Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Different views on reality (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=290520)

ZenMaster 02-13-2013 08:46 PM

Different views on reality

Recently I have been reading a bit into how people live in different realities and how this affects behavior. To me it's quite an interesting subject and has let me to seriously contemplete attending church every once in a while even though I don't believe in god or Jesus.
It has helped me understand and accept how everyone and everything is different, I'd say it has made me more understanding, open and accepting of other people whos thoughts differ from my own, it's still a work in progress and likely always will be.

Conspiracy theorists are a very interesting subject when looking into different realities because the stuff is often so extreme. Yesterday I came across this site canadafreepress.com , many of the articles posted are really extreme as they originate from a stand point that basically everything officially told is a lie. The overall...message if you will... of the site is very dark as a downfall of the US economy is predicted.
A horrifying truth or major piece of fiction it's an interesting and "entertaining" read.

What are your thoughts on sites like these? Are there really enough people reading these sites for them to make a profit? Is there money to be made from pounding on peoples fears of the worst and are the authors just writing this pretending it to be a book or something of that sort?
Or are the authors simply batshit crazy with a big imagination?

Quote:

RB: First of all, two days after the inauguration, at exactly 7:00 a.m. on January 23, something called “the Cyber-Warriors for Obama Project” was activated. I heard about this the week after the election, but only saw a hardcopy draft in late December. From what I was told, I believe this is a project that is being paid for through funds from Obama’s political corporation, the 501(c)4 Organizing for Obama, I believe it’s called. I can’t be sure, but that’s what I was told.

At that time, I was shown a white, three-ring binder with Obama’s circular campaign logo imprinted on the outside of the binder with the name “Cyber-Warriors for Obama” printed in blue across the top. Inside were the names and e-mail addresses of 3,575 “cyber assets,” or “warriors,” listed in alphabetical order under about a dozen or so “team leaders.” From a separate sheet I was shown, most of these “assets” are being paid just over minimum wage, but as I understand it, they work from home and have no overhead. I believe there are about two dozen supervisors who make substantially more.

Now I only had the binder for a minute, and could not take it from the room I was in, so this is strictly from memory.

It was tabbed, and one section with the word “targets” had a list of religious web sites, web sites I recognized as Christian. Another section was a listing of conservative Internet sites. There was another tab with the label “problem sites” that seemed quite extensive. I looked at that section, and it was broken down further into “birther” sites, “pro-gun” sites, “anti-abortion” sites, just to name a few.

There was also a section of the usual news sites, like CNN, ABC, you know. Numerous e-mail addresses were conspicuous under each news organization, which also included Fox… [unintelligible]. I figured you were going to ask.

The first page of the binder had bullet points labeled “objectives” and instructions for the cyber-assets. There was also a very detailed non-disclosure agreement with the word “DRAFT” typed in big, light grey letters across the body of the two-page agreement. The agreement and the instructions were typed on white paper with a warning, printed in red on each page, that the document was not to be copied or disseminated.

DH: Where did you see this? I mean, was it at DHS?

RB: Yes, and that’s as much as I can say on the location.

DH: What’s the magic behind the number 3,575?

RB: I asked the person showing me [the binder] that question. Supposedly, it has to do with their budget, or the project funding.

DH: Go on.

RB: The instructions seemed very specific. Infiltrate web forums, collect screen names, avatars, and posters’ tag lines, and attempt to resolve these to their actual identities. I read one paragraph that listed circumstances when the “asset” was only to monitor but do not disrupt without authorization. There was another section titled “Divert, Disrupt and Destroy,” listing “how to’s” in certain cases.

There was also a section on maintaining a social media presence, and another on the most effective use of Twitter.

Lastly, there was a “reference section,” which included statistics, specific language to use to marginalize different posters, and effective methods to discredit people while maintaining a sense of legitimacy.

It was surreal, to say the least.

Oh, one more thing that’s important. As I said, these “kids,” or young people I believe, are known collectively as “Cyber-Warriors for Obama.” The subheading was “And the truth shall set you free.” Truth? Really? They were hired on their hacking abilities, or more precisely on their abilities to make postings through proxy servers and effectively use alternate identities and multiple e-mail addresses. Their purpose is to spread disinformation, not truth.

