Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Ridiculous and common misconceptions about sports (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294608)

Tarik One 03-28-2013 12:28 PM

Ridiculous and common misconceptions about sports

- Any time a team loses a down the stretch, it's a choke. If you blow a 15 point lead in the 2nd quarter, why isn't that labeled a choke? Teams go through spurts and droughts throughout the game, but all the emphasis is put on the ending

- People thinking that athletes and celebrities giving lots of money to charity = them being good people. "Oh, he's not a douche, he gave 2 million to blah blah blah".
Most charities are chosen and mandated by the teams they play for

- That you can't be a fan of a team unless you were born and raised in the general location of that teams stadium.

-p.tiddy- 03-28-2013 12:47 PM

Re: Ridiculous and common misconceptions about sports

being a Dallas fan, all teams, Cowboys, Mavs (pre-ring), and even Rangers...I know fully how overblown the word "choke" is used...it is used in half the games that are played

the worst misconception to me is "clutch gene" :facepalm ...as though playing well in the 4th quarter rather than the first 3 quarters is someone engraved in our DNA. Romo threw an INT in the 4th?...oh that is his missing clutch gene, he was born without that poor guy :oldlol: ...(nevermind the fact that he actually threw more INTs on average at beginings of games)

Dirk lost in the playoffs after winning MVP?...that is because of his bad "clutch gene"...Dirk will never win a ring because "winning" is not in his DNA :facepalm

it's just all so simple minded and stupid...

Scholar 03-28-2013 01:58 PM

- A Cavaliers fan is suddenly a Miami Heat fan as of 2010, but he's been the fan of Miami from the get-go. It just so happens that now everyone else is noticing his fan-dom. (Yeah, keep telling yourselves that, LeBron homers)

- A scrub who averages 50% FG in the guard position could average the same if he started over his All-Star teammate... Umm... No. Usually the scrub who hits 50% of his shots is hitting them because the star is drawing all the defense away. Make that scrub the 1st option and chances are his FG% drops significantly.

Rake2204 03-28-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
being a Dallas fan, all teams, Cowboys, Mavs (pre-ring), and even Rangers...I know fully how overblown the word "choke" is used...it is used in half the games that are played

the worst misconception to me is "clutch gene" :facepalm ...as though playing well in the 4th quarter rather than the first 3 quarters is someone engraved in our DNA. Romo threw an INT in the 4th?...oh that is his missing clutch gene, he was born without that poor guy :oldlol: ...(nevermind the fact that he actually threw more INTs on average at beginings of games)

Dirk lost in the playoffs after winning MVP?...that is because of his bad "clutch gene"...Dirk will never win a ring because "winning" is not in his DNA :facepalm

I agree regarding the idea of clutch. I think the word itself has been raised to mythical proportions without always having logical reasoning behind applying the label to one player while withholding it from another. There seems to be a fair amount of players out there who miss a ton of late game shots, failing at a higher percentage than many of their counterparts. Yet, if that first player plays for a prominent team and has hit a popular late shot at some point, folks seem to force the clutch association with that person's name until it's accepted as absolute truth.

Qwyjibo 03-28-2013 02:53 PM

I hate the whole idea of "clutch players", at least when it comes to the sports I follow the most (baseball and basketball).

IMO, there is no such thing as a "clutch player". Someone can make clutch plays, sure, but being "clutch" is not a skill. Great players will generally always be the most clutch ones simply because they are great/productive to begin with. Not the other way around. There are exceptions the rule like for guys who can't shoot FTs in basketball but are amazing otherwise.

If being clutch was a skill, we'd see overall average players that suddenly rise up to the occasion on a regular basis in these clutch situations. That doesn't happen in the long-run. It's generally the best overall players in the sport. And no, Robert Horry hitting a couple huge shots in a long career isn't a regular basis.

macmac 03-28-2013 03:42 PM

I think the term clutch means the ability to perform at an incredible level when there is the most pressure on you, when the stakes are highest and every moment is being magnified and scrutinized. Some people tend to do well in these moments and rise to the occasion. They are able to maintain composure and elevate their game despite and/or with the help of increased adrenaline and electricity in the stands.

