Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   When a proffessional player comes out gay... (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=295925)

niko 04-11-2013 07:53 PM

When a proffessional player comes out gay...

It's going to be a story for all of about 27 seconds, unless it's a huge name (like Lebron) where the story will be THAT player and that he's gay, not big because of just the gay angle.

It's the biggest non story in the world and it gets so much coverage. Does everyone think honestly that no team has a player the other players know are gay? Out of 3 major sports, all those teams, not one?

I can't wait till the Dallas Cowboys 19th cornerback on the practice squad announces they are gay and ESPN tries to brand the person a national hero. Note: GAYS ARE NOT BANNED FROM PLAYING.

Bump this if i'm wrong...will be a total non story.

-p.tiddy- 04-11-2013 08:04 PM

Re: When a proffessional player comes out gay...

I think if it is the NFL and the player is an active starter it will be a huge story...

a former SF 49ers scrub came out just last year and it got little news...the player needs to be active and he needs to be a starter, someone that actually has a key role

in the NBA it would still be big I think but just not as big as the NFL, mostly due to the fact that the NFL is much more popular in general as well as more "macho"

a football locker room is one of the most homophobic settings there is...anyone here that has played football I am sure heard the word "f@g" on a daily basis not only from teammates but perhaps even the coaches as well...

LamarOdom 04-11-2013 08:05 PM

awkward in nfl when the guy is bending over.

niko 04-11-2013 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
I think if it is the NFL and the player is an active starter it will be a huge story...

a former SF 49ers scrub came out just last year and it got little news...the player needs to be active and he needs to be a starter, someone that actually has a key role

in the NBA it would still be big I think but just not as big as the NFL, mostly due to the fact that the NFL is much more popular in general as well as more "macho"

a football locker room is one of the most homophobic settings there is...anyone here that has played football I am sure heard the word "f@g" on a daily basis not only from teammates but perhaps even the coaches as well...

And they'll shut up, they'll be maybe one or two players who say something and they'll get skewered by the media. You can't discriminate like that openly. And it's against the wishes of the PA, they'll hammer you. If the PA is saying not to say anything, the team is saying not to say anything, and society is standing behind you with a hangmans noose asking you if you have a problem? You don't.

It will get attention for a short time but it will be forced attention. ESPN shouting LOOK AT THIS STORY! THIS IS IMPORTANT!

It's 2013, people are gay. Anyone who hasn't figured this out has issues.

-p.tiddy- 04-11-2013 08:29 PM

ignorance exists in 2013 and it will in 3013 as well...

miller-time 04-11-2013 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niko
And they'll shut up, they'll be maybe one or two players who say something and they'll get skewered by the media.

This. Tim Hardaway got lambasted after his homophobic comments a few years ago.

But it seems like he is working on it now

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...way/index.html

niko 04-11-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
ignorance exists in 2013 and it will in 3013 as well...

Yeah but it's not a big story. A few players complaining is not a big story. And it will not be more than a few because if they pursue it, there careers will be shit.

There are people who hate black people, a ridiculous amount of ignorant racism, and yet blacks play ball with no issue. The ignorant will not stop this from occuring.

Patrick Chewing 04-11-2013 09:33 PM

These gay people be everywhere though

KingBeasley08 04-11-2013 09:35 PM

Agree with PT. Nobody's gonna openly discriminate but in the locker room, that player is gonna get a lot of shit

-p.tiddy- 04-11-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingBeasley08
Agree with PT. Nobody's gonna openly discriminate but in the locker room, that player is gonna get a lot of shit

he'll be an out cast in the same way that the first black players were

no one is going to go out and party with him, or eat lunch with him in the fear that they will be labeled as gay with him...

I'm not sure it will ever be on a normal level either, at least not any time soon, because unlike blacks there just aren't that many gays in sports

Lakers Legend#32 04-12-2013 02:50 AM

This will be a big story because in the 100 plus years of the three major sports in this country (I don't consider the NHL to be a major sport) no one has come out yet. History wise, this will be a big deal.

Also, NFL fans in the more conservative, Southern parts of the country will not be so welcoming. See Dallas, Tennessee, Carolina, Atlanta for examples.

gigantes 04-12-2013 02:56 AM

this is a guitar string, seen through a type of microscope.
enjoy.

miller-time 04-12-2013 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
These gay people be everywhere though

They've always been there though, you just couldn't see them.

gigantes 04-12-2013 06:02 AM

you just need to get your eyewear prescription updated, mister chewing.

JtotheIzzo 04-12-2013 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gigantes
this is a guitar string, seen through a type of microscope.
enjoy.

so f*ckin gay!

4 NFL players coming out at the same time this fall.

BOOK IT