Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   NBA Draft Day Blunders: Where does Memphis drafting Thabeet over Harden in 2009 rank? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291825)

2010splash 02-26-2013 09:05 AM

NBA Draft Day Blunders: Where does Memphis drafting Thabeet over Harden in 2009 rank?

In hindsight, one of the worst decisions ever. Obviously no one expected Thabeet to be so bad and Harden to be this great, but that's what the scouts/GMs get paid the big bucks for.

Can you imagine the Grizzlies with Harden on their squad? :wtf:

Best in the West for sure, right?

Mr Exlax 02-26-2013 09:08 AM

Re: NBA Draft Day Blunders: Where does Memphis drafting Thabeet over Harden in 2009 rank?

Didn't Memphis already have a young stud SG at the time? Thabeet looked good in college. 7 footers are so rare right now. They almost had to take him.

Budadiiii 02-26-2013 09:12 AM

Re: NBA Draft Day Blunders: Where does Memphis drafting Thabeet over Harden in 2009 rank?

Nobodies cares about this shit dude. Hindsight is 20/20. Congrats genius.

SilkkTheShocker 02-26-2013 09:13 AM

Memphis would have just traded Harden Corey Maggette and Jason Maxiel. Its amazing how many stupid moves the Grizzlies make.

G. Vasquez for Crap
Traded Speights/Ellington because they are cheap
Traded Rudy Gay because they are cheap
Made a desperation signing for Iverson
Drafted Xavier Henry
Drafted Thabeet

sipitri 02-26-2013 09:18 AM

I remember the general opinion on ISH was Thabeet = bust, Harden = solid starter.
I was infact unimpressed by Harden first two years because of what I read on this forum (I don't watch college so I don't know shit about college players), I was expecting more. Guess I was wrong.

plowking 02-26-2013 09:25 AM

I actually remember Harden being very hyped both on here and by most analysts, mentioning possible superstar potential.

With Thabeet there was a lot of speculation. In essence, it was quite a terrible choice given what was being said at the time. They took a risk I guess and it didn't pan out.

Mr. Incredible 02-26-2013 09:41 AM

OKC trading him is even worse.

HiphopRelated 02-26-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Exlax
Didn't Memphis already have a young stud SG at the time? Thabeet looked good in college. 7 footers are so rare right now. They almost had to take him.

Thabeet did not look good in college.

He was drafted as a project for no reason when they already had Marc Gasol

Sarcastic 02-26-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Incredible
OKC trading him is even worse.

And then they signed Thabeet :lol

Budadiiii 02-26-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarcastic
And then they signed Thabeet :lol

So with Memphis's mistake, we get Harden for a finals run, Kevin Martin, Jeremby Lamb, a first round pick, and Thabeet. :banana:

Thanks Memphis! :banana:

Mr. Incredible 02-26-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Budadiiii
So with Memphis's mistake, we get Harden for a finals run, Kevin Martin, Jeremby Lamb, a first round pick, and Thabeet. :banana:

Or you could of had a potential dynasty. :rockon:

Budadiiii 02-26-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Incredible
Or you could of had a potential dynasty. :rockon:

I'm content with having a top team in the league and a legit title contender for many years to come.

:applause:

2010splash 02-26-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Budadiiii

LMAO. You scrubs got hosed in that deal. Worst trade ever. Harden is a superstar playing ball for the next 8-10 years. You got injury prone 30 year old Kevin Martin and scrubs and picks. :roll:

Budadiiii 02-26-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2010splash
LMAO. You scrubs got hosed in that deal. Worst trade ever. Harden is a superstar playing ball for the next 8-10 years. You got injury prone 30 year old Kevin Martin and scrubs and picks. :roll:

And ignore the main reason we made the pick in the first place. :facepalm

You think it's cool to be an open Miami Heat bandwagon fan? :facepalm

Kill yourself.

gasolina 02-26-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
Memphis would have just traded Harden Corey Maggette and Jason Maxiel. Its amazing how many stupid moves the Grizzlies make.

G. Vasquez for Crap
Drafted Xavier Henry
Drafted Thabeet

Vasquez was traded for Pondexter, plus we already had a starting pg in Conley

But yeah Grizzlies could've had a better team with those picks. The problem was we were really hesitant in making big moves and was content with saving money.

IIRC even Lowry, Sam Young, Demarre Carrol were all traded to save money or to get one year rentals out of players like Ronnie Brewer, Shane Battier.

The team never had foresight to develop players in case things doesn't work out (Rudy Gay)