Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Durantom Fouls (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291496)

NumberSix 02-22-2013 07:36 PM

Durantom Fouls

Title says it all. What's the consensus on the phantom calls Durant gets?

Do y'all think it's over exaggerated or do you believe it's as bad as some make it out to be.

I mean, if he's going to continue to get all these phantom calls, shouldn't we call him Kevin Durantom? Or Durantom foul? We've don it to other players with similar reputations.

noob cake 02-22-2013 07:38 PM

Re: Durantom Fouls

Quote:

Originally Posted by NumberSix
Title says it all. What's the consensus on the phantom calls Durant gets?

Do y'all think it's over exaggerated or do you believe it's as bad as some make it out to be.

I mean, if he's going to continue to get all these phantom calls, shouldn't we call him Kevin Durantom? Or Durantom foul? We've don it to other players with similar reputations.

Durant shoots jumpers, receives FT.

He is worse than Kevin Martin in terms of trying to draw cheapies. If LeBron got Durant touch fouls, he would average 15 FT a game.

LikeABosh 02-22-2013 07:40 PM

I'll I'm gonna say on the subject is that if Lebron got called like Durant does he'd get 16+ fts a game

shortsoptional 02-22-2013 07:44 PM

Somewhat related:

I have a question.

The "swing" the arms up in to the other guy for a foul was something I thought they stopped calling. Is that not the case anymore, because i've seen it called more than once this year? Just curious if there was some sort of criteria for how it was or was not called.

Trentknicks 02-22-2013 07:48 PM

Probably gets overblown at times but Melo and to a lesser degree Lebron don't get the calls he does. Obviously due to body shape they are able to take more contact without being knocked around but Durant certainly doesn't mind assisting the refs with calls.

maybeshewill13 02-22-2013 07:51 PM

OP mad as hell Lakers aren't making the playoffs :roll: :sleeping

R1Turtle 02-22-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortsoptional
Somewhat related:

I have a question.

The "swing" the arms up in to the other guy for a foul was something I thought they stopped calling. Is that not the case anymore, because i've seen it called more than once this year? Just curious if there was some sort of criteria for how it was or was not called.

It's still a foul. Just no longer a shooting foul. But if lets say durant does it when the other team is in the penalty, he gets free throws.

TheCalmInsanity 02-22-2013 07:56 PM

Quote:

Somewhat related:

I have a question.

I thought so too, but I found out they're still calling it. The thing they changed about it is that although its a foul, its no longer considered "in the shooting motion" and will not get them free throws (unless they're in the bonus, of course). So they can't use it to get free throws for free anymore.

shortsoptional 02-22-2013 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R1Turtle
It's still a foul. Just no longer a shooting foul. But if lets say durant does it when the other team is in the penalty, he gets free throws.

Gotcha... thanks.

I saw it happen to Dallas and swear he got free throws out of it, but they were probably in the penalty. Still sucks as a foul, but makes sense.

shortsoptional 02-22-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCalmInsanity
I thought so too, but I found out they're still calling it. The thing they changed about it is that although its a foul, its no longer considered "in the shooting motion" and will not get them free throws (unless they're in the bonus, of course). So they can't use it to get free throws for free anymore.

Appreciate the response.

R1Turtle 02-22-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Gotcha... thanks.

I saw it happen to Dallas and swear he got free throws out of it, but they were probably in the penalty. Still sucks as a foul, but makes sense.

I agree. It shouldnt even be a foul in the first place.

ShaqAttack3234 02-22-2013 09:43 PM

He's a great player who seems to get better each year and he seems to be a good teammate who works on his game, but the treatment he gets from the refs is comical to say the least. Not only the amount of calls he gets, but the type of calls. Regardless of whether there's contact, if a defender guards Durant tightly and Durant twists his body, looks award, or misses a shot, it's an automatic foul. You expect him to get a certain amount of calls because he's an almost automatic shooter, with an extremely difficult jumper to contest and he does drive, is a good finisher due to length and he handles the ball well for a 6'10" player. But it's gotten excessive to say the least. Considering how many technicals he gets now while getting babied by the refs like no other player I've seen, I'd guarantee he'd have been suspended a number of times already if he got the disrespect from the refs that Melo gets.

mentallooser 02-22-2013 09:46 PM

I think Durant gets the benefit of the doubt basically any time that contact isn't completely obviously made. It is a little annoying that he makes it to the line so easily on jumpers slowing down the flow of the game to a crawl. There are worse things in the NBA though.

Djahjaga 02-22-2013 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noob cake
Durant shoots jumpers, receives FT.

He is worse than Kevin Martin in terms of trying to draw cheapies. If LeBron got Durant touch fouls, he would average 15 FT a game.

Do people seriously think Durant is just a jump shooter? What is this, 2009?

NumberSix 02-23-2013 07:45 PM

Durantom foul