Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Hitting your kid - Is it necessary? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292937)

joe 03-09-2013 04:12 AM

Hitting your kid - Is it necessary?

For those with kids, do you hit them for discipline?

I'm more interested to hear from those who DON'T hit their kids. How do you go about getting them under control when they're acting wild?

Flagrant 2 03-09-2013 04:33 AM

Re: Hitting your kid - Is it necessary?

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe
I'm more interested to hear from those who DON'T hit their kids. How do you go about getting them under control when they're acting wild?

That's a trick question. They're not under control and they grow up to be retards that can't think for themselves and don't appreciate and understand what is around them.

Crystallas 03-09-2013 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe
For those with kids, do you hit them for discipline?

If they're wild, release them into the woods after midnight.

Sorry, I had to.

Each circumstance will have different solutions. Never say never. My lady(not married, don't believe in it) and I agree that hitting is bad, as we both came from abusive parents. But also we recognized if our kid ever hurt anyone on purpose, that we wouldn't rule out a spanking. Luckily, we never needed to resort to such disciplinary measures. The fact is, loving parents create loving children.

If they get out of control, you find the source. 9/10 it's sugar. that 1/10, you sit them down and talk, monitor them for remorse. None of it is an easy task.

Brunch@Five 03-09-2013 07:50 AM

I believe that there are more than enough non-violent disciplinary methods.
You wanna bring your kids up with the mindset that violence is NEVER an appropriate means of behaviour. You will accomplish the opposite if you penalize in form of violence.

Bucket_Nakedz 03-09-2013 07:57 AM

its very necessary.

Bucket_Nakedz 03-09-2013 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brunch@Five
I believe that there are more than enough non-violent disciplinary methods.
You wanna bring your kids up with the mindset that violence is NEVER an appropriate means of behaviour. You will accomplish the opposite if you penalize in form of violence.

i admire your stance, but i can't respect it. the world is not a perfect place, and to ignore violence, is to ignore survival.

IamRAMBO24 03-09-2013 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucket_Nakedz
its very necessary.

It's also illegal.

If you want to survive nowadays, it's best not to lay hands on your kids or they will call the cops and take you to prison. Just play nice, take away their Ps3, and limit the family to one bucket of fried chicken per week or something.

Brunch@Five 03-09-2013 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucket_Nakedz
i admire your stance, but i can't respect it. the world is not a perfect place, and to ignore violence, is to ignore survival.

How am I ignoring violence? I'm teaching my kid that it is not appropriate to use. Unless you are attacked I don't see a situation where you would need to resort to violence. Nothing good comes from it.

Bucket_Nakedz 03-09-2013 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brunch@Five
Unless you are attacked

Burgz V2 03-09-2013 08:54 AM

well, when I have kids I probably wont beat them but that has nothing to do with them getting the wrong impression about violence, it's because society has changed from when I was growing up and less accepting of people who beat their kids.

when i was growing up my parents beat me with wooden spoons, unraveled wire hangers, belts, pretty much whatever they could get their hands on. Me and all my siblings included, and we all turned out just fine because we grew up within a large extended family that all kids were given spankings/beatings, so we never felt like they were being abusive, we just knew, "okay if I smash this vase, Im gonna get my ass kicked".

Some people might not understand it but society has changed, I'm not sure if there has ever been a time when spanking was so overwhelmingly frowned upon as now.

SCREWstonRockets 03-09-2013 12:52 PM

It worked for me. My parent stuck fear in me. I got arrested once, and I was more scared of my parents finding out than actually being arrested and taken in.

MMM 03-09-2013 02:22 PM

teaching by fear hinders human potential in my book. Kids need to make mistakes so they can learn free from fear.

MadeFromDust 03-09-2013 03:30 PM

"He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes." :pimp:

ace23 03-09-2013 03:31 PM

Of course it's not necessary.

dunksby 03-09-2013 03:39 PM

A slap every long once in a while could be helpful, I'm no parent but I would not take either end of the spectrum if I was to be one.