Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Question for you Scientists (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=288666)

Patrick Chewing 01-25-2013 07:58 PM

Question for you Scientists

Can someone explain to me why every now and then I get a shock on my fingers when closing the door to my car? Happens every time I get out and close the door?

This phenomenon also happens when we touch other people. But why??

Myth 01-25-2013 08:00 PM

Re: Question for you Scientists

You still haven't developed your superpower enough to control it? :biggums:

Hazard 01-25-2013 08:01 PM

Clearly you need a scientist to answer this question.

L.Kizzle 01-25-2013 08:11 PM

Shit happened everytime I turn on the light in the one room at work.

:biggums:

SpecialQue 01-25-2013 09:34 PM

It's because your car hates you.

CelticBaller 01-25-2013 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myth
You still haven't developed your superpower enough to control it? :biggums:

SMH, go easy on the noob.

Dictator 01-25-2013 09:43 PM

:eek: :eek:

You better delete this before the government finds out about your powers.

lbj4kb8 01-25-2013 10:55 PM

Have you heard of google? It would have been more time conserving to find out yourself then pose a question in a forum and wait for a response that answers your question.

But... I think it has something to do with the static you build up while or sitting in the car. Cloth/carpet is a good source to charge the body up and when you touch something (metal/human) it causes an "electric shock". This or you're a damn mutant. Therefore I suggest hiding your identity so the government doesn't find out.

shlver 01-25-2013 11:02 PM

Layman's response is that you have accumulated charge and the potential difference between you and the car or doorknob(isolated metal object) causes a flow of electrons.

shlver 01-25-2013 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbj4kb8
Have you heard of google? It would have been more time conserving to find out yourself then pose a question in a forum and wait for a response that answers your question.

But... I think it has something to do with the static you build up while or sitting in the car. Cloth/carpet is a good source to charge the body up and when you touch something (metal/human) it causes an "electric shock". This or you're a damn mutant. Therefore I suggest hiding your identity so the government doesn't find out.

IT depends on what kind of answer you seek. Your answer is basically useless. If OP wants to actually get into properties of metals and atomic orbitals, then he might want that answer and that requires some reading; not just "static builds up because the carpet charges you and you get electric shocked."

lbj4kb8 01-25-2013 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shlver
IT depends on what kind of answer you seek. Your answer is basically useless. If OP wants to actually get into properties of metals and atomic orbitals, then he might want that answer and that requires some reading; not just "static builds up because the carpet charges you and you get electric shocked."

Well, a question that was posed didn't really specify how detailed he wanted the question answered. I gave him my knowledge on the topic and was trying to be helpful. He asked a basic question and I gave him a basic answer.

shlver 01-25-2013 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbj4kb8
Well, a question that was posed didn't really specify how detailed he wanted the question answered. I gave him my knowledge on the topic and was trying to be helpful. He asked a basic question and I gave him a basic answer.

Obviously he wants a scientific answer if he's calling for scientists.