Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   New York Knicks Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Kenyon Martin is a Knick (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291389)

knickscity 02-21-2013 06:01 PM

Kenyon Martin is a Knick

Marc J. Spears ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo

Y! Sports story: Kenyon Martin finally returns to NBA with 10-day contract with Knicks.

Good rebounder, and defender, should add tougness.

Still a fugazy.:cheers:

Scoooter 02-21-2013 06:26 PM

Re: Kenyon Martin is a Knick

Why hasn't he been playing somewhere?

knickscity 02-21-2013 06:27 PM

Maybe he was told to hold.

I know he wanted more money though, teams didn't want to pay i guess.

Rameek 02-21-2013 10:47 PM

I hope he's the new starting PF or Stat is...

ClutchOver9000 02-22-2013 01:52 AM

:dancin

please stay healthy

franchize 02-22-2013 08:54 AM

Glen Grunwald is a joke. I hope he gets herpes in his ear lobe lol

Basically, this is what happened. The got rid of Brewer to create a roster spot for Jermaine O'neal. O'neal is old, but he's also still a very good rebounder (12, 13 and 13 over the last 3 games). So the Knicks did nothing all trade deadline and were licking their chops for the Suns to cut O'neal, as rumored, because they needed space for recently acquired Marcus Morris. But, the kick in the rear came when Pheonix cut Luke Zeller instead (which makes sense because O'neal is better). And there you have it. You cut a guy for a 2nd round pick who will never show up, to make a roster spot for a guy who you could have had the entire year. Now he's on a 10 day contract. It'll take him more than 10 days to get in basketball shape. Which means he'll probably be on our team for the rest of the year. So we cut a 27 year old to add yet another 35 and older player, effectively bringing out total to 6...and you want to blame Carmelo Anthony for the reason we're struggling lol

Rameek 02-22-2013 10:32 AM

Its cheaper this way to add Kenyon than earlier in the year which you already know he wanted major bread by what rumors said. You dump Brewer who cant play and is out the rotation.

I wouldnt have mind Jermaine or Kenyon personally. Desperate times calls for desperate measures.

I really dont know what other trades could have been made though (attempted or otherwise). I get the impression you wanted something else to get done.

el gringos 02-23-2013 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franchize
Glen Grunwald is a joke. I hope he gets herpes in his ear lobe lol

Basically, this is what happened. The got rid of Brewer to create a roster spot for Jermaine O'neal. O'neal is old, but he's also still a very good rebounder (12, 13 and 13 over the last 3 games). So the Knicks did nothing all trade deadline and were licking their chops for the Suns to cut O'neal, as rumored, because they needed space for recently acquired Marcus Morris. But, the kick in the rear came when Pheonix cut Luke Zeller instead (which makes sense because O'neal is better). And there you have it. You cut a guy for a 2nd round pick who will never show up, to make a roster spot for a guy who you could have had the entire year. Now he's on a 10 day contract. It'll take him more than 10 days to get in basketball shape. Which means he'll probably be on our team for the rest of the year. So we cut a 27 year old to add yet another 35 and older player, effectively bringing out total to 6...and you want to blame Carmelo Anthony for the reason we're struggling lol

Knicks are the team that should have made a deal w the suns.

franchize 02-23-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rameek
Its cheaper this way to add Kenyon than earlier in the year which you already know he wanted major bread by what rumors said. You dump Brewer who cant play and is out the rotation.

I wouldnt have mind Jermaine or Kenyon personally. Desperate times calls for desperate measures.

I really dont know what other trades could have been made though (attempted or otherwise). I get the impression you wanted something else to get done.

I would have rathered Jermaine over Kenyon for many reasons. One being because he's already in game shape. That being said, I'm not even mad we got Kenyon Martin. Just like wth the Camby acquisition, it isn't about what we did, it' about HOW we did it. This move could have been done in January. After December, Martin and his agent knows damn well he's not going to get anything more than the vet min.

OKC has no intention on using Brewer. They just wanted the roster spot and expiring contract. We could have gotten rid of Kurt Thomas to some team. Even at his worst, Brewer bring more to the table than Thomas.

Rameek 02-24-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

I would have rathered Jermaine over Kenyon for many reasons. One being because he's already in game shape. That being said, I'm not even mad we got Kenyon Martin. Just like wth the Camby acquisition, it isn't about what we did, it' about HOW we did it. This move could have been done in January. After December, Martin and his agent knows damn well he's not going to get anything more than the vet min.

