like Monty Williams. But was the Hornets defense that good the last two games? Or was it a combination of good defense and Houston and San Antonio having cold shooting games?

Al-Farouq is back in the lineup and Jason Smith is healthy. Both of them are playing really well and Davis has actually been on the bench late in games because he's been making some mistakes. It helps that Vasquez is a 6'6 PG even if he's not a great defender.

pnyozzzoo 01-10-2013 12:46 AM

Re: Hornets Last Two Games
 
I said like last month Hornets is a good team real soon

5. Lopez is average to above average center hustles get boards plays d set pick and has a ok jumper.
4. Davis can be a star to super star and defense is always nice, esp he is good D vs small guys, Good D vs small guys is more valuable than good D against big guys these days.
3.Ryan Anderson is a baller, most people think he is a 3pt specialist, but dude can ball, put on the floor, rebound some and defend. If used right can give you star production while not being a star type player.
2. Eric Gordon is back and nowadays 2 is a dead position if he can get back his form he is one of the top ones.
1. Vasqeus is a Baller. A rare offset PG. 6'6 can shoot it well while being able to see the floor. He plays different than most PG like a Calderon with more potential and some post and iso moves.

Get the bench some meat and get rid of Rivers and their good Coach should stop sucking up to his dad, you will not be fired and even if you do, you not gonna get a job from Celtics. God kid is awful and will not go to the D league.

This team can play D from all position, and well coached and can execute. In a year or 2 they gonna be a good team in the league. Brighter than Cav, Kings, Detriot , toronto out of all rebuilding team.

Kiddlovesnets 01-10-2013 01:00 AM

Re: Hornets Last Two Games
 
Davis only played 19min, a nonfactor of this recent win. No idea why he wouldnt get more minutes though, since he definitely should.

pnyozzzoo 01-10-2013 01:04 AM

Re: Hornets Last Two Games
 
I am saying for the future, now Amino, and Smith are balling.

And the strange thing is their coach says they don't play feature ball, everyone play in the flow and earn their minutes. While this shit does not apply to Mr. wonder boy Rivers... is Doc rivers really that influential in the nba?

KG215 01-10-2013 01:06 AM

Re: Hornets Last Two Games
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fpliii
I haven't watched much of NO, but do you think we can credit AD? His +/- numbers and minutes haven't been great the past two nights (given they're shafty measures of individual D; they're superb for lineup optimization though), but I don't have any other way to judge him without having watched the games. If he has looked good, maybe he's on his way to becoming the next great defensive anchor in the league.

That's part of the reason I started this thread. I kind of wanted to know how much of an impact Davis had in the two games. Then I saw his minutes, so I didn't mention it.

I'm kind of itching for another great defensive anchor. I think if Howard gets back to 100%, he can be one for another 5 years or so, but it'd be nice to have another young frontcourt player with defensive anchor potential. Do you think Ibaka has that sort of potential? He's still got a ways to go to get there, but I've been impressed with how much more disciplined he's been this year. He's staying on the floor and not biting for head-fakes as often, and his positional defense has been better than ever before; and of course he's one of the best rim protectors in the league at just 23. I just don't think he can ever get to an "all-time great" level as an anchor.

I think Davis has the instincts and tools to get there, but he's got to get a lot stronger.

anthonyRandolph 01-10-2013 01:08 AM

Re: Hornets Last Two Games
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiddlovesnets
Davis only played 19min, a nonfactor of this recent win. No idea why he wouldnt get more minutes though, since he definitely should.

I disagree, the guy who we sat in for Davis was the hot hand tonight and we rode it. Jason Smith had 17 and 10, I'm as big of a Davis fan as anyone but I love Monty riding the hot hand. Also standing by my statement of Hornets are a playoff team with Gordon in the line up. Having to play Rivers 25+ minutes a game was a killer.

Davis has been terrific on defense lately, early in the season he seemed timid, scared to get dunked on. Let a lot of players go, not only is he blocking shots and getting steals now but he's also drawing charges, he makes a difference on the court.

Also the Eric Gordon effect on defense now allows us to start Aminu giving us length on the defensive end Aminu has a piss poor jumper, but he's as athletic as they come great Rebounder limiting 2nd chances and good defender. Aminu was in the dog house but for some reason playing along EG brings out the best in him.

b0bab0i 01-10-2013 01:08 AM

Re: Hornets Last Two Games
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fpliii
I haven't watched much of NO, but do you think we can credit AD? His +/- numbers and minutes haven't been great the past two nights (given they're shafty measures of individual D; they're superb for lineup optimization though), but I don't have any other way to judge him without having watched the games. If he has looked good, maybe he's on his way to becoming the next great defensive anchor in the league.


Eric Gordon

pnyozzzoo 01-10-2013 01:16 AM

Re: Hornets Last Two Games
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonyRandolph
I disagree, the guy who we sat in for Davis was the hot hand tonight and we rode it. Jason Smith had 17 and 10, I'm as big of a Davis fan as anyone but I love Monty riding the hot hand. Also standing by my statement of Hornets are a playoff team with Gordon in the line up. Having to play Rivers 25+ minutes a game was a killer.

Monty should man up and tell Rivers to go to D league. ***** is terrible at everything and have attitude problem.
No Fking body in the league shots 33% while avging less than 7 pts and play more than 26 minutes. While cannot do anything else beside trying to defend and occasionally draw foul. And guess what his confidence and attitude are so weak and shitty now he broke his Free throw too, he now goes 1-4, 2-6 on free throw, from 70% to now 56% FT for a supposed shooter. He will soon be a Hack-a-Rivers. lol.

anthonyRandolph 01-10-2013 01:31 AM

Re: Hornets Last Two Games
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pnyozzzoo
Monty should man up and tell Rivers to go to D league. ***** is terrible at everything and have attitude problem.
No Fking body in the league shots 33% while avging less than 7 pts and play more than 26 minutes. While cannot do anything else beside trying to defend and occasionally draw foul. And guess what his confidence and attitude are so weak and shitty now he broke his Free throw too, he now goes 1-4, 2-6 on free throw, from 70% to now 56% FT for a supposed shooter. He will soon be a Hack-a-Rivers. lol.


Don't put it beyond Monty, that may kill his confidence though. Monty knows what he's doing, but it wouldn't shock me to see Rivers there this year, I think he should go down for about 2-3 weeks.

hon 01-10-2013 02:04 AM

Re: Hornets Last Two Games
 



Eric Gordon is a serious factor...

Most likely the Hornets will not be last in the Western Conference by year's end...


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy