Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Philadelphia 76ers Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Philadelphia 76ers To Work Out Jay Williams, Marcus Haislip, And Draft Prospects. (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292)

LakerRaider 06-04-2006 06:15 PM

Philadelphia 76ers To Work Out Jay Williams, Marcus Haislip, And Draft Prospects.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/ne...06-665761.html

Foye, Collins feel the home cooking

By TOM MOORE

phillyBurbs.com

PHILADELPHIA — Randy Foye and Mardy Collins insist they would love to become 76ers.

Both four-year college players think they'd be good fits in Philadelphia, where they would help with their versatility, basketball knowledge and skills.

The Sixers claimed to be thrilled with what they observed of the former Villanova and Temple stars, both on and off the court, following Saturday's workout at PCOM.

“To see the guys compete up close is very impressive,” said team president Billy King.

King is trying to move up from the 13th position in the June 28 draft. He might not have an opportunity to land Foye if he stays at 13. Numerous mock drafts project Foye, a 6-4 guard, as either going fifth to the Hawks or seventh to the Celtics.

“Until my name is called, I can't really think about being top 10 or even a top 20 pick,” Foye said. “I just have to keep on coming to these workouts, grinding them out, being the best person I can be and the best basketball player I can be.”

King cited how most mock drafts had Andre Iguodala as the No. 6 selection in 2004, only for him fall into their laps at No. 9, and pointed out that Paul Pierce surprisingly slipped down to No. 9 in 1997, when the Sixers inexplicably passed on him in favor of Larry Hughes.

“You never know,” King said. “As you get going, some people start lobbying, some people fall in love with a guy, so guys can go all over the place.”

As for Collins, a 6-6 guard, he's likely to be available at No. 13.

“It's my hometown,” said Collins, a graduate of Simon Gratz High, alma mater of Aaron McKie and Rasheed Wallace. “I'd love to stay here. It'd be great. It'd definitely be a dream to play here.”

King appreciated the emphasis Foye and Collins, who have worked out for seven and eight NBA teams, respectively, placed on defense in their workouts and ensuing discussions.

“One of them said, "I think I can help Andre with the perimeter defensive players.' ” King said. “One of them said, "I can guard point guards, players up to 6-7.' It's amazing.”

For Foye and Collins, that could mean point or shooting guard in the NBA, depending on what team calls their names. That's just fine with them.

At Villanova, Foye averaged 20.5 points, 5.8 rebounds and hit plenty of big shots in earning first-team All-America honors for the Wildcats. He sometimes defended opposing power forwards in Jay Wright's four-guard offense, which Foye thinks will serve him well in the pros.

“When I'm going against a guy who's 6-6 and he tries to back me down, I know they feel the strength when they try to bang against me and I don't budge,” he said.

Collins, who was forced to handle the bulk of the offensive load at Temple, led the Owls in scoring (16.8), assists (4.0) and steals (2.8) last season.

“It'll definitely be a lot easier [with more scorers in the NBA],” Collins said. “It'll take a lot of attention off me. I can just get guys involved and then when they start to get it going, I can get my offense going a little bit.”

Sixers to look at Duke players

Among the players King, a Duke graduate, plans to bring to Philadelphia prior to the draft are Duke teammates J.J. Redick and Shelden Williams. Both are projected as middle first-rounders.

Free agent workouts

King said the Sixers worked out free agents Marcus Haislip and Chris Antsey earlier Saturday.

The 25-year-old Haislip, listed as 6-foot-10, spent two-plus years with the Bucks and part of 2004-05 with the Pacers before playing in Turkey last season.

In addition, the Sixers are planning to work out former Duke/Bulls guard Jay Williams, who is trying to come back after suffering serious injuries in a motorcycle accident three years ago, on June 19.

Tom Moore can be reached at 215-345-3070 or tmoore@phillyBurbs.com.

June 4, 2006 9:55 AM

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/ne...06-665761.html

GOBB 06-04-2006 06:17 PM

2nd sixers article you posted....can you post them in the Sixers FAM???????

Spike Spiegel 06-04-2006 06:18 PM

Hahah...Marcus Haislip...hahah...

LakerRaider 06-04-2006 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOBB
2nd sixers article you posted....can you post them in the Sixers FAM???????

Go ahead and do it man. I start a Fam to help another team out, and people complain, I post articles and people complain, if you want in the Philadelphia 76ers Fam, then go ahead and post it yourself.

A Roc 23 06-04-2006 06:29 PM

Mardy Collins is one player I really don't like.

DatZNasty 06-04-2006 07:25 PM

they better sign that damn Haislip

SixerFan03 06-05-2006 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Roc 23
Mardy Collins is one player I really don't like.

Really? Why? I'm just wondering. He's not all that quick, but he can score. I'm not sure if a guard is the way to go for the Sixers, though. I like Sheldon Williams better. Will Williams be there further down (the Sixers could trade down if they got a pick for the future)

Attila 06-05-2006 12:42 AM

What ever happened to Jay Williams aftre his bike accident?

LakerRaider 06-05-2006 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Attila
What ever happened to Jay Williams aftre his bike accident?

He's probably going to work out with the Philadelphia 76ers.

bracer028 06-05-2006 12:54 AM

hahahaa that was classic

anyways... i made a philly fam...got pushed to the last page probably...and no search feature

Holdingthebenchdown 06-05-2006 01:02 AM

One play by Marucs Hailsip I shall never forget was against the Nets when he was a Buck. He cleared over Kenyon Martin for a putback dunk. He got up, just dunked over Kenyon without Kenyon even seeing him, was amazing.. I remember him getting drafted was supposed to have a 40 plus vert... I believed it after I witness that jam.. :eek:

A Roc 23 06-05-2006 03:00 AM

Quote:

Really? Why? I'm just wondering. He's not all that quick, but he can score. I'm not sure if a guard is the way to go for the Sixers, though. I like Sheldon Williams better. Will Williams be there further down (the Sixers could trade down if they got a pick for the future)

Well to be completely honest I've only seen a few games and some highlights, but from what I've seen he is very slow and not very athletic. He also has a very bad shot, think Rondo with more arc. Guy has trouble hitting FTs.

A guard that isn't very quick/athletic and can't shoot FTs or 3s? It's one thing to have a poor % because of team collapsing on you, but it's another to not hit open 3s and at the line.

A Roc 23 06-05-2006 03:01 AM

Sheldon would be perfect in my opinion by the way. He will be a great rebounder in the league.

Milkman 06-05-2006 03:39 AM

Quote:

King said the Sixers worked out free agents Marcus Haislip and Chris Antsey earlier Saturday.

Sixers should get Chris Antsey! dude is a beast!

Rookie in Dallas:

To a beast today:

Beatin up mofos:

He dropped 25pts 10rebs in the playoffs, hitting 38% from 3, big fella got range aka dirk.

hawkfan 06-05-2006 04:15 AM

Williams

The Hawks ought to give Williams a two year, minimum guaranteed deal.

He's worth the risk, since the Hawks need help at point guard.

Otherwise, if he can't make it with the Hawks and he is healthy, he needs to head to Europe.