There were also motivational statements on various pages, including one that referred to Obama as the “Pharaoh of the Internet,” which I thought was an odd characterization.

But what’s important is that suddenly, through the use of Internet aliases, multiple e-mail addresses, and screen names, a project that employs 3,575 people will have the appearance and effectiveness of maybe 10,000 or more different people.

Quote:

DH: I feel like we’re getting off point. So, what is being planned?

RB: The DHS will oversee the domestic crackdown that will happen when the perfect storm bears down on us. And the perfect storm is the economy, meaning the U.S. dollar collapse and hyperinflation, racial or class riots sparked by a high-profile incident, and another mass causality event involving guns. Watch for these three things to happen all at once, or in close succession.

Quote:

Something happened this week that brings back haunting memories of the 2001 put options of airline stocks, except this “bet” is against the entire U.S. economy. This week, an anonymous trader bought 100,000 put options on the ETF, which is an acronym for an exchange-traded fund. One commonly traded ETF is XLF, which, in the most unscientific and basic terms, is a group of funds that is like a barometer for the stock market.

Now, such trades involving ETF-XLF are common, except when the put options (bets that the value of an asset is going to go down) are so large and so significant that they scream of insider knowledge with big flashing lights and arrows. This is one of those. In this case, it is a bet against the stock market, although this is admittedly a rather oversimplified explanation - but you get the idea.

According to professionals who watch this activity for a living, normal single trades involve maybe 500 contracts at most. That’s why certain professionals took notice of an order this week of 100,000 put options, or 200 times the high trade volume of 500. It become even more curious when one considers that the trader is “betting” that the market will take a significant hit by the end of April. (The put options are dated for April 20 and 25, 2013, right around Hitler’s birthday, for those of you who follow things like that.)

At this point, I could mention that the VIX, or volatility index (a/k/a the fear index) is at historical lows and a bet like that recently made is actually contrary to the trend, thus making the “bet” even more curious, but I’ll spare you the market talk that I barely understand. I will, however, tell you this. I contacted a stock broker yesterday with over 25 years of experience in the market and asked about this put option. He said that he is aware of this activity, and told me that someone is risking a lot of money betting on a major stock market correction.

“A crash?” I asked him. “Explain it to me,” I pleaded.

“Shhhh, we don’t use that term,” was his reply, as he opened his desk drawer and grabbed a bottle of antacid tablets. “Someone seems to know something. I’ve never seen anything quite like this,” was his reply. “Well, maybe once. Remember those put options before 9/11?”

IamRAMBO24 02-13-2013 09:29 PM

Re: Different views on reality

I don't like conspiracy theories. I find them interesting and a good read, but for the most part, I don't fully believe in them, especially the end of the world stuff since they've gotten it wrong so many times on the time it is supposed to end.

boozehound 02-13-2013 09:37 PM

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0213173131.htm

TheMarkMadsen 02-13-2013 09:38 PM

wouldn't be suprised at all if there were people within the government or "Cyber warriors" that go from site to site (not ISH) and spread dis information.

Government paid "cyber warriors" has been a long time suspicion of the people over at ATS.

None of this would really surprise me too much.

TheMarkMadsen 02-13-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
I don't like conspiracy theories. I find them interesting and a good read, but for the most part, I don't fully believe in them, especially the end of the world stuff since they've gotten it wrong so many times on the time it is supposed to end.

anybody who's ever predicted the end of the world is immediately labeled a "conspiracy theorist"

you can't group all of these people together.

the people who believe that the Government isn't 100% truthful in everything they say/claim are not always the same people who think Obama is a CIA robot drone manchurian candidate anti christ..

miller-time 02-13-2013 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
the people who believe that the Government isn't 100% truthful in everything they say/claim are not always the same people who think Obama is a CIA robot drone manchurian candidate anti christ..

But the second group is probably a subset of the first group.

Conspiracy theorists only bother me because they generally come from a position that presupposes a conspiracy. They don't look at the evidence first and draw a conclusion, instead they suspect a conspiracy first and then make the evidence fit. They don't see what they are doing though so they will deny it.

Conspiracies exist but they tend not to be grand schemes with millions of moving parts. They are the things we will never really know about like price fixing and political payoffs. Rather boring but a lot more influential on our daily lives.