Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Video Games Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Where do you read/watch reviews? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289863)

miller-time 02-07-2013 03:10 AM

Where do you read/watch reviews?

Anyone know of a good place for reviews? Usually I just go to IGN/Gamespot. Both seem to be OK but sometimes they are very pedantic about pointing out flaws that aren't really flaws, or hyping up games that are mediocre.

embersyc 02-07-2013 07:35 AM

Re: Where do you read/watch reviews?

Escapist is nice as well:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/

glidedrxlr22 02-07-2013 10:20 AM

I check out IGN, Gamespot, gametrailers, game informer....metacritic.

On youtube I like to check out the reviews from Angry Joe, Ultimate Chance, Zeitgeist Reviews, Nerdy Netty, and Raychul Moore....by the way the last two are hot gamer chicks.

clipse026 02-07-2013 02:17 PM

Giantbomb, GameInformer and Polygon are what I use. Giantbomb will usually give you a 30m-1h video reviews of them playing which are always hilarious and make me buy things I'm on the fence about.

Qwyjibo 02-07-2013 02:45 PM

Gamespot is generally where I go for reviews. They aren't quick to hand out high scores unless the game really deserves and don't work on a silly 7-10 scale like other places (IGN) do. If a big name game sucks, they'll give it a 6 or less.

Burgz V2 02-07-2013 05:38 PM

IGN tends to give out scores to big releases that are a bit undeserving. I usually see what the metacritic score is and if it's above 80% I usually look into trying it out, if it's 65-80 range, I'll check IGN, Gamespot and Gameinformer. Lower than that I usually say f*** it unless it's a game I wanna play anyway

Timmy D for MVP 02-08-2013 03:24 AM

I love Zero Punctuation because he hates pretty much everything, even the stuff he loves. I like this because I don't care if the reviewer likes the game or not so much as I want to see WHAT they like or not. And he really breaks it down extremely well. It's that case of a lover of video games who knows a bunch about them making reviews for others like him.

The ONLY problem is that it's one guy and he only reviews certain games so...

Velocirap31 02-08-2013 03:34 PM

Gamefaqs is the only site I go to for everything video game related. The other sites have too many ads and aren't laid out nicely like Gamefaqs is.

clipse026 02-08-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velocirap31
Gamefaqs is the only site I go to for everything video game related. The other sites have too many ads and aren't laid out nicely like Gamefaqs is.

:lol Polygon, Gameinformer and Giantbomb are laid out better than Gamefaqs imo. Gamefaqs looks like a site I could make myself in 2000.

Kungfro 02-10-2013 03:05 PM

A lot of games I have a good idea if I will buy it based on who it's made by and the type of game it is. I do like the Giantbomb quicklooks though, it's gotten me interested in a few titles I wouldn't have considered before. I don't really pay attention to any specific reviews, I'll usually see how the game is received by the gaming community as a whole.

Al Thornton 02-10-2013 04:20 PM

giantbomb. and gamespy just hired matt rorie so i'm checking that out now

i dont look at actual reviews very often just need to see the game played and listen to it talked about