Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   New York Knicks Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Melo's diet (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287237)

franchize 01-13-2013 08:27 PM

Melo's diet

So Melo's energy has clearly been up and down lately. Oddly enough, I read today that he's been fasting for about 2 weeks. He says it was for spiritual reasons. I thought it was strange so I looked more into it. Turns out, he did the same thing in Denver around the time of all that trade talk drama. Thankfully, he said he couldn't take it anymore and he is promptly going to get a steak after today's game lol

knickscity 01-13-2013 11:17 PM

Re: Melo's diet

It might have been timed to start right after the anniversary of his sister passing.

I think she passed just before Christmas.

I heard about him doing this before, it's not a conventional fast, it's certain things he's refraining from mainly the foods he likes the most.

Scoooter 01-13-2013 11:42 PM

I've recently gotten into almond butter in a big way.

Clutch 01-14-2013 06:15 AM

This thread reminded me that I should go on a diet too. :lol

franchize 01-14-2013 10:35 AM

He stopped eating meat AND carbs. Not good. Gotta get that protein.

bluechox2 01-14-2013 10:38 AM

i think this wud do melo more good in the long run, props for him though to manage it this long

Rameek 01-14-2013 03:36 PM

Interesting this fast and the death of the relative isnt equated. Unless someone documents that this is why he did it. His other diet and this fast werent any spiritual awareness as far as I've seen. You do any all that BS in the offseason. Once this BS was documented I wanted to wait and see the purpose Ramadan or some Church fast. I dont even know what he fasted from. Anyone has documentation of what he didnt eat or assuming?

This is just unprofessional and a crock of BS. You receive a large paycheck to perform and you need to make that a top priority. This needs to be another clause in contracts.

knickscity 01-14-2013 05:06 PM

And yall think I'm tough on melo.....

Rameek 01-14-2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knickscity
And yall think I'm tough on melo.....

How am I being hard on him? Your best player makes a decision not to be at his best because he felt like going on a die or fasting?

This is ok with others not me!

Clutch 01-15-2013 02:42 AM

If it has something to do with his sister's death then I can understand it.

But if it's because of no specific reason that's just idiotic and unprofessional.

franchize 01-15-2013 10:14 AM

All things SPIRITUAL don't necessarily deal with religion. I think people forget these guys have lives outside of winning basketball games for us. Maybe it was a method of self therapy. Maybe the rumors of his marraige being rocky right now are true. Who knows? Who knows what inner demons he may be trying to exercise.

He said he was going in the interview that he was going through some deep stuff and he usually does it to clear his mind and body. As someone who used to suffer from depression personally, while I wouldn' jeopardize my career, I will say sometimes you reach a point where you're grasping at straws for solutions

Rameek 01-16-2013 12:14 AM

I dont think spirituality is in question do what you must. If you have issues see a psychologist. IMHO you should do nothing physically that can hinder your performance. Thats why you cant sky dive, ride motorcycles etc etc.... what you eat comes into play as well.

franchize 01-16-2013 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rameek
I dont think spirituality is in question do what you must. If you have issues see a psychologist. IMHO you should do nothing physically that can hinder your performance. Thats why you cant sky dive, ride motorcycles etc etc.... what you eat comes into play as well.

I dont dispute that. But thats easier said than done. Most men, especially black men, are too proud to see a psychiatrist or psychologist. For a guy, who has been victim to countless unproven rumors since he got here, you think he wants to invite the media frenzy that will ensue if he sits down with a doctor? Once again, not saying he shouldnt co it, but I can see why someone in his position wouldnt want to. Most ppl think sitting down with a doc means youre either severely depressed or crazy.

Rameek 01-16-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franchize
I dont dispute that. But thats easier said than done. Most men, especially black men, are too proud to see a psychiatrist or psychologist. For a guy, who has been victim to countless unproven rumors since he got here, you think he wants to invite the media frenzy that will ensue if he sits down with a doctor? Once again, not saying he shouldnt co it, but I can see why someone in his position wouldnt want to. Most ppl think sitting down with a doc means youre either severely depressed or crazy.

IMHO I have no issues with spirituality its not for any person to decide how you carry out that spirituality. Any athlete can do what they need to do maintain their balance in life. Whether its a psychologist or psychiatrist a bestie, minister, parent, anyone else to help.

WITH THAT SAID NOTHING CAN COME AT THE EXPENSE OF YOUR PERFORMANCE ON THE COURT! (regardless of sport).

we can disagree though.

knickscity 01-16-2013 01:53 PM

Wow.