Others can play great for 3 quarters and choke or freeze up when it's do or die, the crowd is going crazy and you know if you miss, it will be replayed over and over on espn, etc. Aka Chris Webber time out

All these factors come into play. The word does get thrown around too often. But there are definitely players that have the ability to do better under these conditions, or at least not let it affect their play

ace23 03-28-2013 03:50 PM

None of these is really misconceptions, just opinions.

SilkkTheShocker 03-28-2013 03:54 PM

That Kobe at anytime in the league was the best player in the league. Never happened.

goldenryan 03-28-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

I will play devil's advocate.Clutch means coming through under pressure. In the final minutes of the game with the game in the balance. You either step up or you fold under. Romo has repeatedly thrown ints in final possessions. He has earned his "choker" label.

SilkkTheShocker 03-28-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

The Rangers are most definitely choke artists.

DMV2 03-28-2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
The Rangers are most definitely choke artists.

Their World Series against the Cardinals was definitely a choke job on the highest level of choke jobs. They choked twice in Game 6.

Jameerthefear 03-28-2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scholar
- A Cavaliers fan is suddenly a Miami Heat fan as of 2010, but he's been the fan of Miami from the get-go. It just so happens that now everyone else is noticing his fan-dom. (Yeah, keep telling yourselves that, LeBron homers)

- A scrub who averages 50% FG in the guard position could average the same if he started over his All-Star teammate... Umm... No. Usually the scrub who hits 50% of his shots is hitting them because the star is drawing all the defense away. Make that scrub the 1st option and chances are his FG% drops significantly.

My school there are TONS of bandwagon Miami fans. Then they act all superior (I'm an Orlando fan) when you know they just flip-flop :facepalm

Burgz V2 03-28-2013 06:23 PM

i second the idea of the inherently "clutch" player. Those players considered clutch are ALREADY pretty good (Kobe, MJ, Reggie) and will take the majority of shots in late game situations. So while they will make a ton of game winners, they also miss a ton, but no one ever remembers the misses.

The choking idea kinda disagree with (to the OP). A basketball game is VERY different in the 2nd vs. the 4th. In the second there are still adjustments being made, and still an element of surprise to deal with. By the 4th you've already seen most of what the other team can throw at you, meaning it should be more difficult to exploit any advantages that you had earlier in the game (unless the coach of the other team is a moron and doesn't realize it). So if you are up 15 with 6 mins left in the 4th, that means you pretty much have seen most of what the other team can do and you should be less susceptible to any let downs strategically. The only way there could be a failure would be with the quality of your performance (ie. making shots, diving for loose balls, not turning the ball over, tangible actions that translate into production). If a team goes on a 15-0 run and end up winning the game, running the same stuff they ran the whole game, I'm sorry, but that's a choke. Either that or the losing team is a bunch of f*cking idiots.

SilkkTheShocker 03-28-2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMV2
Their World Series against the Cardinals was definitely a choke job on the highest level of choke jobs. They choked twice in Game 6.

By far the biggest in sports history.

miller-time 03-28-2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burgz V2
i second the idea of the inherently "clutch" player. Those players considered clutch are ALREADY pretty good (Kobe, MJ, Reggie) and will take the majority of shots in late game situations. So while they will make a ton of game winners, they also miss a ton, but no one ever remembers the misses.

I also think that even the idea of clutch shots being a good thing is stupid. Having to hit game winners means that your team was barely able to win the game (at least playing mediocre to poor teams). I'd much rather have a player or team that can play consistently throughout the game instead of relying on them to make big shots. Kobe right now is kind of an example of that. Of the few games I have managed to watch over the last couple of weeks, Kobe seems to almost non existent throughout the first 3 quarters only to have a big scoring 4th quarter. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. But he should be playing better over the entire game than in just one quarter. However he is still praised when if he does manage to pull it off. No, be annoyed he wasn't able to get it done in his first 30 minutes of playing time.