Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   So my views on religion have changed a tad bit... (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289397)

D-Rose 02-01-2013 12:10 PM

So my views on religion have changed a tad bit...

I'm sure many of you have seen me in religious arguments as an atheist and mocking others for their religion and all that.

Just to preface: I don't believe in a God, a religion, or a deity.

So my gf and I have been going with some friends to the "atheist club" over at the university. They have some decent discussions and what not. Last night some christian students and pretty much everyone else against them were debating whether so and so things from the bible are valid or whether Christianity is inherently evil,etc.

Ironic though, atheists can sometimes be the most closed-minded people of them all. This one guy called everyone in the middle east "savages who know nothing about civilization".

I realized in the middle of all this...what is the point of arguing all this and whether it is valid or not? One person for and one against could sit there for 24 hours every day and still not agree on anything.

I think the debate has taken a pointless turn in that respect. I think that what has to happen with religion and non-religious people is a certain understanding for the betterment of society. I have no problem with anyone worshiping anything, even if I think it's completely wrong. I think that everyone should believe what they want, BUT the debate should center on how people can still follow all the laws of society, show respect for those of other religions, and not promote the hate/resentment of arguments like I saw last night.

Point blank, I have more respect for a religious person who practices good values and is respectful of others than some atheist ass hat that thinks he's smarter than the rest of the population and better than others for not believing in a religion. I see a lot of those people and I have to say I can see why religious people don't like atheists even more.

Overall, I still wouldn't believe in any religion or god, but I can see that people follow a religion as a code of ethics and beliefs and for the most part do so peacefully. We must work with them to ensure they evolve as society does and that religion/non-religion can coexist in the same realm.

Thoughts?

johndeeregreen 02-01-2013 12:15 PM

Re: So my views on religion have changed a tad bit...

Wow, I see the gold tooth guy not only stole your money but also has you questioning everything that you thought was real.

D-Rose 02-01-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
Wow, I see the gold tooth guy not only stole your money but also has you questioning everything that you thought was real.

:lol
Hahahaaha you just had to bring that up

The Macho Man 02-01-2013 12:43 PM

Man, I can't even imagine how shitty the people are who go to an atheist discussion group.

You should just troll them.

ZeN 02-01-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johndeeregreen

:roll:

D-Rose 02-01-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Macho Man
Man, I can't even imagine how shitty the people are who go to an atheist discussion group.

You should just troll them.

Most of them are decent people, but some pompous jackasses are there for sure. I mean, I consider myself an atheist but think that it's all about tolerance and respect, not bringing others down for what they choose to follow.

The Macho Man 02-01-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Rose
Most of them are decent people, but some pompous jackasses are there for sure. I mean, I consider myself an atheist but think that it's all about tolerance and respect, not bringing others down for what they choose to follow.

Just go Bladers on them. Old Bladers, not new sex fiend Bladers. Well, maybe a little bit.

ZeN 02-01-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

May our lord and savior GawdBe the begotten one forgive you for the blasphemy that you have bestowed upon this forum.

GawdBe with you.

DeuceWallaces 02-01-2013 01:29 PM

Seriously, what kind of losers go to an Atheist discussion group? Lol

dunksby 02-01-2013 01:32 PM

lol why would you go to an atheist discussion group? It's obviously very fertile ground for pseudo intellectuals who just wanna flaunt the latest terms they saw on the back cover of some book they never read.

fiddy 02-01-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Ironic though, atheists can sometimes be the most closed-minded people of them all. This one guy called everyone in the middle east "savages who know nothing about civilization".

You didnt think at least for second he was right?

Nanners 02-01-2013 01:38 PM

I dont get how your views changed. Did you think that every athiest was a considerate and intelligent human being before this experience? Maybe I am missing something, it seems like you are saying you learned that regardless of whether or not a person believes in god, they can still be an ass-hole.... quite the revelation.

Blue&Orange 02-01-2013 01:39 PM

atheist club?

I'm sorry but if you go to a atheist club, you are not atheistic you're a douchebag...

what's next? Atheist cult? and then what? Atheist religion?

That makes sense.

Nanners 02-01-2013 01:45 PM

atheist club is no more douchey than christian club or republican club

SilkkTheShocker 02-01-2013 01:47 PM

From my experiences with Atheists, they tend to be overweight, ugly, kids that were picked on in school, came from broken homes, etc. They seem more mad at our Lord than anything.