Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Atheists - Randomness is just a way to quantify lack of knowledge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289838)

Bladers 02-06-2013 08:34 PM

Atheists - Randomness is just a way to quantify lack of knowledge

Think of a deck of cards. If you knew which cards would be drawn one after the other, it won't be random to you.

But because the order of cards are unknown to you, they appear random.
To the person who put the deck together, he's completely in the know.

Think of random dots.

To the outsider with lack of knowledge they appear random. But to the creator, these dots their movement and behaviour can be based off meanful data.

In like manner is the universe, what you perceive as randomness is just your lack of knowledge.

D-Rose 02-06-2013 08:40 PM

Re: Atheists - Randomness is just a way to quantify lack of knowledge

How's the girlfriend?

Bladers 02-06-2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Rose
How's the girlfriend?

She alright. Anyway back to topic.

When we don't understand something, we call it random. chance.
But the root of the issue is we lack the knowledge to grasp the intricate of the situation at hand.

Myth 02-06-2013 09:00 PM

:sleeping

miller-time 02-06-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bladers
She alright. Anyway back to topic.

When we don't understand something, we call it random. chance.
But the root of the issue is we lack the knowledge to grasp the intricate of the situation at hand.

And how can you demonstrate this? What if your lack of knowledge includes the knowledge of completely random systems?

ProfessorMurder 02-06-2013 09:25 PM

Garbage armchair philosophy from a moron.

Bladers 02-06-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miller-time
And how can you demonstrate this? What if your lack of knowledge includes the knowledge of completely random systems?

Let me ask u this, are dices random? or are the forces and attractions (formulas) at hand so unfamiliar to you to the point that they appear random?

Are these following numbers random? 12, 9, 18, 3, 6, 8, 22, 15, 17, 5....

or are the forces and attractions (formulas) at hand so unfamiliar to you to the point that they appear random?

Hazard 02-06-2013 09:52 PM

Holy shit everyone, card tricks prove the existence of God. It was always so simple, what the hell was I thinking? Spread the news this dipshit just figured it all out.

Big_Dogg 02-06-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hazard
Holy shit everyone, card tricks prove the existence of God. It was always so simple, what the hell was I thinking? Spread the news this dipshit just figured it all out.

^ Yeah, what he said :lol

niko 02-06-2013 10:00 PM

So what technique did you use?

GreatGreg 02-06-2013 10:00 PM

Quote:

:applause:

Bladers, if you get to criticize me for not believing in an almighty deity, I get to criticize you for blindly worshiping something that you can't even prove exists.

miller-time 02-06-2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

Let me ask u this, are dices random? or are the forces and attractions (formulas) at hand so unfamiliar to you to the point that they appear random?

or are the forces and attractions (formulas) at hand so unfamiliar to you to the point that they appear random?

That is part of the domain of what we know. What I am saying is that there might be systems that are truly random. Where there is no predictability on the outcome of an event.

shlver 02-06-2013 10:09 PM

Quote:

Yes they are random because the definition of scientific randomness is the quality of being unpredictable. That is the definition of random, not unfamiliarity of the forces and attractions.

Hazard 02-06-2013 10:12 PM

To understand what is random, you need the collective knowledge and experience of every component of matter that has existed throughout time. There is no being capable of doing that, so to even discuss it imo is a waste of time.

shlver 02-06-2013 10:17 PM

Quote:

To understand what is random, you need the collective knowledge and experience of every component of matter that has existed throughout time. There is no being capable of doing that, so to even discuss it imo is a waste of time.

I agree with this. Discussing randomness in the context of ontology is useless. We can only discuss randomness in the context of our observations.