OKC has no intention on using Brewer. They just wanted the roster spot and expiring contract. We could have gotten rid of Kurt Thomas to some team. Even at his worst, Brewer bring more to the table than Thomas.

How could you have done this in January? You speak often like things just can happen because its Fantasy basketball :roll:
So you would have given up the only other healthy big behind Stat and Chandler even though Stat was just coming back from injury not knowing if he would stay healthy? Thats a big ball move.

franchize 02-24-2013 07:43 PM

Quote:

How could you have done this in January? You speak often like things just can happen because its Fantasy basketball :roll:
So you would have given up the only other healthy big behind Stat and Chandler even though Stat was just coming back from injury not knowing if he would stay healthy? Thats a big ball move.

So explain to me how we COULDNT have done it? Grizzlies traded Mareese Speights, Ellington AND a #1 for a d-leaguer. Even if you couldn't make a trade, we have guys who could be outright cut. And yes I would get rid of Thomas if I'm replacing him with Martin. I don't get what's hard to understand about that. There's nothing about Thomas that I fear losing.

Scoooter 02-24-2013 08:12 PM

I guess he isn't read to play yet. Woody had him benched in the first half.

Rameek 02-24-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

So explain to me how we COULDNT have done it? Grizzlies traded Mareese Speights, Ellington AND a #1 for a d-leaguer. Even if you couldn't make a trade, we have guys who could be outright cut. And yes I would get rid of Thomas if I'm replacing him with Martin. I don't get what's hard to understand about that. There's nothing about Thomas that I fear losing.

What does a Salary dump by Memphis have to do with the Knicks... The Knicks did a similar trade to Houston.

You saying cut Thomas which makes no sense. Stat was just coming back so you would cut a big to add Martin who has to get in basketball shape and what if something happened to Stat or Chandler in that time period. Makes no sense.

The Knicks waited got a 2nd round pick for a player who had fallen out the rotation, cleared a spot, added Martin on the cheap.

The Knicks could have cut someone White or Copeland maybe but thats not how it works because that money is still counted against the salary cap.The Knicks are trying to work under fiscal responsibility.

franchize 02-24-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

What does a Salary dump by Memphis have to do with the Knicks... The Knicks did a similar trade to Houston.

You saying cut Thomas which makes no sense. Stat was just coming back so you would cut a big to add Martin who has to get in basketball shape and what if something happened to Stat or Chandler in that time period. Makes no sense.

The Knicks waited got a 2nd round pick for a player who had fallen out the rotation, cleared a spot, added Martin on the cheap.

The Knicks could have cut someone White or Copeland maybe but thats not how it works because that money is still counted against the salary cap.The Knicks are trying to work under fiscal responsibility.

So what is Sheed and Thomas? That's basketball shape? No. None of these guys are in basketball shape. They're old. I'd rather have Martin, whose 35 and used to jump out the gym, than Thomas, who's 40 and hasn't ever really been athletic.

Furthermore, Brewer has been in Woody's doghouse for a minute now. Why not make this move earlier? It's not like we got anything of value. It was a roster spot dump. Not a blockbuster deal. It's been apparent that Ronnie wasn't going to get burn. For that matter, neither does James White. You mean to tell me out of White, Brewer and Thomas, 3 guys who do nothing and get no playing time, you couldn't have gotten that same deal a month ago?

Rameek 02-24-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

So what is Sheed and Thomas? That's basketball shape? No. None of these guys are in basketball shape. They're old. I'd rather have Martin, whose 35 and used to jump out the gym, than Thomas, who's 40 and hasn't ever really been athletic.

Furthermore, Brewer has been in Woody's doghouse for a minute now. Why not make this move earlier? It's not like we got anything of value. It was a roster spot dump. Not a blockbuster deal. It's been apparent that Ronnie wasn't going to get burn. For that matter, neither does James White. You mean to tell me out of White, Brewer and Thomas, 3 guys who do nothing and get no playing time, you couldn't have gotten that same deal a month ago?

You cant cut Thomas with Stat just coming back from injury. That would leave only Martin Chandler Stat (at that point who knew what he would be). This is the point you are not getting. You cant be that short handed.

How do you know that deal was available. Its not fantasy basketball. Its apparent that OKC and Memphis dont want to pay into the luxury tax.