Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Alex Smith traded to KC (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291940)

knickballer 02-27-2013 12:47 PM

Alex Smith traded to KC

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/89...-chiefs-source

Looks like in exchange for a second round pick and a conditional pick in 2014.

Wasn't expecting him to go for a 2nd(practically a first) at all. I thought the Niners had no leverage what so ever and here they come out with a 1st rounder.. KC won't be drafting Geno or any QB with their 1st pick and they'll probably get one of the prized linemen in the draft.

Chiefs also cut Matt Cassell as well. KC will be a playoff team in 2013, alot of talent on that squad with a good offensive mind.

jazz873 02-27-2013 01:24 PM

Re: Alex Smith traded to KC

Chiefs gave up way too much

Carbine 02-27-2013 01:28 PM

Yeah that Chiefs pick is very valuable, especially in this draft where a really really good talent will be there at 34.

Wonder what the 2014 pick is conditional on.

Carbine 02-27-2013 01:33 PM

One thing I am not fully understanding though of the Chiefs situation is why they wouldn't just resign Brandon Albert, a pretty good LT....and draft someone, whoever it may be, 1st overall and just add that much more talent to the team.

Instead of just letting him go and replacing him with a Joeckle or Fisher.

Rameek 02-27-2013 02:56 PM

The 49ers didnt have to trade him they could have kept him no skin off there nose. The Chiefs were a little desperate. I thought at best a 3rd rounder.

The conditions are probably based on starts, yardage, TD's, etc....

TheMarkMadsen 02-27-2013 03:00 PM

Chiefs got a good deal. We were goin to spend a 2nd rounder on a Qb anyways.

At least now we know what we've got at Qb instead of some project Qb

franchise#3 02-27-2013 03:03 PM

I'll miss you Alex 49ers. Sad day for me. My favorite player ever is not on my team anymore :cry:

It's a good deal though. People need to forget how alex played 5 years ago and see what kind of player he is now.

GOBB 02-27-2013 03:38 PM

KC should trade the #1 pick and get back a 2nd rounder. Resign Albert, draft best talent available. Or they could take Joeckle, use the money they decided not to use for Albert on other areas. Options. Not sure how I feel about Alex Smith going for that much but whatever, this draft is pretty weak for QBs. Instead of drafting one 2nd rd you have someone established. Curious with the conditions of next years pick tho.

Also how much is Alex Smith getting contract wise

BrickingStar 02-27-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franchise#3
I'll miss you Alex 49ers. Sad day for me. My favorite player ever is not on my team anymore :cry:

It's a good deal though. People need to forget how alex played 5 years ago and see what kind of player he is now.

A player who can't lead his team to the promise land and has been asked to being a safeguard on turnovers and relying on his run/defense? 17 TDs and 3100 yards is the most he's ever thrown, and when he has to try to carry a team he's 1-5 after throwing 40 passes. He will never be able to lead a team.

Nanners 02-27-2013 05:29 PM

I think its a little soon to say that the chiefs overpaid. One thing about Smith is he needs the right coach in order to succeed. After seeing how he played once Harbaugh showed up, I am very interested to see how he works with Reid, one of the best coaches in the game. Also looking back at recent trades, the going rate for a mediocre quarterback has been pretty damn high recently. If Smith can produce on a level similar to what he did with Harbs in SF, this is a good move for the Chiefs.

Great trade for SF too. I think this trade is a win/win for both sides.

Crown&Coke 02-27-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOBB
Also how much is Alex Smith getting contract wise

His salary for 2013 is 8.5, I think one mil guaranteed.

2014 I think its 9.5

They might rework his deal tho

Wouldn't have thought a 2nd rounder was available. I highly doubt they would have kep his 8.5 on the books as a backup considering they would want to re-up Goldson, they have some DT's who are also FA, Ricky Jean Francois and Sopoaga are both FA, both play the NT in that 3-4.

Niners got like 13 or 14 picks in this draft. Hope they load up on the lineman. Can never have too many passrushers, runstoppers or offensive line beasts. The game is won in the trenches

knickballer 02-27-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nanners
I think its a little soon to say that the chiefs overpaid. One thing about Smith is he needs the right coach in order to succeed. After seeing how he played once Harbaugh showed up, I am very interested to see how he works with Reid, one of the best coaches in the game. Also looking back at recent trades, the going rate for a mediocre quarterback has been pretty damn high recently. If Smith can produce on a level similar to what he did with Harbs in SF, this is a good move for the Chiefs.

Great trade for SF too. I think this trade is a win/win for both sides.

I hear alot of people saying that about Smith but people don't realize how inept the previous coaches were. Besides Norv Turner in 2006(which Alex made strides under) all of the coaches were awful. None of them had any creativity and most of them ran vanilla HS offenses(no joke). Smith also missed alot of time due to injury. Besides can't you say the same about every player practically?

The organization was a mess before Harbaugh or the new York came in. It wasn't just Alex who got better but basically everyone on the squad. Joe Staley, Anthony Davis, Dashon Goldson, Ahmad Brooks, Bowman, Boone, etc, all dramatically improved their play under Harbaugh.

GOBB 02-27-2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crown&Coke
His salary for 2013 is 8.5, I think one mil guaranteed.

2014 I think its 9.5

They might rework his deal tho

Wouldn't have thought a 2nd rounder was available. I highly doubt they would have kep his 8.5 on the books as a backup considering they would want to re-up Goldson, they have some DT's who are also FA, Ricky Jean Francois and Sopoaga are both FA, both play the NT in that 3-4.

Niners got like 13 or 14 picks in this draft. Hope they load up on the lineman. Can never have too many passrushers, runstoppers or offensive line beasts. The game is won in the trenches

Not sure if serious but if you are they need to trade those picks. Overkill. Trade up and/or for future picks. Agree with going with drafting in the trenches.

BrickingStar 02-27-2013 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOBB
Not sure if serious but if you are they need to trade those picks. Overkill. Trade up and/or for future picks. Agree with going with drafting in the trenches.

They have 12 right now and are expecting 3 conditional picks as well.

Heavincent 02-27-2013 10:55 PM

Apparently the 49ers are trying to use the picks they got to get Revis http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl---sources--niners-in-pursuit-of-darrelle-revis-211130553.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=t witter

Imagine the 49ers D with Revis :biggums:

I'll be beyond pissed if the Jets trade Revis though. I think they'll just suck it and pay him.