Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Video Games Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   With the PS4 coming soon, when do you anticipate the end of the PS3? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292801)

Scholar 03-07-2013 11:40 PM

With the PS4 coming soon, when do you anticipate the end of the PS3?

Just curious. I recall in 2011, there were still titles being released for the PS2, such as NBA 2K11. Obviously, that was years after the PS3 had already been out.
I'm not someone who can buy a $500+ video game console* at any time, so I'm curious as to how long the PS3's life cycle should be anticipated.

*I'm assuming the new PlayStation will be around that price range for at least the first year.

clipse026 03-08-2013 12:02 AM

Re: With the PS4 coming soon, when do you anticipate the end of the PS3?

Probably 2015 if I had to guess. You've still got a bunch of AAA titles coming out this year and early next year. They may keep supporting it even longer since the hardware is still good unless they want to push the PS4 on you earlier.

Draz 03-09-2013 10:04 PM

I doubt they'll release a new console and keep the old one serviced for more than a year.

Rose 03-09-2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draz
I doubt they'll release a new console and keep the old one serviced for more than a year.

They just stopped making PS2 games literally this year.:oldlol:

I think the PS3 gets games for awhile. The first year of next gen systems always blows for exclusives. So they'll keep putting out everything for both 3 and 4. Then in probably 2-3 years they'll start limiting what gets released for the 3.

Sidenote: I think that this could be the first generation where people really wait to pick up any next generation system. For instance...I see no reason to upgrade my 360/ps3 aside from a RAM upgrade. Graphics aren't getting much better, storage is already great and will probably stay similar, so really just make the shit a bit faster, and I'd keep it. Hell if M$ put out a 360, and upgraded the RAM to something decent like 4gb or godforbid 8. I'd be more than happy if they slapped a sticker on it and called it a Xbox Infinity or 720 or whatever.* Just keep the controller the same, the accessories the same so that way everything is compatible and I'd be more than willing to shell out a cool 300-400 for that.

*also they have to have a blu-ray upgrade.

Timmy D for MVP 03-10-2013 04:46 PM

Like someone mentioned earlier they already have top titles being made with the anticipation that they would drop on the PS3. So at least a full year, but I think it will likely be 2 or so.

It will depend on how the PS4 does early.

B-Low 03-10-2013 09:02 PM

Honestly I think PS4 is gonna face more resistance than any new system ever has. PS3 JUST started satisfying a lot of customers and I know a lot of people who just made the move up to this generation of systems within the past year or two. The PS3 started off WAY too expensive and its just now getting down to a point where most people have been willing to buy it.

I can honestly see PS4 vs PS3 ending up like BluRay vs DVD. Sure there's gonna be some "gotta have it" people who jump on board right away, but the majority of the people are gonna take their time because to the casual eye there won't be the huge jump that there was when the switch from VHS to DVD happened (or in this case the huge jump when the switch from PS2 to PS3 happened). Blu Rays have been out for like 6-7 years and (aside from the hardcore collectors/entertainment buffs) most people I know have like 15-20 BluRays compared to hundreds of DVDs.

Just2McFly 03-10-2013 11:41 PM

to summarise what b-low eloquently stated, n*ggas don't have the money for this shit.

where is the market when this generation JUST hit the swing of things. Sony is stupid to be the last one and most costly in this current generation then come second in the next.

i honestly have no clue what they are doing. man ps4 might just be doomed tbh. i see people not adopting this system heavily for quite some time.

KG215 03-11-2013 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Low
Honestly I think PS4 is gonna face more resistance than any new system ever has. PS3 JUST started satisfying a lot of customers and I know a lot of people who just made the move up to this generation of systems within the past year or two. The PS3 started off WAY too expensive and its just now getting down to a point where most people have been willing to buy it.

I can honestly see PS4 vs PS3 ending up like BluRay vs DVD. Sure there's gonna be some "gotta have it" people who jump on board right away, but the majority of the people are gonna take their time because to the casual eye there won't be the huge jump that there was when the switch from VHS to DVD happened (or in this case the huge jump when the switch from PS2 to PS3 happened). Blu Rays have been out for like 6-7 years and (aside from the hardcore collectors/entertainment buffs) most people I know have like 15-20 BluRays compared to hundreds of DVDs.

Pretty much this. About a year go my first PS3 crapped out on me after 4 years. Warranty had run out and I figured I'd just buy a new one instead of paying the money and waiting however many weeks it'd take to ship it off, get it fixed, and get it sent back. Waited until Black Friday sales to get the new one so it wasn't even that bad. I've basically got a brand new PS3 and I see zero need to rush out and get a PS4.

I'm not very tech savvy so someone help me out by putting this in simple terms. The upgrade in graphics from PS3 to PS4....how big of an upgrade is that going to be? I mean how much better can they really get? I'm guessing it won't be the same as going from the original Playstation to a PS2, and frrm a PS2 to a PS3?

talkingconch 03-11-2013 02:13 AM

Just don't get why consoles have this short shelf life. Just 8 years? the first 2 years were pretty shitty as far as development for games is concerned, 2008-present we've seen alot of really good games.the ps3 can easily live another 4yrs easy. Games that are being released (for both consoles) are major titles. Bioshock infinite, gta 5, the last of us, what else am i missing?.. The new halo game? Assassins creed 4, god of war...

bdreason 03-11-2013 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KG215
Pretty much this. About a year go my first PS3 crapped out on me after 4 years. Warranty had run out and I figured I'd just buy a new one instead of paying the money and waiting however many weeks it'd take to ship it off, get it fixed, and get it sent back. Waited until Black Friday sales to get the new one so it wasn't even that bad. I've basically got a brand new PS3 and I see zero need to rush out and get a PS4.

I'm not very tech savvy so someone help me out by putting this in simple terms. The upgrade in graphics from PS3 to PS4....how big of an upgrade is that going to be? I mean how much better can they really get? I'm guessing it won't be the same as going from the original Playstation to a PS2, and frrm a PS2 to a PS3?

The PC I built over a year ago, will crush the PS4. What's nice about the PS4 is it is built on the X86 architecture, which will make it a million times easier for developers to design games. With this current generation, games are typically created for the XBox360, then ported to PC, then to PS3. With this next generation, games will be created for the PC and PS4 (and probably XBox) at the same time. Devs can now just develop games for PC, and they will work on the PS4, no porting (changing/downgrading) involved.

bdreason 03-11-2013 03:11 AM

And while PS3 production will continue through probably 2014, the games being developed for PS4 in the year 2014 are going to crush their PS3 counterparts. I also think the number of developers for PS3 games will dwindle swiftly. The system is simply a headache to develop games for, and I can't see too many development studios wanting to port games to PS3 assuming the PS4 does even moderate sales.

Rose 03-11-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KG215

Miniscule. It'll be like going from 720P to 1080P, some people will notice a difference others won't, and the difference people do notice will be a minor one.

We'll never get another jump in graphics like from ps1-2-3 again, because of the human eye. What you'll get is basically more detail in games rather than better looking because of the infinitely better RAM now.

SourPatchKids 03-11-2013 03:05 PM

Never!!

Bcogswell 03-12-2013 07:17 AM

I hope they keep producing games for the PS3 for at least a couple more years, I have absolutely no reason to upgrade to a PS4 anytime soon. :hammerhead:

JerryWest 03-12-2013 09:46 AM

I still feel like next gen is too early :(