Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   College and High School Basketball Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Thoughts on Otto Porter? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292633)

Remix 03-06-2013 03:57 PM

Thoughts on Otto Porter?

I don't watch much college ball, but I have caught 3-4 Georgetown games, and this kid sticks out to me. He's tall and lengthy (I think 6'7" or 8") with a 7'+ wingspan. Although he needs to bulk up and gain 10-15 lbs, I think he can be an impact player in the NBA. From what I've read he's drastically improved his 3pt shooting from ~20% to 45%. His length would prove to be trouble against other SF's defensively. However, he seems to struggle getting the ball at times and creating for himself. His handles aren't that impressive either.

I see him being a mid lottery pick and with time developing into a Prince/Batum type player.

Burgz V2 03-06-2013 04:03 PM

Re: Thoughts on Otto Porter?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remix
I don't watch much college ball, but I have caught 3-4 Georgetown games, and this kid sticks out to me. He's tall and lengthy (I think 6'7" or 8") with a 7'+ wingspan. Although he needs to bulk up and gain 10-15 lbs, I think he can be an impact player in the NBA. From what I've read he's drastically improved his 3pt shooting from ~20% to 45%. His length would prove to be trouble against other SF's defensively. However, he seems to struggle getting the ball at times and creating for himself. His handles aren't that impressive either.

I see him being a mid lottery pick and with time developing into a Prince/Batum type player.

He's a nice player but he'll have to prove he can attack the basket off the dribble in order to succeed in the NBA. Georgetown has a great offensive system that has a lot of cutting and some Princeton action off the elbows, so the system almost does the work for him most of the time, and he's great at that no doubt. He will have a place in the league for a long time off defence alone but the style Georgetown plays doesn't really allow us to much more of him. I remember Jeff Green was projected as a mid-teens pick in the draft because they questioned his offensive ability but after the workouts he moved all the way up into the lottery and ended up being picked at 5. Might see a similar thing here when all is said and done.

Patrick Chewing 03-15-2013 02:39 AM

Some draft boards have him going as high as the third pick in the draft. He does have a good shot and is quick and lengthy. Agree that perhaps another 10-15 lbs will do him some good since he is listed as only being 205 even though he looks bigger.

Crazy thing is that he's practically the same height as Lebron but 45 pounds lighter.

ace23 03-15-2013 10:47 AM

Will be out of the league ini 5-10 years. Nothing special. Can't create his own shot. Too small to be a very effective post player. He's a sold "3 and D" type.

I think he'll be something like Mikeal Pietrus. I'd put his ceiling around Tayshaun Prince/poor man's Danny Granger.

JMT 03-15-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ace23
Will be out of the league ini 5-10 years. Nothing special. .

Since the league average for careers is under 5 years, that's not much of a critique.

I like his basketball IQ and length and think he'll be a successful pro. Not an All Star, but a solid producer who will be around a long time.

Like 5-10 years.

kNicKz 03-15-2013 12:11 PM

has a tendency to disappear in games, but when he's on he's on

willds09 03-15-2013 03:47 PM

College bball sucks these days:lol

ace23 03-15-2013 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT
Since the league average for careers is under 5 years, that's not much of a critique.

He's expected to go third in the draft. Five years is not long for someone with that much hype.

Thorpesaurous 03-20-2013 09:13 AM

I was at the Big East all week last week and got to see him twice, and I gotta say I was pretty impressed. Granted he was stymied pretty bad by the Syracuse Zone, but that just happens sometimes in college basketball. Syracuse made the adjustments and cut him off at that high post, but I really liked the way he worked to get the ball there.

From what I've seen, he's got the foundation of a good shot. It's a little hitchy, but it's really quick. He's a really really good passer. His sense for the high low game was really good, and he had a nice touch on balls, dropping them just past defenses. He's a better ball handler than some might say, but he's not a breakdown ballhandler, which is something he'll need to work on. He's a very good rebounder and defender as well.

The Jeff Green comp is a natural because of the school ties and the size. He reminds me a little of Shawn Marion although not quite peak Marion. I know the Georgetown people love him. The people I talked to claim he's the best G'Town player since Iverson, meaning better than Monroe, better than Green, better than Hibbert. I don't see him jumping those top freshman in the draft, but I think he's the next best prospect, and he'll be a very good pro.