Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Jeff Berwick -Get Far Away From The U.S... Collapse Will Be Messy (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=290476)

n00bie 02-13-2013 10:37 AM

Jeff Berwick -Get Far Away From The U.S... Collapse Will Be Messy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8sePb3SHFg

For those that never heard of this guy. He is a multimillionaire who was awarded the Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year award in 1999. He was also recognized by Business in Vancouver's "Top 40 under 40" ranking in 1999 & 2000.

Anyone else believe the U.S. can sustain this "debt driven" economy??! I don't see the economy recovering from this.. and it scares the shit out of me. :(

Skywalker 02-13-2013 10:45 AM

Re: Jeff Berwick -Get Far Away From The U.S... Collapse Will Be Messy

never heard of him, judging by the dates you listed it seems like someone trying to regain relevance

MMM 02-13-2013 10:57 AM

Debt is not the only contributor to a potential collapse though. I think there are other more likely natural collapses that can occur but they wont be limited to America. The world is over populated and over polluted. From a population stand point alone I don't see how the earth can continue to support such a high population. As resources become scarce it doesn't take a genius to see that things will get very interesting. However, I'm more interested in just how close we are to an actual tipping point in some of these calamity situations. It is quite easy to be a pessimist but at the same time I wonder just how justified in holding on to some of these beliefs. Maybe I'm wrongly underestimating humanities response to such situations

:confusedshrug: .

MMM 02-13-2013 11:02 AM

LOL @ comparing the american financial system to Zimbabwe

How can I take this guy seriously when he makes blanket statements like

"this is Zimbabwe"
"Government can't help anything"

n00bie 02-13-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM
Debt is not the only contributor to a potential collapse though. I think there are other more likely natural collapses that can occur but they wont be limited to America. The world is over populated and over polluted. From a population stand point alone I don't see how the earth can continue to support such a high population. As resources become scarce it doesn't take a genius to see that things will get very interesting. However, I'm more interested in just how close we are to an actual tipping point in some of these calamity situations. It is quite easy to be a pessimist but at the same time I wonder just how justified in holding on to some of these beliefs. Maybe I'm wrongly underestimating humanities response to such situations

But looking at the world's economy, do you feel like we'll recover from this? The world is in a really bad shape. EU is a mess, and the U.S.'s "recover" doesn't seem to be going anywhere. War on "terrorism" is putting us more in debt, and that "war" will NEVER end. Cost of living is going up, but salary isn't. Hard not to be pessimistic.

Also, 40% of U.S.'s GDP is from their own Gov't? That's alarming.

n00bie 02-13-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM
LOL @ comparing the american financial system to Zimbabwe

How can I take this guy seriously when he makes blanket statements like

"this is Zimbabwe"
"Government can't help anything"

I think he's referring to the future. He's stating the fact that If the economy collapses, it will be like Zimbabwe.

MMM 02-13-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n00bie
But looking at the world's economy, do you feel like we'll recover from this? The world is in a really bad shape. EU is a mess, and the U.S.'s "recover" doesn't seem to be going anywhere. War on "terrorism" is putting us more in debt, and that "war" will NEVER end. Cost of living is going up, but salary isn't. Hard not to be pessimistic.

Also, 40% of U.S.'s GDP is from their own Gov't? That's alarming.

I think America can recover if it can re-invest in it self.

It doesn't make sense to me that America puts more in defense spending than the next 10 nations. America's allies get a protection while getting to save costs of defense spending while America takes on a financial burden as well as being a target.

I've also said for months that spending on infrastructure now while borrowing costs are still low should be encouraged to reduce future cost. I might be wrong in this belief but it seems like America is suffering from crumbling infrastructure due to years of neglect.

niko 02-13-2013 11:40 AM

Everyone is intertwined. If the US is ****ed everyone is ****ed. None of the giant countries economies are so interdependent that they can survive the others crashing.

MMM 02-13-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niko
Everyone is intertwined. If the US is ****ed everyone is ****ed. None of the giant countries economies are so interdependent that they can survive the others crashing.

Which is why countries are trying to diversify from the US. Not sure how successful that strategy will be but you can see in Canada that they are aggressively seeking trade deals in Asia and Europe for new markets because of the lack of confidence in America's economy. With that being said I think if worse came to worst multinationals/china other foreign powers would attempt to bail out the American economy.

n00bie 02-13-2013 11:59 AM

Great speech about our debt based economy in response to Obama's speech.

http://youtu.be/8POlWwFbn4E

JtotheIzzo 02-13-2013 12:30 PM

These people are all attention whoring. They know full well that if the US goes down it will take everyone else down with it, people are too reliant on the US for their ow survival, and everything possible will be done to keep the US afloat.

Scoooter 02-13-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM

The world isn't overpopulated, we just haven't optimized the use and distribution of our resources. Something close to 50% of the food we produce is wasted. Our resources aren't scarce, it's just a question of technology. Ditto pollution.

n00bie 02-13-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
These people are all attention whoring. They know full well that if the US goes down it will take everyone else down with it, people are too reliant on the US for their ow survival, and everything possible will be done to keep the US afloat.

And how would they keep the US afloat? Print more money out of thin air to bail out gov'ts & banks again? Putting more debt into the economy?

MMM 02-13-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n00bie
And how would they keep the US afloat? Print more money out of thin air to bail out gov'ts & banks again? Putting more debt into the economy?

The Problem with America economy is that it is far too consumer based and it doesn't produced products that people want to buy. The debt/deficit are an outcome of a larger economic problem not the root of it. Cutting the debt/deficit at this time will actually compound the problem and make the debt/deficit worse in the long term.

Norcaliblunt 02-13-2013 01:47 PM

http://tarpley.net/five-point-program.pdf