Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Alvin Gentry and the Suns agree to part ways (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287709)

Levity 01-18-2013 01:14 PM

Alvin Gentry and the Suns agree to part ways
 
The Phoenix Suns and Alvin Gentry have mutually agreed to part ways after his five-plus seasons as head coach, the club announced today. An interim coach will be named in the next 24-48 hours.

Gentry was named Phoenix’s interim head coach in Feb. 2009, and named the 14th head coach in franchise history on May 9, 2009.

Read more: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=12119

-----

Sun fans, is this a change you've guys wanted for a while now? Or were you happy with Gentry running the show?

PJR 01-18-2013 01:16 PM

Re: Alvin Gentry and the Suns agree to part ways
 
He'll be an assistant for the Lakers next year.

wagexslave 01-18-2013 01:22 PM

Re: Alvin Gentry and the Suns agree to part ways
 
OMG YES!

BEEN WAITING ALL THE PAST 2 SEASONS!

Knew it was coming soon.

wagexslave 01-18-2013 01:33 PM

Re: Alvin Gentry and the Suns agree to part ways
 
He's a good coach for a team that has a lot of mature players and veteran leadership within the player roster, as he seems to let veteran leader players have more control over what happens on the court than most coaches. Like... he was the perfect coach for a Steve Nash led team, because he let Steve practically be the co-coach of the team. But for a young team with chemistry issues that's struggling to find an identity, he just doesn't have the command and dicipline to keep the players in check and working to their strengths. He is also often a poor decision maker in the clutch, often letting other teams make 10-0+ runs on the Suns before calling a time-out to try to ease the pain.

imdaman99 01-18-2013 01:33 PM

Re: Alvin Gentry and the Suns agree to part ways
 
i thought he was a good coach, just didnt have the players or the culture :confusedshrug:

Levity 01-18-2013 01:38 PM

Re: Alvin Gentry and the Suns agree to part ways
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by wagexslave
He's a good coach for a team that has a lot of mature players and veteran leadership within the player roster, as he seems to let veteran leader players have more control over what happens on the court than most coaches. Like... he was the perfect coach for a Steve Nash led team, because he let Steve practically be the co-coach of the team. But for a young team with chemistry issues that's struggling to find an identity, he just doesn't have the command and dicipline to keep the players in check and working to their strengths. He is also often a poor decision maker in the clutch, often letting other teams make 10-0+ runs on the Suns before calling a time-out to try to ease the pain.


Thanks for the insight. :cheers:

how did you like gentrys rotations? starting dudley at the 2 with tucker at the 3 and beasely pretty much falling out of the line up, at least until dudley was out for a couple games

would you like to see the recent starting 5 stay intact? dragic, dudley, tucker, scola, gortat.
or do you think a switch up is in order? move brown back into the starting 5? or morris? etc.

wagexslave 01-18-2013 02:37 PM

Re: Alvin Gentry and the Suns agree to part ways
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Levity
Thanks for the insight. :cheers:

how did you like gentrys rotations? starting dudley at the 2 with tucker at the 3 and beasely pretty much falling out of the line up, at least until dudley was out for a couple games

would you like to see the recent starting 5 stay intact? dragic, dudley, tucker, scola, gortat.
or do you think a switch up is in order? move brown back into the starting 5? or morris? etc.

I would like to see that starting 5 stay intact until trades can be made and we can try something different. Or, TBQH, I wouldn't mind at some point in the season, trying a "big ball" starting lineup with Dragic, Tucker, Scola, Morris, Gortat in the starting 5 and let Kendall Marshall get development minutes off the bench in a rotation with Telfair at SG, Dudley at SF, Luke Zeller at PF, and J O'Neal at C.

Just a little experimental lineup to try to see how players adapt to different roles, and to get the young developmental players some extra minutes. You could argue that our jumpshooting would be terrible in the starting lineup, but isn't it already terrible as it is? Going full on big could at least create some matchup problems, and being able to get Morris consistent starting time without the cost of Scola's minutes would be nice.

