Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Jason Collins comes out, reveals he is gay (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=297887)

KembaWalker 04-29-2013 11:13 AM

Jason Collins comes out, reveals he is gay

Jason Collins:

I'm a 34-year-old NBA center. I'm black. And I'm gay.
I didn't set out to be the first openly gay athlete playing in a major American team sport. But since I am, I'm happy to start the conversation. I wish I wasn't the kid in the classroom raising his hand and saying, "I'm different." If I had my way, someone else would have already done this. Nobody has, which is why I'm raising my hand.
My journey of self-discovery and self-acknowledgement began in my hometown of Los Angeles and has taken me through two state high school championships, the NCAA Final Four and the Elite Eight, and nine playoffs in 12 NBA seasons.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mag...#ixzz2Rrh8O559

Major respect for having the guts to do that man, hopefully everyone is accepting of it :applause:

andremiller07 04-29-2013 11:16 AM

Re: Jason Collins comes out

I don't get why its so important for someone to tell the whole world they are gay, who cares keep it to yourself/people you know no need to tell everyone. Literally on every TV series/Movie there is a gay guy who cares if Jason Collins is gay its kinda annoying people keep coming out and making a big deal of it.

kNicKz 04-29-2013 11:17 AM

I don't understand the whole "coming out" shit. Why do you have to announce to everyone that you are gay? If you're gay and are seeing men, congrats...no one gives a ****

Foster5k 04-29-2013 11:17 AM

Finally someone Magic Johnson's son can look up to.

kNicKz 04-29-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andremiller07
I don't get why its so important for someone to tell the whole world they are gay, who cares keep it to yourself/people you know no need to tell everyone. Literally on every TV series/Movie there is a gay guy who cares if Jason Collins is gay its kinda annoying people keep coming out and making a big deal of it.

I'm planning a press conference to announce my heterosexuality

Rubio2Gasol 04-29-2013 11:18 AM

Defended a clutch inbound play beautifully yesterday :applause:

chosen_one6 04-29-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kNicKz
I don't understand the whole "coming out" shit. Why do you have to announce to everyone that you are gay? If you're gay and are seeing men, congrats...no one gives a ****

Because it's not "normal" in mainstream American media and society.

It's a big deal in the LGBT community. Just because you don't care doesn't mean other people don't.

Foster5k 04-29-2013 11:20 AM

Re: Jason Collins comes out, reveals he is gay

Doc Rivers: :facepalm

Eric Cartman 04-29-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

People do care and they serve for inspiration for flaming homosexual teenagers that don't have the courage to express who they truly are.

Baliod 04-29-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubio2Gasol
Defended a clutch inbound play beautifully yesterday :applause:

I think that was Wilcox

macmac 04-29-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

The reason they "come out" is because they've hid it from a lot of people in their life and it probably caused them significant stress and anxiety. Coming out just clears the air with everyone. It's like a facebook update. Jason Collins changed his status to homo.

Haymaker 04-29-2013 11:23 AM

Maybe he wants to create awareness of the difficulty of living a double life just because of his sexual orientation.

imdaman99 04-29-2013 11:24 AM

coming clean means he can live comfortably now. well, within himself at least.

its a lot of weight off his shoulders probly

good luck jason collins, you look like a duck. but you're brave :applause:

andremiller07 04-29-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macmac
The reason they "come out" is because they've hid it from a lot of people in their life and it probably caused them significant stress and anxiety. Coming out just clears the air with everyone. It's like a facebook update. Jason Collins changed his status to homo.

So they just can't tell there close friends/family they have to go on one of the biggest sports magazines/websites or whatever it is and tell everyone hey look at me I'm gay? This is nothing more than attention seeking...........

bagelred 04-29-2013 11:25 AM

Jarron Collins: "Well, I guess we ain't identical then, cause I LOVES da pusssy."