Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   UN Expert Investigating US Drone Killings (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=288507)

rufuspaul 01-24-2013 12:38 PM

UN Expert Investigating US Drone Killings

http://news.yahoo.com/un-expert-inve...161100835.html

Quote:

UNITED NATIONS (AP) A U.N. expert on Thursday launched a special investigation into drone warfare and targeted killings, which the United States relies on as a front-line weapon in its global war against al-Qaida.
One of the three countries requesting the investigation was Pakistan, which officially opposes the use of U.S. drones on its territory as an infringement on its sovereignty but is believed to have tacitly approved some strikes in the past. Many Pakistanis say innocent civilians have also been killed in drone strikes, which the U.S. has rejected.
The other two countries requesting the investigation were not named but were identified as two permanent members of the U.N. Security Council.
The civilian killings and injuries that result from drone strikes on suspected terrorist cells will be part of the focus of the investigation by British lawyer Ben Emmerson, the U.N. rapporteur on counterterrorism and human rights.
The U.N. said Emmerson will present his findings to the U.N. General Assembly later this year.
"The exponential rise in the use of drone technology in a variety of military and non-military contexts represents a real challenge to the framework of established international law," Emmerson said in announcing the probe Thursday in London.
Emmerson said countries that use drones have "an international law obligation to establish effective independent and impartial investigations into any drone attack in which it is plausibly alleged that civilian casualties were sustained."
John Brennan, the anti-terrorism chief who has been nominated as the next director of the Central Intelligence Agency, was the first Obama administration official to publicly acknowledge the highly secretive targeted killing operations, defending the legality of the overseas program and crediting it with protecting U.S. lives and preventing potential terror attacks. The CIA runs the drone program.
The American Civil Liberties Union has filed lawsuits against the United States over drone attacks that killed three U.S. civilians in Yemen in 2011, including an al-Qaida leader who had been born in the U.S., cleric Anwar al-Awlaki.
"We welcome this investigation in the hopes that global pressure will bring the U.S. back into line with international law requirements that strictly limit the use of lethal force," said Hina Shamsi, director of the American Civil Liberties Union's National Security Project.
Drone strikes have been on the rise under Obama. According to the Long War Journal, which tracks such attacks, there were 35 strikes in Pakistan during 2008, the last year President George W. Bush was in office. That number grew to 117 in 2010, then fell to 64 in 2011 and 46 last year.
The program has killed a number of top militant commanders, including al-Qaida's then-No. 2, Abu Yahya al-Libi, who died in a drone strike in June.

It amazes me how many of my liberal friends think drone warfare is no big deal.

longhornfan1234 01-24-2013 01:24 PM

Re: UN Expert Investigating US Drone Killings

Obama admin and Bush admin need to be arrested and go to trial.

Velocirap31 01-24-2013 01:32 PM

I agree with drone strikes and support them. The alternative is much more dangerous for everyone involved.

rufuspaul 01-24-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velocirap31
I agree with drone strikes and support them. The alternative is much more dangerous for everyone involved.

So you agree that the US has the right to ignore international law?

millwad 01-24-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rufuspaul

This.

Thanks for the wisdom, Rufus.

Velocirap31 01-24-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

The US has always been able to do whatever they've wanted and they have done just that for decades. The United States is the international law.

Waking_Life 01-24-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

The US has always been able to do whatever they've wanted and they have done just that for decades. The United States is the international law.

:facepalm

lakers_forever 01-24-2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

:applause:

Rufus, some people rather be a party hack than use common sense. If Obama was a Republican, some liberals would be calling for his head.

Hypocrite like Bill Maher who now applauds extra judicial killings of american citizens.

I don't know this woman, but she owned some hypocrites here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPCF97aoHZ4

MMM 01-24-2013 10:03 PM

Quote:

I disagree, drone strikes are also killing civilians and as a result increasing recruitment. Additionally the drones always hovering above are also contributing to anxiety and other psychological trauma. Overall, my biggest issue is the accountability of the program. How much do we really know about who we are killing???

Velocirap31 01-24-2013 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM
I disagree, drone strikes are also killing civilians and as a result increasing recruitment. Additionally the drones always hovering above are also contributing to anxiety and other psychological trauma. Overall, my biggest issue is the accountability of the program. How much do we really know about who we are killing???

That's a good point. The US can basically attack whom they please, which is a scary thought if you don't trust the government (seems quite a few Americans do not). I guess I'd sing a different tune if I had these drones buzzing by my home at night, I bet it is pretty terrifying. I just don't understand how innocent civilians can be killed accidentally with a system and technology that is so advanced. I mean, this isn't the Vietnam days with napalm.

red1 01-24-2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

good man

Derka 01-24-2013 10:48 PM

Quote:

That's a good point. The US can basically attack whom they please, which is a scary thought if you don't trust the government (seems quite a few Americans do not). I guess I'd sing a different tune if I had these drones buzzing by my home at night, I bet it is pretty terrifying. I just don't understand how innocent civilians can be killed accidentally with a system and technology that is so advanced. I mean, this isn't the Vietnam days with napalm.

Because the bad guys in that part of the world don't hang out on bases and forward operating posts like armies do. The bad guys over there aren't soldiers in any conventional sense. They're men and boys dressed in civilian clothes with AK-47's and improvised explosives in their houses right along side their wives and families.

Velocirap31 01-24-2013 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derka
Because the bad guys in that part of the world don't hang out on bases and forward operating posts like armies do. The bad guys over there aren't soldiers in any conventional sense. They're men and boys dressed in civilian clothes with AK-47's and improvised explosives in their houses right along side their wives and families.

Makes sense. Of course I don't condone the US killing innocent people, but that's a part of war. However, no one is going to convince me that stealth bombers or ground troops would be a safer alternative for innocent civilians and soldiers involved. Whether this breaks international law is irrelevant, innocent lives are being spared which is all that matters.

creepingdeath 01-24-2013 10:57 PM

Quote:

Makes sense. Of course I don't condone the US killing innocent people, but that's a part of war. However, no one is going to convince me that stealth bombers or ground troops would be a safer alternative for innocent civilians and soldiers involved. Whether this breaks international law is irrelevant, innocent lives are being spared which is all that matters.

:facepalm

Velocirap31 01-24-2013 10:59 PM

I've gotten 2 face palm emoticons in this thread now. Explain yourself or don't bother. You contribute nothing.