Of course Beasley and Brown would fit somewhere into this lineup, but where in that lineup would be ultimately up to them. Whether they're starting, 2nd string, or garbage minutes is going to really rely on how they produce when they get their chances. I think these are the types of players that need a fire lit under them in order to get the most effort out of them. Gentry just let them chuck and miss so much that they've gotten used to it and don't care anymore. Neither are very smart, so they need a coach to be smart for them and show them the way.

Cut off their minutes almost completely at first, but tell Beasley he can earn more and more just by showing 100% effort every minute he's on the court(worry about his shooting numbers later) and tell Brown he can earn more and more by showing he can pass the ball and actually have a better shot selection rather than chucking it every time it's passed to him. I think it will be good for both of them. Give them an opportunity to earn bigger roles on the team just by gradually rewarding them with minutes the more they fix their chronic mistakes, and cut back on the rewarding when they fall back into their old habits.

I hope our next coach can implement some kind of disciplinary reward/punishment system for players like this who have terrible habits out on the court. Sometimes I think that's the only way to get people to change their bad habits is to give them an ultimatum.

Whoah10115 01-18-2013 02:43 PM

Re: Alvin Gentry and the Suns agree to part ways
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by wagexslave
He's a good coach for a team that has a lot of mature players and veteran leadership within the player roster, as he seems to let veteran leader players have more control over what happens on the court than most coaches. Like... he was the perfect coach for a Steve Nash led team, because he let Steve practically be the co-coach of the team. But for a young team with chemistry issues that's struggling to find an identity, he just doesn't have the command and dicipline to keep the players in check and working to their strengths. He is also often a poor decision maker in the clutch, often letting other teams make 10-0+ runs on the Suns before calling a time-out to try to ease the pain.



I would agree.

longtime lurker 01-18-2013 02:45 PM

Re: Alvin Gentry and the Suns agree to part ways
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by wagexslave
He's a good coach for a team that has a lot of mature players and veteran leadership within the player roster, as he seems to let veteran leader players have more control over what happens on the court than most coaches. Like... he was the perfect coach for a Steve Nash led team, because he let Steve practically be the co-coach of the team. But for a young team with chemistry issues that's struggling to find an identity, he just doesn't have the command and dicipline to keep the players in check and working to their strengths. He is also often a poor decision maker in the clutch, often letting other teams make 10-0+ runs on the Suns before calling a time-out to try to ease the pain.


Good insight. What does this mean for Goran Dragic? (Have him on my fantasy team)

wagexslave 01-18-2013 03:19 PM

Re: Alvin Gentry and the Suns agree to part ways
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by longtime lurker
Good insight. What does this mean for Goran Dragic? (Have him on my fantasy team)

I think having a motivated new head coach like Dan Majerle(who I expect the Suns to hire as interim head coach) might do wonders for Dragic and inject some new confidence in him. Dragic NEEDS to be the leader of this team. Dragic seeing Majerle step up and grab a hold of the team and assert himself as the new coach leadership role could possibly be an influence on Dragic to do the same and step up asserting himself as the leader of his teammates. If he does, I expect him to focus on playmaking more(rather than passing it to defended teammates and letting them do what they want with it), especially late in game. As I said before, Gentry was terrible late in games. The offense he would have the team run was sad. Maybe with a new coach would come new and improved clutch playcalling and thus more assists per game? That would be nice.

But even better would be if the new coach had confidence in Dragic himself to put the ball in the hoop late in games. Because he's shown some quite AMAZING flashes of being clutch in the past.(Destroyed San Antonio in the 4th quarter of the playoffs... one of the most dominant clutch playoff performances I can remember, dagger after dagger) I think Gentry has really under-utilized him as a scorer this season. He's capable of doings some amazing things. Hopefully the new coach will trust him to be that "go-to" guy more often and it could result in more PPG.

