Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Self-motivation (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294469)

Patrick Chewing 03-27-2013 05:57 AM

Self-motivation
 
Does such a thing exist? And if it does, to what capacity?

We all tend to seek motivation someway somehow, but can we generate it from within? Can we all just flip a switch and motivate ourselves to do anything within our limits?

Or do we always need another human being as part of this human bond in this universe of ours to light that fire within us?

I ask these serious questions from a personal standpoint that I myself am void of any motivation from I guess a fear of failure. It's been that way since I can remember and there are probably a lot of contributing factors to that point. Therefore, I take the latter approach that human beings fare better with outside motivation in such that I suppose we feel we are not the only ones risking failure.

Am I right or am I wrong?

chains5000 03-27-2013 06:05 AM

Re: Self-motivation
 
Of course it exists.
For example, you've never ever tried to get better at sport?

In my case, I've gone from running 10k races to a marathon, just cause I felt like it.

If you fear failure, set goals you can make, and increase them one step at a time.

macmac 03-27-2013 06:06 AM

Re: Self-motivation
 
Honestly, to me, it sounds like you're a lazy biitch and you're just rationalizing this to give yourself excuses like fear of failure as to why you won't get off your as$. You're not scared of failing, you're too lazy to start anything. It's too easy today with all the mind numbing entertainment around us to just sit or lie down and not do shiiit....but eventually you feel empty and useless, so you get off your a$s and you find a way to make money, or find a girl, or start a family, or whatever the fukk your end goal drives you to...if you have no goals to drive you, it's depression you should be looking into, not this fear of failure bullshit

Patrick Chewing 03-27-2013 06:11 AM

Re: Self-motivation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by chains5000
just cause I felt like it.




There had to be a reason for that though. Was it a personal goal to achieve satisfaction or to achieve notoriety? Hate to sound cliche, but everything has a reason. That kind of spontaneity is hard to come by if you just felt like it.

chains5000 03-27-2013 06:17 AM

Re: Self-motivation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
There had to be a reason for that though. Was it a personal goal to achieve satisfaction or to achieve notoriety? Hate to sound cliche, but everything has a reason. That kind of spontaneity is hard to come by if you just felt like it.

I just wanted to get better.

Patrick Chewing 03-27-2013 06:18 AM

Re: Self-motivation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by macmac
Honestly, to me, it sounds like you're a lazy biitch and you're just rationalizing this to give yourself excuses like fear of failure as to why you won't get off your as$. You're not scared of failing, you're too lazy to start anything. It's too easy today with all the mind numbing entertainment around us to just sit or lie down and not do shiiit....but eventually you feel empty and useless, so you get off your a$s and you find a way to make money, or find a girl, or start a family, or whatever the fukk your end goal drives you to...if you have no goals to drive you, it's depression you should be looking into, not this fear of failure bullshit



You may have hit the nail on the head with a combination of both reasons you mentioned. Within the past year I lost my job and my house that I was renting and that led to a bit of a downward spiral, but nothing like depression. It clearly zapped my motivation what little of it I had.

Subsequently it took me a long while, damn near close to a year to find new employment and I kind of became numb to the idea of having a daily routine and setting weekly or monthly goals.

But let's step away from me for a sec. Do you think it's easier or harder to self-motivate yourself as opposed to having someone else help you along the way? Just trying to find the connection and how people just have that switch in their mind.

macmac 03-27-2013 06:32 AM

Re: Self-motivation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
You may have hit the nail on the head with a combination of both reasons you mentioned. Within the past year I lost my job and my house that I was renting and that led to a bit of a downward spiral, but nothing like depression. It clearly zapped my motivation what little of it I had.

Subsequently it took me a long while, damn near close to a year to find new employment and I kind of became numb to the idea of having a daily routine and setting weekly or monthly goals.

But let's step away from me for a sec. Do you think it's easier or harder to self-motivate yourself as opposed to having someone else help you along the way? Just trying to find the connection and how people just have that switch in their mind.


I think it depends how strong you are as a person. How much fire burns inside you. You can self motivate and still have extrinsic rewards and goals. Some more submissive people need someone else to tell them what to do because they have less fire, less inner drive Aka followers. If you can do the work but just need someone to direct you and tell you what to do, then you are weak and need a stronger person to order you around, even though you know what needs doing, because you don't have confidence in your own decision making and also want to absolve yourself from future responsibility as well, in case of failure or shit going wrong...it can also be a flaw in your organizing skills and/or seeing life day by day instead of seeing the bigger picture...you need someone to organize your life for you...but all these are just character flaws that have gone untreated for too long and have crippled a human from functioning in a productive way

IamRAMBO24 03-27-2013 06:44 AM

Re: Self-motivation
 
All motivation is self motivation. Even if you have an outside influence who can strongly motivate you, it is you who are driven to succeed; the person can't make you succeed, he is only a tool that helps you succeed.

JohnnySic 03-27-2013 07:04 AM

Re: Self-motivation
 
Self motivation is everything. For example, I'm self motivated to go to the gym every day. If you need someone or something else to motivate you, you've failed already.

fiddy 03-27-2013 07:39 AM

Re: Self-motivation
 
I've been unemployed from the 1st of January this year. I knew i would because the project my company was working on ended. Three months ago i thought i would do something useful with my time like learning C# or something. All i did was playing LOL all the ****ing time. I ****ing hate myself right now for having zero self discipline/motivation.

highwhey 03-27-2013 12:11 PM

Re: Self-motivation
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by macmac
I think it depends how strong you are as a person. How much fire burns inside you. You can self motivate and still have extrinsic rewards and goals. Some more submissive people need someone else to tell them what to do because they have less fire, less inner drive Aka followers. If you can do the work but just need someone to direct you and tell you what to do, then you are weak and need a stronger person to order you around, even though you know what needs doing, because you don't have confidence in your own decision making and also want to absolve yourself from future responsibility as well, in case of failure or shit going wrong...it can also be a flaw in your organizing skills and/or seeing life day by day instead of seeing the bigger picture...you need someone to organize your life for you...but all these are just character flaws that have gone untreated for too long and have crippled a human from functioning in a productive way

mfer just described highwey

Stuckey 03-27-2013 01:57 PM

Re: Self-motivation
 
totally struggling with this right now

I should be doing this this and that but I'm distracted constantly

back in high school, it was my parents who motivated (forced) me to achieve goals

now I don't have them to drill sergeant me any more and I only get nagging from the wife who is snuggie soft

yeah, I need a drill sergeant to light a fire under my a$s

Bandito 03-27-2013 03:29 PM

Re: Self-motivation
 
I'm just saving money to either get laid by skanks or to buy stuff to work out like the protein mix for the shakes. My life may be pitiful but after 3 years while getting laid like maybe three times right now I don't give a **** about the consequences. I am doing this until I am 30 and maybe I'll save money and get fat like everybody else.

Just2McFly 03-27-2013 03:59 PM

Re: Self-motivation
 
i cant take some posters seriously so in threads like these i just ignore their posts

sometimes i just need to think of the consequences of not doing this or that, just to get myself going. having a purpose for you life will help with your drive, you have to have that why answered to keep going imo

OhNoTimNoSho 03-27-2013 04:53 PM

Re: Self-motivation
 
Does self motivation exist?


Not on ISH it doesn't.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy