Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Writing your resume sucks... (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292089)

niko 02-28-2013 09:57 PM

Writing your resume sucks...

And the longer you've worked the harder it is and the more it sucks. I have to write an executive level resume, and it is completely the opposite of how my brain works, it's a results oriented resume, not a task oriented resume as it is when you are younger.

Shoot me so i can stop this.

9erempiree 02-28-2013 10:11 PM

Re: Writing your resume sucks...

I don't know how extensive they want it but usually you just go back to your last 3 employment positions.

Sounds to me like you are having to write a performance-based resume. Those are the ones that want you to explain and show what you did to make a company better and not what you just did.

Start to explain how you made them better when you left. Not knowing your profession, you may also want to explain how you made your employers more money.

It's basically a business plan like how you would present to the banks when applying for a loan.

niko 02-28-2013 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9erempiree
I don't know how extensive they want it but usually you just go back to your last 3 employment positions.

Sounds to me like you are having to write a performance-based resume. Those are the ones that want you to explain and show what you did to make a company better and not what you just did.

Start to explain how you made them better when you left. Not knowing your profession, you may also want to explain how you made your employers more money.

It's basically a business plan like how you would present to the banks when applying for a loan.

Yep. Took me a bit of time. I'm finance, finance is not about selling, it's about efficiency (to me). I find every little detail and enable decisions to be made quickly to make more money. This is not that. This is explaining that.

The Macho Man 02-28-2013 10:22 PM

My friend was trying to set me up with this job interview, told me to email him my resume. I was like "what resume, homie?"

niko 02-28-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Macho Man
My friend was trying to set me up with this job interview, told me to email him my resume. I was like "what resume, homie?"

Write your name, address, phone number on the top of the paper. then write EXPERIENCE and under that write "LOTS AND LOTS"

Instant resume.

BuGzBuNNy 02-28-2013 10:28 PM

Took a class last sem. where one of the major assignments was preparing a resume. All I really have to do now is make updates to it, glad to have taken the class

Mr. I'm So Rad 02-28-2013 10:30 PM

Try writing a resume never having worked a day in your life.

Experience: ISH

BuGzBuNNy 02-28-2013 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niko
Yep. Took me a bit of time. I'm finance, finance is not about selling, it's about efficiency (to me). I find every little detail and enable decisions to be made quickly to make more money. This is not that. This is explaining that.

never write complete sentences in a resume :no:

Nanners 02-28-2013 10:32 PM

first world problems in this thread

i certainly do agree that writing your resume sucks tho :oldlol:

niko 02-28-2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuGzBuNNy
never write complete sentences in a resume :no:

i'm good, i'm not. I have some very experienced people helping me and tearing it apart. My first pass made me sound less senior than i am.

The Macho Man 02-28-2013 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niko
Write your name, address, phone number on the top of the paper. then write EXPERIENCE and under that write "LOTS AND LOTS"

Instant resume.

I was considering just making shit up but decided I didn't want that shitty job anyhow.

flipogb 02-28-2013 10:57 PM

the worst part is every employer wants different things, its like gambling

9erempiree 02-28-2013 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flipogb
the worst part is every employer wants different things, its like gambling

Why not add both? Task and results?

KevinNYC 02-28-2013 11:16 PM

Good luck.

You need to get hip to how companies use Job candidate software ASAP.
http://www.npr.org/2012/02/08/146585...nline-oblivion
http://www.npr.org/2013/02/28/173122...rting-software

Apparently, you need to write your resume to be read by a computer system as well as a person.

I just got a job and it took me longer than I expected. Good luck.

netsfan549 02-28-2013 11:27 PM

How important is it to have one of those referral reference? my teacher said his going to make me a Thank you letter and could write me a referral letter. I am looking for a job