Just gotta hope for the best though. Dragic is probably my favorite player on the team right now(although Tucker has became a favorite of mine too this year with his hustle), and I do believe he will continue to grow into this leadership role and start to put up some bigger numbers as the year goes on. Only time will tell though I suppose.

Kurosawa0 01-18-2013 03:49 PM

Re: Alvin Gentry and the Suns agree to part ways
 
You could argue he did a better job with that 2010 Suns team than any of the D'Antoni teams throughout the SSOL era. Brooklyn outta put him on the list this summer.

Kiddlovesnets 01-18-2013 03:53 PM

Re: Alvin Gentry and the Suns agree to part ways
 
Wow... Tbh I am a bit shocked by this, the Suns aint really going anywhere so whats the point of firing your head coach? The Wizards and Bobcats are still keeping their coaches.

longtime lurker 01-18-2013 04:25 PM

Re: Alvin Gentry and the Suns agree to part ways
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by wagexslave
I think having a motivated new head coach like Dan Majerle(who I expect the Suns to hire as interim head coach) might do wonders for Dragic and inject some new confidence in him. Dragic NEEDS to be the leader of this team. Dragic seeing Majerle step up and grab a hold of the team and assert himself as the new coach leadership role could possibly be an influence on Dragic to do the same and step up asserting himself as the leader of his teammates. If he does, I expect him to focus on playmaking more(rather than passing it to defended teammates and letting them do what they want with it), especially late in game. As I said before, Gentry was terrible late in games. The offense he would have the team run was sad. Maybe with a new coach would come new and improved clutch playcalling and thus more assists per game? That would be nice.

But even better would be if the new coach had confidence in Dragic himself to put the ball in the hoop late in games. Because he's shown some quite AMAZING flashes of being clutch in the past.(Destroyed San Antonio in the 4th quarter of the playoffs... one of the most dominant clutch playoff performances I can remember, dagger after dagger) I think Gentry has really under-utilized him as a scorer this season. He's capable of doings some amazing things. Hopefully the new coach will trust him to be that "go-to" guy more often and it could result in more PPG.

Just gotta hope for the best though. Dragic is probably my favorite player on the team right now(although Tucker has became a favorite of mine too this year with his hustle), and I do believe he will continue to grow into this leadership role and start to put up some bigger numbers as the year goes on. Only time will tell though I suppose.


Man the Suns have been confusing you know I thought Dragic would be a Steve Nash lite(obviously not as good) but it's baffling that a head coach wouldn't give him full control of the offense and just let him do his thing. The Suns have some good system players like Dudley, Gortat, Scola.

wagexslave 01-19-2013 05:24 AM

Re: Alvin Gentry and the Suns agree to part ways
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by longtime lurker
Man the Suns have been confusing you know I thought Dragic would be a Steve Nash lite(obviously not as good) but it's baffling that a head coach wouldn't give him full control of the offense and just let him do his thing. The Suns have some good system players like Dudley, Gortat, Scola.

Yeah I do feel like Dragic might be close to as good as Steve some day, but it will take more time, developing, and maturing. Steve didn't become an MVP caliber player overnight. He had to grow up and learn to be a leader and got better and better with age and maturing. I see Dragic as that same kind of player... he shows some flashes of amazing, but just needs to grow into that leader role. It might take a while before he really starts to flourish.

And they do have some good role players for sure, but not having a go-to scorer really kills them lately. They desperately need to make a trade for someone who can score 20+ ppg(good efficient shooting) on a regular basis. Or they need to make more moves during free agency. Or PRAY that they find a gem in the draft. Whatever the case is, they need a legit go-to scorer.

Magic bird 01-19-2013 05:26 AM

Re: Alvin Gentry and the Suns agree to part ways
 
Dang, he was not that bad of a coach, just not the right team for him?


SUNS fans


What coach are you hoping will be the next HC for the Suns? And how is Kendall Marshall?

I hear Mike Brown, Flip Saunders and Stan Van Gundy in the conversation for Coach


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy