Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   College and High School Basketball Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Nerlins Noel Torn ACL Out For The Season (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=290492)

Anti Hero 02-13-2013 02:01 PM

Nerlins Noel Torn ACL Out For The Season

University of Kentucky freshman Nerlens Noel will miss the rest of the 2012-13 season with a torn ACL in his left knee, the school announced Wednesday.

Noel suffered the injury during the second half of Tuesday night’s 69-52 loss at Florida.

Noel, who some have projected as the No. 1 overall pick in the 2013 NBA Draft, will undergo surgery in the next two to three weeks, UK said. The timetable for recovery is estimated at six to eight months.

-- Lexington Herald-Leader

Read more: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=12402

Thorpesaurous 02-13-2013 02:14 PM

Re: Nerlins Noel Torn ACL Out For The Season

He could probably use this in court to fight the NBA's 1 year policy.

I doubt it would work, but it could be made into an interesting case.

It's unfortunate either way.

Burgz V2 02-13-2013 03:49 PM

tough break. will have to stay another year, could be for the best, he has no offensive game whatsoever

IGotACoolStory 02-13-2013 04:00 PM

I don't think he has to stay another year, nor should he. Wouldn't be surprised to still see him get drafted in the top 5.

Hope he recovers well.

InspiredLebowski 02-13-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IGotACoolStory
I don't think he has to stay another year, nor should he. Wouldn't be surprised to still see him get drafted in the top 5.

Hope he recovers well.

yeah, he's gone. Thankfully it was "just" the ACL, it looked pretty damn bad.

fatboy11 02-13-2013 04:35 PM

How's this for a scenario?

* Do NOT enter this year's draft.

* Rehab exclusively.

* Come back in the D-League next season.

* Enter next year's draft.

He could conceivably still be a top 5 pick in this draft, but he'd be, at worst, a top 2 pick in 2014. It's really just Wiggins in his way. I mean, who knows, maybe he comes back really strong and ends up being the top pick next year over Wiggins.

intrinsic 02-13-2013 06:38 PM

How much different is this in comparison to Kenyon's broken leg? Talent is still talent, right? Worst case scenario, he loses his first full NBA season to rehab and recovery. I can't see that pushing him down the draft board much if at all.

Burgz V2 02-13-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intrinsic
How much different is this in comparison to Kenyon's broken leg? Talent is still talent, right? Worst case scenario, he loses his first full NBA season to rehab and recovery. I can't see that pushing him down the draft board much if at all.

yea because it's a weak draft. Kenyon came out in a weak draft as well. He returned for his senior year to avoid being in the same draft as guys like Eddy Curry, Pau Gasol, Tyson Chandler, Eddie Griffin, even Kwame. Had the '02 draft been that strong he would have just entered the draft.

Nerlens is in a different situation, with Kenyon, everyone already knew he was going to be star. With Nerlens, aside from rebounding and shotblocking he hasn't really shown anything to warrant the same acclaim.

I still think he should stay another year, I think healing his knee is a top priority, but if some team wants to take the risk and gives him a guarantee in the lottery, it'll be hard for him to turn down the money and the best trainers money can buy.

Tougher situation imo in comparison to Kenyon

ThunderStruk022 02-13-2013 07:48 PM

Just heard Chad Ford on the radio saying he's still hearing most GM's have Noel in the 2-5 range on their big board. This is with them knowing Noel has a torn ACL. So, take that for what it's worth.

insidehoops 02-14-2013 03:59 AM

I spoke with a number of NBA GMs and scouts last night and this morning about how an ACL tear would affect Noel's draft stock. The good news is that players can completely recover from ACL tears and the injury (assuming it's not more serious than an ACL tear) should not affect his long-term status. The bad news is that all of them expressed reservations about drafting Noel with the No. 1 pick given the injury.

-- ESPN.com

SourPatchKids 02-14-2013 05:36 AM

Ruh-Roh

Colorado State to win the Championship. =)

ILLsmak 03-03-2013 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThunderStruk022
Just heard Chad Ford on the radio saying he's still hearing most GM's have Noel in the 2-5 range on their big board. This is with them knowing Noel has a torn ACL. So, take that for what it's worth.

Down from the 1 range, though. Huge difference. Nobody is gonna let him slide out of the top 5, that's probably true... but this makes a huge difference. not only for teams but for his mentality coming in. I dunno how many of you guys have had an injury that was serious enough that you were thinking about it the next time you balled. You start wondering if you did something wrong or have to keep it from happening again.

-Smak

andremiller07 03-03-2013 06:32 AM

Hes one of two/three players the Kings should look to draft

#1 Being Marcus Smart
#2 Being Noel

Kings need a starting level PG / a rim protector hopefully one falls to the Kings, I would be willing to take that risk even with his injury. Hes still young and theres more knowledge about knee injuries and better systems to deal with them + hes another guy from Kentucky and you can't have to many of them :applause: